Wear bathing suit onto ship?

frosts

Does anyone wear their bathing with a nice cover up onto the ship during embarking?  By cover up I mean a dress that covers the whole bathing suit. For guys a bathing suit and a tee. Seems easier.

15 minutes ago, frosts said:

Does anyone wear their bathing with a nice cover up onto the ship during embarking?  By cover up I mean a dress that covers the whole bathing suit. For guys a bathing suit and a tee. Seems easier.

I'm betting that a main factor in the answers you will get involves which cruise line (as well as the itinerary). 

That said, there's a practical consideration as well. Though unusual, there are those RARE occasions where a checked bag is misplaced (it's not just airports). In those cases, what you're left with is that change of clothes (along side your valuables) in your carry-on and the clothes on your back. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, frosts said:

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

Yes. It is done. 

Easier?.. would depend on what you like doing once you board, also what time you are boarding. I take it this is your Carnival booking.

If you check in around 1 p.m., your cabin will likely be ready by the time you board. That way your would be able to put away any valuables and whatever else you may have in your carry on bag. 

Many people like getting a bite to eat. While you would be able to get something to eat in the pool areas, you would need to "cover up" if you were to enter the buffet areas. 

If all you are interested in doing is getting a drink and soaking in a hot tub, you will be fine, but you could just as easily change in a washroom before your cabin is ready.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

If clothing (dress) is going to be worn on top, then I don't even understand why there would be a question.     I hope no one is going to check to make sure you are wearing "appropriate" underwear.  Hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I usually do. If I am coming from a warm weather port like Miami, chances are I was already in a pool/beach that day.

Where are the fashion police to tell us all that the charm is gone because people used to board in a full suit?

I have done this! Sundress on top so I can hit the dining room for lunch! Wear what you want and will be happy in. I am not a fan of changing in the bathroom, I would rather be ready to enjoy my deck time especially during a winter trip when I crave the sunshine!

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, frosts said:

If you're under 10 years old,,,sure.

• Like 1

Primary reason I don’t do this is I am uncomfortable leaving money, passport etc in a bag by the pool while I go swimming.  So I won’t hit the pool until after I have gained access to room (and safe) So no big deal to change then.   

The person that mentioned which cruise line you'll be on made a good point.

If you are talking about HAL, Carnival, Royal, NCL, etc., I'm sure you won't be the only one.  Personally I wouldn't do it, but as long as your swimsuit is fully covered, you won't be turned away.

If you are cruising on an upscale or luxury line, it would look out of place, and you might even get some odd looks from other cruisers.  It would not meet the dress code for some of those lines in the restaurants--a few don't want bathing suits (even with the required cover up) anytime except to/from and at the pool.  Then again, typically the pools aren't the attraction on those lines that they are on the mass market lines.

If the weather is conducive to "pooling" from where/when your cruise is departing from....I wouldn't wear JUST the bathing suit, but certainly under whatever else you have on, you're fine.   I've seen people in the ship's pool many times minutes after boarding.

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

The person that mentioned which cruise line you'll be on made a good point.

If you are talking about HAL, Carnival, Royal, NCL, etc., I'm sure you won't be the only one.  Personally I wouldn't do it, but as long as your swimsuit is fully covered, you won't be turned away.

If you are cruising on an upscale or luxury line, it would look out of place, and you might even get some odd looks from other cruisers.  It would not meet the dress code for some of those lines in the restaurants--a few don't want bathing suits (even with the required cover up) anytime except to/from and at the pool.  Then again, typically the pools aren't the attraction on those lines that they are on the mass market lines.

Wouldn’t what you were wearing over the bathing suit be more the issue though.

With Carnival one could wear a much more relaxed cover up than on Cunard.  But if the OP was to wear a sundress on Cunard that is appropriate with regular underwear, it is still appropriate if hiding a swimsuit.  

2 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I don't consider Cunard an upscale or luxury line.  Sure, Queens Grill is upscale dining, but anywhere else on the ship you're just another mass market cruiser.

Fair.  But doesn’t change my overall point.  If the outerwear is appropriate for the particular cruise ship, it shouldn’t matter if one is wearing normal underwear or a bathing suit underneath.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Fair.  But doesn’t change my overall point.  If the outerwear is appropriate for the particular cruise ship, it shouldn’t matter if one is wearing normal underwear or a bathing suit underneath.  

I never said it was a problem--IF it meets that ships dress code.  It does not meet the dress code of the majority of luxury lines.  And again, even if it did, a person is likely to get odd looks--bathing suits are almost always apparent under street clothes..  

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

No matter the cruise line. If anyone is checking you out and giving you the stink eye or odd looks because you are wearing a bathing suit under your street clothes, they need to get a life. 🙄 Tell them to take a picture, it will last longer. 

Edited by davekathy

On 7/27/2019 at 8:12 PM, frosts said:

Thanks for the replies.  I was just thinking it takes up less room to put a light sun dress in my carry on then all my swim stuff.  

Hold on a sec......   I can understand easier vs changing in the bathroom......but because of space in a carry on?????????

How much room does a bathing suit require?  I have yet to see a women’s swim suit that requires more luggage room than a tee shirt.  And bikinis require significantly less.  

If you are wearing a swimsuit under your clothes you are going to want to make sure you have underwear to change into.  If  you are wearing underwear you will pack the swimsuit.  Everything else will be the same carry on luggage wise....and space difference between the two would be too tiny to notice.

I don't usually wear my swim suit under my clothes.  I put it in my carry on and change in one of the bathrooms.  When we board, we don't usually go straight to the pool deck.  When we finally do get there, that's when I change, and I change back before muster.  But that's just me.  Do whatever makes you comfortable.  😃 

16 hours ago, davekathy said:

No matter the cruise line. If anyone is checking you out and giving you the stink eye or odd looks because you are wearing a bathing suit under your street clothes, they need to get a life. 🙄 Tell them to take a picture, it will last longer. 

It is human nature to notice something that stands out.  On a luxury line, a person boarding wearing a swim suit under a cover up or sundress would stand out.  Therefore, it would be noticed and the person would probably be looked at for a few seconds while the brain was processing the reason that person caught the eye.  Our basic instincts alert us to the unexpected--it has nothing to do with "stink eye" and everything to do with the way our brains are wired for survival.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I'm still trying to understand that a sun dress over a bathing suit does not meet your luxury line's dress code.  Is that truly the case?

There are some lines that don't want bathing suits even with cover ups over them in public spaces unless going to/from the pool.  It's not my code, it's theirs.

Crystal:

Throughout the day, our guests wear a mix of active resort wear. Waterside dining room attire is casual during the day; however, swimsuits, swimsuit cover–ups/robes, baseball hats and denim cutoff shorts are not appropriate.

Regent:

Daytime Dress Code (until 6 p.m.) During the day, resort style clothing (including shorts, warm-up suits, jeans and sneakers) is acceptable in all public areas. Bare feet are acceptable only on the Pool Deck. Note: Bathing suits, while acceptable at the Pool Bar and Grill, are not considered appropriate in any indoor venue.