Wear bathing suit onto ship?

frosts

If you don't want o change in a restroom into a bathing suit before your cabin is ready (I can't blame you) there is always the spa.  The changing rooms are much cleaner and I can't imagine you'd be turned away.

31 minutes ago, ducklite said:

There are some lines that don't want bathing suits even with cover ups over them in public spaces unless going to/from the pool.  It's not my code, it's theirs.

Crystal:

Throughout the day, our guests wear a mix of active resort wear. Waterside dining room attire is casual during the day; however, swimsuits, swimsuit cover–ups/robes, baseball hats and denim cutoff shorts are not appropriate.

Regent:

Daytime Dress Code (until 6 p.m.) During the day, resort style clothing (including shorts, warm-up suits, jeans and sneakers) is acceptable in all public areas. Bare feet are acceptable only on the Pool Deck. Note: Bathing suits, while acceptable at the Pool Bar and Grill, are not considered appropriate in any indoor venue.

Even the mass market cruise lines published these stipulations for the dining rooms. Your examples have nothing to do with getting onboard the ship on embarkation day and wearing what the OP described. The OPs thread has nothing to do with the dining venues and only with boarding the ship at the time embarkation. 

Oh my gosh, I doubt the majority of people would care if someone wore a bathing suit under a sundress to board a ship.  People who are that concerned about what other people wear under a sundress should get a life.  When I am in a terminal waiting to board a ship, I am thinking about what a great time I am about to have and not what people are wearing under their clothes.

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

It has nothing to do with what someone thinks.  It's entirely an instinct to look at something that seems out of place and even "stare" for a few seconds for the brain to catch up with the eyes to determine what it is that the eye caught sight of.  If you want to call that the "Stink eye" that's on you.  I call it the brain doing what it was meant to do.

Again not disagreeing. Speaking only for myself, I'll look. Not matter what it might be. My only exception to what you have posted is "On a luxury line, a person boarding wearing a swim suit under a cover up or sundress would stand out". Possibly to you. You can't say what others are possibly thinking. If that's the case why do you narrow it down to those cruising on the luxury cruise line? 

Edited by davekathy

I will preface my remarks by saying I'm a guy, therefore I know nothing about fashion.

If the dress completely covers the bathing suit how would anyone know what the OP is wearing underneath?  Is it some kind of special sight other women have? 

Guys, if I wear my speedo underneath my travel pants, can you tell it's my speedo and not my tighty- whities?🤔

...... and why are you looking???

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Maybe you missed the part where waterside swimsuits and cover ups are appropriate, but not throughout the ship.

No I didn't miss anything but you are miss reading what you posted. What you posted said nothing about "waterside swimsuits and cover ups". What you posted about Crystal states for the Waterside dining room.  Say's nothing about the rest of the ship. 

Crystal:

Throughout the day, our guests wear a mix of active resort wear. Waterside dining room attire is casual during the day; however, swimsuits, swimsuit cover–ups/robes, baseball hats and denim cutoff shorts are not appropriate.

Edited by davekathy

27 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Maybe you missed the part where waterside swimsuits and cover ups are appropriate, but not throughout the ship.

I’ve yet to cruise a line, luxury included, that has a Star Trek style transporter that can beam a person from their room to the pool.  So how exactly does one get from one to the other without going “throughout  the ship”?  And how would that be different from initial boarding?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Which luxury lines have you sailed on?

Name it, basically. I’m a former partner of a Miami cruise travel firm so I’ve cruised almost every recognizable line. My most recent was on Viking Ocean. Second most recent was Silversea. Then Windstar.  After that, they start to blend. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2019 at 6:05 PM, frosts said:

Does anyone wear their bathing with a nice cover up onto the ship during embarking?  By cover up I mean a dress that covers the whole bathing suit. For guys a bathing suit and a tee. Seems easier.

Nope -- there are lots of other things to do when you get on the ship.  You will have plenty of time to use the pool.

I wear a swimming suit everyday from April to December.   I have had hot flashes forever and I find them very comfortable. If I am cold, I add a top.   I can wear them with anything and everything.  I have 30 or more.  Solids are great with prints and florals.   The swim suit section is my first stop in stores.   I have several scarf dresses and wear a suit under it to run errands.   I get more compliments and my straps do show -  I do wear a solid color one.   I wear them with a skirt and blouse or a light jacket.   I wear them in the MDR for dinner.   I have several that look really nice with a skirt and sequin blouse/jacket.  If you re wearing an open top over it, no one really knows if it a swimming suit or a type of tank top.

On 8/8/2019 at 9:52 AM, ducklite said:

If you don't want o change in a restroom into a bathing suit before your cabin is ready (I can't blame you)

LOL.  You'll sit on a toilet seat but you don't want to change clothes?  Huh?  Doesn't affect us cause we don't even bring bathing suits.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, ducklite said:

There are some lines that don't want bathing suits even with cover ups over them in public spaces unless going to/from the pool.  It's not my code, it's theirs.
Crystal:

Regent:

Daytime Dress Code (until 6 p.m.) During the day, resort style clothing (including shorts, warm-up suits, jeans and sneakers) is acceptable in all public areas. Bare feet are acceptable only on the Pool Deck. Note: Bathing suits, while acceptable at the Pool Bar and Grill, are not considered appropriate in any indoor venue.

Pardon me while my slack-jaw'd mass market self thinks out loud.....but how does one get from their room to the pool on a luxury line if bathing suits "are not considered appropriate in any indoor venue?" :classic_huh:

Edited by Aquahound

6 minutes ago, clo said:

I don't think of that as a hallway or elevator or???

But my point is, they're using that as reasoning for the OP to not board wearing a swimsuit under their cover-up.  I'm wondering what's the difference between going from the gangway to the pool, or going from one's room to the pool?

6 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

But my point is, they're using that as reasoning for the OP to not board wearing a swimsuit under their cover-up.  I'm wondering what's the difference between going from the gangway to the pool, or going from one's room to the pool?

Good point.

10 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Pardon me while my slack-jaw'd mass market self thinks out loud.....but how does one get from their room to the pool on a luxury line if bathing suits "are not considered appropriate in any indoor venue?" :classic_huh:

With the curtain drawn it's no longer an indoor venue - it's your private abode. 😊

image.jpeg.d7ccc17289bc63119aa5f642a540bf33.jpeg

How do they know what you are wearing under your clothes???????

X-ray vision?

One of the early posts mentioned a sundress, not an obvious "cover up."

My SO wears a nice dress I picked up in Ho Chi Minh City.  She wears it with a swim suit underneath, and she wears it with underwear for none water activities.

Unless you are being a pervert with a mirror on your shoe, you have NO IDEA whether she is wearing a swim suit or not.

7 hours ago, SRF said:

Ho Chi Minh City.

OT but a funny coincidence.  In the last couple of days when someone was looking for restaurants I pointed out that absolutely NO ONE (well, maybe some government functionary!) calls it that.  It's SAIGON 🙂

1 hour ago, clo said:

OT but a funny coincidence.  In the last couple of days when someone was looking for restaurants I pointed out that absolutely NO ONE (well, maybe some government functionary!) calls it that.  It's SAIGON 🙂

Um, the correct, official name is Ho Chi Minh City, and has been since 1976. Saigon is still used by local Vietnamese, mostly because it's faster to say.

Sorry, OP for dragging this off topic

Edited by mom says

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

Um, the correct, official name is Ho Chi Minh City, and has been since 1976. Saigon is still used by local Vietnamese, mostly because it's faster to say.

Actually both names are correct.  But HCMC was done as a communist war victory.  We never heard any one call it that..

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/vietnam/articles/ho-chi-minh-city-vs-saigon-whats-in-a-name/

I think OT is more common here than I've ever seen anywhere.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

My son regularly travels to Vietnam for the Department of Commerce - the officials with which he meets tend to call it Saigon.

• Thanks 1