dollars or sterling

anacapri9

Hi

can anyone tell me l think that when you pay your account at the end of the cruise it is better to have it in dollars and let the bank convert rather than let princess covert to pounds just wanted to check as it has been a while since going on a cruise thanks

My last cruise with Princess was last August and as a UK cruiser we were not asked like they used to do whether we wanted our final account put on in $ and converted by our bank or let Princess convert it. It was automatically added to my credit card in $ do not know if this is now the norm.

1 minute ago, steelers36 said:

Yes... do not have Princess do a conversion to any currency.

That’s for sure.  I let Princess do it once for a relatively small account and was quite disappointed at the rate they chose ‘for my convenience’ (from USD to CAD)No big deal in absolute terms but never again.

Yes, I think the OP will get the drift on this question.  Me, I don’t know what possessed me to choose the Princess conversion option - brain fart, I guess - I’ve done plenty of international travel and have a pretty good idea on how to handle my currencies and credit cards in a way that best suits me.

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

My last cruise with Princess was last August and as a UK cruiser we were not asked like they used to do whether we wanted our final account put on in $ and converted by our bank or let Princess convert it. It was automatically added to my credit card in $ do not know if this is now the norm.

Hi

I have just completed our Guest Information on the Cruise Personalizer.

We are UK residents and will be sailing on Sapphire from Southampton on the 18th August 2019. 

The last part of the Shipboard Account section asks you your preferred currency when settling your account ie sterling or dollars.

It also states if you change your mind you can go to Passenger Services on board and alter it.

5 hours ago, wheezedr said:

This is true whenever using your CC outside of your own native country.  It is always better to let your bank do the conversion.  Vendors tend to give rates that benefit them! Not you.

The same holds true for the POS machines in Europe that ask if you want them to convert the sale to USD.  Don't do it.  You'll get a better rate through your own bank.