Bus from Boston Cruise Port to NY

Vict0riann

Our cruise next year was originally scheduled to dock in New York, but has been changed to Boston.  I've been thinking of suggesting  on my roll call that we charter a bus for those of us who want to go to New York, that will pick us up at the cruise port and perhaps make a few stops along the way to NY.  Any suggestions?

Edited by Vict0riann

It might be a tough sell when there are a ton of quick and relatively cheap ways to get between Boston and NYC. Amtrak runs a ton of trains a day including the high-ish speed Acela, there are innumerable bus companies that sell cheap tickets, and there are a ton of quick, cheap shuttle flights from Logan. 

I think it would be an exercise in herding cats trying to organize a bus unless you are already part of a large group. 

• Like 2

Boston is every bit as interesting, tourist wise, as NYC.

For those who want to do NYC, they should book return home flights from there rather than BOS.

Suggest you do not try a large group.  Let everyone do their own thing in NYC.

Take the train. 

"Herding cats"...so accurate...and funny!

13 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I will have to check and see what the train schedule looks like for Labor Day!  

Just book your Amtrak tickets as early as you can. The trains get packed on holiday weekends and the cheapest fares sell out quickly. Booking for early next September should open in early October.

Last time I checked, Amtrak's schedule isn't always convenient and seemed to be slower than taking a bus.  We always drive when visiting - just a little over 3 hours with a quick stop between NY & Boston, traffic permitting ... across CT toward the Mass Pike. 

Or, travel in a luxury limo bus - https://www.tripsavvy.com/boston-to-new-york-bus-lines-418908

Other bus options to suite all budgets - https://www.tripsavvy.com/boston-to-new-york-bus-lines-418908

47 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Last time I checked, Amtrak's schedule isn't always convenient and seemed to be slower than taking a bus. 

Amtrak has over 20 departures a day between Boston and NYC. The Acela takes about 3.5 hours and the Regionals a little over 4. Busses tend to take 4.5 to 5 hours (as scheduled). Busses also get stuck in traffic and trains don't. In perfect traffic conditions (which rarely exist on that route) its about a 4 hour drive from Manhattan to Boston. 

The trains also don't get mired in the weather that can also cancel shuttle flights out of Logan. 

I've done it every which way and the train is by far the most efficient and most comfortable. 

Edited by princeton123211

Non Acela trains can cost as little as $49 if booked in advance.

Buses range from $1 to about $40 for standard buses, and there are fancier buses for more.  All leave from South Station, which is about 1-2 miles from the cruise terminal

I’ve done all three.  Took Acela for the first time last Feb because the $49 fares were gone.  Paid $30-40 more to sit in a train car full of folks working on their laptops and talking on the phone.  Never had that happen on the non Acela train and I didn’t find the seats to be noticeably more comfortable.  If they still offer “quiet” cars, I would be looking for that.  Regular bus has to use local streets in Mnahattan, so you get a tour of Harlem to Port Authority.

2 minutes ago, 138east said:

Paid $30-40 more to sit in a train car full of folks working on their laptops and talking on the phone.  Never had that happen on the non Acela train and I didn’t find the seats to be noticeably more comfortable.

Its mainly business people on the Acela because it gives you more working time than taking a plane would (when you take into account that you cant really work on WiFi well going through security, takeoff, landing, etc). The seats are comparable to the regional (now that they have upgraded the regional trains-- wasn't always the case), but the windows on the Acela are much larger than the Regional for seeing the scenery go by. The Acela does have many more of the tables for 4 than the Regionals do-- they are only available on Regional trains in Business Class. 

Sit on the right headed north or the left headed south for the best coastal views north of New York.