Balcony Etiquette

That might be the case in the worst wine growing district in Australia, namely the Hunter region.

Let's see you come to Margaret River and say that at the counter at Leeuwin Estate winery.

Only $630 for the half dozen at the winery.

Remember to get your bargain if you buy six at $99 per bottle

LEEUWIN ESTATE Art Series Chardonnay, Margaret River 2016

Price per Bottle$105.00
$105.00 $/Bottle for 1
$99.00 $/Bottle for 6

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'd rather buy this from my favourite Australian wine region, the King Valley in Victoria.

20190812_182243.jpg

For that price it would have to be good.😊 I might be tempted to try it, but unfortunately I can no longer drink reds.😢 They give me asthma. It was a blow to give up my red wine, but I would rather have three glasses of white than just a few sips of red.

It is good but not your every day quaffing wine. 

Is it all reds that give you asthma? Different grapes have different characteristics so there is a possibility that you might be able to have some varieties. I can't drink Cabernet Sauvigon as it gives me bad headaches but can happily drink a lot of other red wines including that very lovely nebbiolo which we were lucky enough to try once.

And if you're prepared to commit to a few years of cellaring some of those wines under reasonable conditions they can turn out to be superb. Often good wines are drunk too early so they don't get the chance to turn into really good wines. Mind you, screw caps don't help the aging process but they do mean there is less chance of the wine spoiling through cork defects so I guess it's a trade off.

44 minutes ago, greykangaroo said:

I wonder how many Federal public servants sit at desks and use this medium to alleviate boredom?

A few and a few State Public Servants too, no doubt.  Practising their computer skills.🤣

Edited by NSWP

15 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

For that price it would have to be good.😊 I might be tempted to try it, but unfortunately I can no longer drink reds.😢 They give me asthma. It was a blow to give up my red wine, but I would rather have three glasses of white than just a few sips of red.

$140 a bottle? holy moly, I can buy 2 dozen bottles of good plonk from Dan Murphys for that.

18 hours ago, greykangaroo said:

That might be the case in the worst wine growing district in Australia, namely the Hunter region.

Let's see you come to Margaret River and say that at the counter at Leeuwin Estate winery.

Only $630 for the half dozen at the winery.

Remember to get your bargain if you buy six at $99 per bottle

LEEUWIN ESTATE Art Series Chardonnay, Margaret River 2016

Price per Bottle$105.00
$105.00 $/Bottle for 1
$99.00 $/Bottle for 6

I would tell such a winery, 'You are a rip off.'   Or perhaps put it more politely 'Your wines seem over priced, I can buy the same wine at Dan Murphys for 25% less.

Hunter Valley makes good wine, ever tried Tyrells Vat 47 Chardonnay? Lubbly Jubbly.

Edited by NSWP

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It is good but not your every day quaffing wine. 

Is it all reds that give you asthma? Different grapes have different characteristics so there is a possibility that you might be able to have some varieties. I can't drink Cabernet Sauvigon as it gives me bad headaches but can happily drink a lot of other red wines including that very lovely nebbiolo which we were lucky enough to try once.

You could be right. There could be some reds that would be OK. I have late-onset asthma and had to learn how to manage the condition. After having asthma at several family dinners (with probably different wine each time), one of my sons suggested it could be caused by the wine. I felt it was safer to switch to white. I really missed the red for a few years, but have got used to the white.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You could be right. There could be some reds that would be OK. I have late-onset asthma and had to learn how to manage the condition. After having asthma at several family dinners (with probably different wine each time), one of my sons suggested it could be caused by the wine. I felt it was safer to switch to white. I really missed the red for a few years, but have got used to the white.

Could be tannins or anti oxidants in the red wine.  Have you tried some thing lighter in the red, perhaps a pinot noir ?  Jacobs Creek does a drinkable Pinot Noir for around $8.

pinot.jpg

Edited by NSWP

53 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Could be tannins or anti oxidants in the red wine.  Have you tried some thing lighter in the red, perhaps a pinot noir ?  Jacobs Creek does a drinkable Pinot Noir for around $8.

pinot.jpg

52 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Could be worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was about to suggest exactly that as that is what I did after not drinking red wines for ten years. Pinot noir is a good starting point, or even a rose. Avoid the heavier bodied reds - unfortunately many Australian reds fall into this category, and be careful with blends. Try a pure sangiovese or a merlot. 

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

My comment about buying the $140 wine was tongue in cheek. I agree. I wouldn't pay that for a bottle.

I just looked up the price of Penfold's Grange 2015 at Dan Murphy's. $769 a bottle!!! 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

57 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You Sandgropers are sensitive people.😅

I wonder how we got like that. Paying all the bills for the Eastern states out of our GST share and being given just 30% of our receipts didn't help.

and

If you keep maneuvering me into posting, I am going to move from the 100 post club to the Federal public servant class.

I am proud of being in the 100 post club. It means that I have another life.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just looked up the price of Penfold's Grange 2015 at Dan Murphy's. $769 a bottle!!! 

I will buy a case on Sunday when I visit Dan Murphy @ Bega.😆    No Dan's here, but maybe next year it will arrive.

I often buy the members specials at Dan's.   The more you drink the more you save.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, greykangaroo said:

I wonder how we got like that. Paying all the bills for the Eastern states out of our GST share and being given just 30% of our receipts didn't help.

and

If you keep maneuvering me into posting, I am going to move from the 100 post club to the Federal public servant class.

I am proud of being in the 100 post club. It means that I have another life.

Can we assist you in joining the 10,000 club ?