Formal Dress on Majestic Princess

#1cruisecoach

Hi,

We are on the Majestic Princess Dec. 27, 2019.  Auckland to Sydney.    Has Princess relaxed on the dress code for Formal nights?  I can't seem to find a definite answer.  Basically want to know if my husband needs to take a sports coat or if a nice shirt, tie and slacks would be appropriate.   Thanks in advance !

4 minutes ago, #1cruisecoach said:

Hi,

We are on the Majestic Princess Dec. 27, 2019.  Auckland to Sydney.    Has Princess relaxed on the dress code for Formal nights?  I can't seem to find a definite answer.  Basically want to know if my husband needs to take a sports coat or if a nice shirt, tie and slacks would be appropriate.   Thanks in advance !

No the dress policy is the same throughout the fleet regardless of region. 

It has not changed. 

What you list would be fine. (Shirt and tie no jacket)

21 minutes ago, #1cruisecoach said:

Hi,

Straight from Princess website.  it really just depends once you get on board what one can actually do and can’t do.

.You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort.

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates.

We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men
Length of Cruise Number of Formal Evenings Number of Smart Casual Evenings
1-4 Days 0 1-4
5-6 Days 1 4-5
7-13 Days 2 5-11
14-20 Days 3 11-17
21-28 Days 4 17-24
29+ Days 5 minimum 24+
Edited by arizonaperson
Oops
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, #1cruisecoach said:

Hi,

Sorry duplicate 

Edited by arizonaperson
Duplicate

26 minutes ago, #1cruisecoach said:

Hi,

We were on the Majestic this past winter (Sydney round-trip to NZ).  What you have suggested is fine and appropriate.  I did not take a jacket at all this trip as we were away for nine weeks altogether and touring Australia and I was not interested in bringing more formal dress for two nights out of nine weeks (it was an 11-night cruise).  I wore long pants and a LS shirt.  A sports coat is also fine - with or without a tie.  Based on the DR we were in (mid-ship with early TD and late ATD), I would say most men had jackets or suits.  A sprinkling of tuxes.  I was in the minority sans jacket and tie, but it wasn't a problem at all.

On your trip, they will likely have a formal night NY Eve, itinerary permitting, so you might find more people dressing for the occasion.  Just a guess.

Edited by steelers36

Princess has a dress code that they simply do not enforce.  Most have learned that a pair of pants (eg dockers) and a long sleeved dress shirt will suffice as a minimum.  One will not be alone wearing the minimum.  For shoes, athletic shoes will suffice.  You may dress more formal as you desire adding a sport coat, tie, suiit or better.  

Of course there have been many threads on Cruise critic over and over about the dress code. I was Simply stating what Princess still has on their website whether it’s enforced or not doesn’t matter really. Because at some point on some ship they may start enforcing it -one never knows.Or maybe they’ll get rid of it altogether( most cruise lines have), but those that still choose to cruise Princess know this .....

At this point it’s still posted on the website and in the Patter what the dress code is.

I am sure you can get away with whatever you want on formal night as many have posted. I know when we first started cruising Princess my husband who owns a tux would bring it -he hates wearing a tux, but he brought it because he had it. Sometimes now he wears on formal night a sportcoat ,long sleeve shirt ,and docker type pants ,but no tie (  he mixes it up -sometimes no tie -sometimes a tie but always a sports jacket )and never been turned away in the D.R. He usually wears the same coat & the same pants for the first formal night as the second night and a different shirt. Honestly it really doesn’t take up that much room in the luggage but to each his own of course. 

I guess I always hate to steer people towards telling them -no they don’t have to wear a sports coat or a tie, etc. etc. because everybody’s experience on a Princess  ship might be different depending on who decides to enforce or not enforce the suggestions.

I love going to the dining room on a cruise and I dress up every night -totally different than what I do at home because I want to. But I really don’t care what other people wear to dinner honestly. 

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

I guess I always hate to steer people towards telling them -no they don’t have to wear a sports coat or a tie, etc. etc. because everybody’s experience on a Princess  ship might be different depending on who decides to enforce or not enforce the suggestions.

Also from the Princess web site;

"On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away 
breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt 
for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop. 
In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes 
(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring 
an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.
"

As you can read for yourself a jacket is not a requirement on any of their ships. 

I was on the Majestic cruise to NZ last November. Dress was pretty relaxed, women in black slacks, skirts and nice tops. No evening dresses.I don't recall many tuxedos, mainly jackets or nice shirts and ties.

Mostly Australians on board and we tend to be pretty casual. Needless to say but we are doing the same cruise this November and the other half is taking his tux , the few times he actually enjoys dressing up. Must miss wearing his RAAF mess kit😄

On 8/6/2019 at 11:20 AM, sdonlon13 said:

We are going on Majestic in November for our honeymoon, so I was wondering if ladies still wore long dresses on formal nights. I have a few that I'd love to have an excuse to wear again 🙂

Yes, go ahead and wear your long dresses. I tend to dress formally for formal night (shock horror 😲) and never feel out of place. Some women will be in ball gowns, others will be in black pants, it is quite a varied range.  

On 8/6/2019 at 9:25 AM, #1cruisecoach said:

Hi,

Generally I would say that Australians and New Zealanders dress less formally when cruising in our home waters. Not everyone, but a general statement across the board. I like to dress formally because I don't do it much at home, but your husband certainly won't feel out of place in the outfit described.

5 hours ago, mum and son said:

Yes, go ahead and wear your long dresses. I tend to dress formally for formal night (shock horror 😲) and never feel out of place. Some women will be in ball gowns, others will be in black pants, it is quite a varied range.  

Thanks so much! I'm with you any excuse to get dressed up.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
Posted (edited)

good morning crusin new friends ... any dressups on Princess magistic ..

Happy st patricks day on sunday

Set sail today for Tasmania 14/3/2024

Edited by Bronii

We're not the dressy kind of people and really enjoy that Princess no longer requires people to dress up any more. 

Maybe on the new Sun Princess, that will all change?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bronii said:

good morning crusin new friends ... any dressups on Princess magistic ..

Happy st patricks day on sunday

Set sail today for Tasmania 14/3/2024

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  Majestic Princess is a lovely ship and I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time.

You may dress either formally or casually, it’s your choice because the dress codes really no longer exist.  I would suggest that gentlemen wear long pants and not shorts.  You will hear from others who feel shorts are appropriate, so you decide how comfortable you feel.  There is a risk of being denied entry into the MDR.  Ladies don’t usually have a problem deciding what to wear.

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  Majestic Princess is a lovely ship and I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time.

You may dress either formally or casually, it’s your choice because the dress codes really no longer exist.  I would suggest that gentlemen wear long pants and not shorts.  You will hear from others who feel shorts are appropriate, so you decide how comfortable you feel.  There is a risk of being denied entry into the MDR.  Ladies don’t usually have a problem deciding what to wear.

Formal nights for me just mean changing out jeans for slacks and short sleeve shirts for long sleeve. Post retirement all my ties have been retired also

• Like 2
  • Haha 2