Seaview quick review

petuniaflower

We did the Seaview end of July, out of Barcelona, stopped in Genoa, Civi, La Spezia, Corsica, Mallorca and Cannes.  We have cruised Carnival, NCL, Disney and MSC before.  We were a family of 6, in 2 connecting Fantastica balcony cabins, also known as super family cabin and had the easy drink package.  We found the cabins to be fine, similar to other lines.  One thing about one of the cabins for 4, it would have been much more spacious if the second bed was a bunk couch as I have seen pics of, ours was a pull out couch and they had to turn the couch facing the door (if that makes sense) to make it fit.  Leaving very minimal room for walking around when it was open.  The ship is beautiful and we found most people to be friendly and helpful.  The kids enjoyed the waterslides, but note that even adults need "bracelets" to go on them, you just sign a waiver and get the bracelet for the week.  We always found loungers, even if it was a few for the 6 of us, as it wasnt often all of us werent going to the pool etc.  Our son enjoyed the sports area and played soccer a few nights with boys hanging around wanting to play.  We purchased the "fun pass".  I believe we paid $100 for $180 worth of "fun".  We used it for a few rounds of bowling, the 4d theatre, race car and some arcade games, we found it a good use!  We watched 5 of the shows, 3 really good, 2 not so good, in our opinion.  The 3 that were good had a great variety of entertainment including acro/magic/dancing, where it could entertain all of our age groups.  We usually booked our shows the day before for 1 or 2 days in advance.  We only ate dinner in the MDR, no specialty dining.  We all found food we enjoyed, though we are not picky eaters.  I think this was the first ship we had been on with no free/unlimited ice cream, no big deal, but the kids noticed.  We had "2nd dinner" a few nights, where we enjoyed the pizza from the buffet which was delicious!  The easy drink package was sufficient for us as we are not big drinkers, but do enjoy the odd drink.  I was able to have a sweet sparkling at  dinner, the kids enjoyed their non alcoholic menu.  We did not get off in Genoa.  In Civi we took the train ourselves and explored, thanks to many tips from these boards!  In La Spezia we also explored on our own..small tip, I believe its possible to pre purchase your cinque terre card if thats your plan for the day..if so, buy it!  We waited a good 45 minutes for the passes, only 2 girls working the counter and a ton of people buying.  In Corsica we explored and enjoyed the beach, same as in Cannes, all within walking distance.  In Mallorca we took bus #3 to Illetas beach.  It was beautiful and HOT, however the kids were squeamish after seeing a few jelly fish;)  We had a great time and would continue to cruise with MSC after doing 2 with them.  Feel free to ask any questions I may be able to help with!

• Like 3

On 8/8/2019 at 6:34 AM, petuniaflower said:

We did the Seaview end of July, out of Barcelona, stopped in Genoa, Civi, La Spezia, Corsica, Mallorca and Cannes.  We have cruised Carnival, NCL, Disney and MSC before.  We were a family of 6, in 2 connecting Fantastica balcony cabins, also known as super family cabin and had the easy drink package.  We found the cabins to be fine, similar to other lines.  One thing about one of the cabins for 4, it would have been much more spacious if the second bed was a bunk couch as I have seen pics of, ours was a pull out couch and they had to turn the couch facing the door (if that makes sense) to make it fit.  Leaving very minimal room for walking around when it was open.  The ship is beautiful and we found most people to be friendly and helpful.  The kids enjoyed the waterslides, but note that even adults need "bracelets" to go on them, you just sign a waiver and get the bracelet for the week.  We always found loungers, even if it was a few for the 6 of us, as it wasnt often all of us werent going to the pool etc.  Our son enjoyed the sports area and played soccer a few nights with boys hanging around wanting to play.  We purchased the "fun pass".  I believe we paid $100 for $180 worth of "fun".  We used it for a few rounds of bowling, the 4d theatre, race car and some arcade games, we found it a good use!  We watched 5 of the shows, 3 really good, 2 not so good, in our opinion.  The 3 that were good had a great variety of entertainment including acro/magic/dancing, where it could entertain all of our age groups.  We usually booked our shows the day before for 1 or 2 days in advance.  We only ate dinner in the MDR, no specialty dining.  We all found food we enjoyed, though we are not picky eaters.  I think this was the first ship we had been on with no free/unlimited ice cream, no big deal, but the kids noticed.  We had "2nd dinner" a few nights, where we enjoyed the pizza from the buffet which was delicious!  The easy drink package was sufficient for us as we are not big drinkers, but do enjoy the odd drink.  I was able to have a sweet sparkling at  dinner, the kids enjoyed their non alcoholic menu.  We did not get off in Genoa.  In Civi we took the train ourselves and explored, thanks to many tips from these boards!  In La Spezia we also explored on our own..small tip, I believe its possible to pre purchase your cinque terre card if thats your plan for the day..if so, buy it!  We waited a good 45 minutes for the passes, only 2 girls working the counter and a ton of people buying.  In Corsica we explored and enjoyed the beach, same as in Cannes, all within walking distance.  In Mallorca we took bus #3 to Illetas beach.  It was beautiful and HOT, however the kids were squeamish after seeing a few jelly fish;)  We had a great time and would continue to cruise with MSC after doing 2 with them.  Feel free to ask any questions I may be able to help with!

Thanks from me also. We are on board in November 2020,  Barcelona to Dubai.

Thanks for the review. I have an MDR water question - we are fantastica (Bellissima next month but likely the same system) - I read a couple of threads up on the MSC board that iced tap water is given in a 'pitcher' at dinner - is this the case? Also thinking about a drinks package and maybe even now dropping down to the Easy package - was the 'sweet sparkling' OK? was there just the one choice of sparkling? any choice on red/white/rose wines?

thanks!

2 hours ago, claiream3 said:

Thanks for the review. I have an MDR water question - we are fantastica (Bellissima next month but likely the same system) - I read a couple of threads up on the MSC board that iced tap water is given in a 'pitcher' at dinner - is this the case? Also thinking about a drinks package and maybe even now dropping down to the Easy package - was the 'sweet sparkling' OK? was there just the one choice of sparkling? any choice on red/white/rose wines?

thanks!

There is a choice of 2 sparkling wines, dolce being the sweet one.  Here is the list of included wines (the first 2 being the sparkling ones.  I've addressed your question re water on the other thread where you posed it).  The only one I found to be unpalatable was the Saint Louis cabernet sauvignon:

1343692026_EasyPackageDrinks.png.510d43f51ee21752ef6705b971b45e28.png

• Like 2

Great review. We're sailing on the Seaview next week.

I'm thinking of getting the Digital photo package which is £80.

Are there photographers scattered around the ship all day? I'm trying to work out roughly how many good photos we would get.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/8/2019 at 12:34 AM, petuniaflower said:

What was the earliest time you could walk off the ship with your luggage?  How long Did it take you to go through customs/immigration? And how long did it take from the port to the airport?

ty

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 3:32 PM, MANDMTRAVEL said:

Thanks for the review. We are booked for June. Traveling with the whole family and trying to research on the ports. However, I have not find much information online, MSC excursions are a liitle out of our budget. Any recommendations?

You are welcome to follow along here or give suggestions to my plans.  I am not planning on doing any MSC excursions ATM.  Here is the thread, I will continue to update in case it is helpful to others even if I continue to get crickets as response:

On 2/7/2020 at 3:32 PM, MANDMTRAVEL said:

Thanks for the review. We are booked for June. Traveling with the whole family and trying to research on the ports. However, I have not find much information online, MSC excursions are a liitle out of our budget. Any recommendations?

We tend to either explore on our own or maybe take an excursion from a third party, but find the ones offered by the cruise lines such a rip off.  In Civi we easily took the train to Rome, tickets were inexpensive and we explored on our own.  I had pre purchased tix to the Colosseum but that was about all we planned (I figured "when in Rome").  The rest of the day we walked to Trevi fountain, Pantheon, got gelato etc (had googled mapped a plan for the day).  It was a very enjoyable and cool experience as a family, and cheap considering it was Rome.  I loved our day in La Spezia, we explored Cinque Terre on our own, all we did was buy the passes and then explored the towns/ate/went in the water as we wished.  Again, it was one of my favourite days and pretty cheap..beautiful seaside views and old town charm!  As I mentioned, if you can, pre purchase the Cinque Terre passes, as the line was crazy long!  In both Corsica and Cannes we stayed within walking distance to the port, brought our beach stuff and went in the water/got crepes/explored the little towns..all very inexpensive.  In Mallorca we took bus #3 to Illetas beach..we did get a bit lost but once on the bus it was easy!  It was beautiful and HOT, again a very inexpensive day but memorable, especially taking the local bus..but budget for a lot of water/gelato/umbrella if its like it was in July it was extremely hot, and we like nice hot weather, but we could barely stay out of the water for more than 10 minutes and needed to cool off:)

@petuniaflower you show how great a DIY day can be, when everything works.  And Cinque Terre and Mallorca were probably not very risky.  But: if your return train from Rome had been delayed/cancelled [these aren't Swiss trains, after all], what then?  Rome and Florence are the two places in the Med that are so far from the port that we would pay for a ship's 'on your own' shuttle service.

BTW, like you we generally avoid taking ship's tours, but the tours we took with MSC were well above average for ship's tours.  On this itinerary we did their 'Tuscania and Tarquinia' tour from Civi and their 'Palazzo del Principe' tour in Genoa.  We were going to take their 'Calanques' tour in Corsica, but for some unexplained reason they dropped that port from our sailing and substituted Toulon at the last minute.

More details in my blog: jazzbeauxmediterraneancruise2019.wordpress.com

42 minutes ago, blordos said:

Did you go to the smaller buffet restaurant on deck 16 ? On the seaside there is an icecream machine with free icecream.

I don't know if the Seaview has the same. Everyday we went there to get our icecreams.

We went once or twice, did prefer the bigger one though..but no, did not notice an ice cream machine however there may have been one. 

Good to know though, we are doing the Seaside, so now I know where to find it:)