Cruise ships finally banned from Venice

Clodia

3 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Just like Southampton is called “London”

Malaga is called “Granada”

Cadiz is called “Seville” 

Livorno is called “Florence”

Civitavecchia is called “Rome” on numerous cruise itineries.  

A bus journey is easy to arrange.  Cruisers will probably look to other towns around.  I for one would be interested in Padua.   

I am pleased about the changes for the sake of Venice.  I hope that they come soon.  

And Port Canaveral is called Orlando, which has people thinking Orlando has a beach. 

One  gentleman said Florida is a very thin state. 

Orlando has the Gulf of Mexico on one side and the Atlantic Ocean in the other. 

Cruise lines are rewriting geography!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Just like Southampton is called “London”

Malaga is called “Granada”

Cadiz is called “Seville” 

Livorno is called “Florence”

Civitavecchia is called “Rome” on numerous cruise itineries.  

A bus journey is easy to arrange.  Cruisers will probably look to other towns around.  I for one would be interested in Padua.   

I am pleased about the changes for the sake of Venice.  I hope that they come soon.  

I agree that some of the geography is out a lot, like in the examples you have given. 

The difference is at present when an itinerary says Venice it means right in the middle of Venice. If that changes then that’s fine as long as it is made clear at the booking stage and not just changed at a latter date.

I agree that the change would be good for Venice and personally I would also enjoy visiting some of the smaller Italian towns which may appreciate the tourist money (and not charge as much as Venice does). 

• Like 2

If cruise ships dock across the lagoon coaches are the way to get the passengers into Venice. Using ships tenders takes too much time. I visited Kirkwall in the Orkneys recently and the 4 ships tenders took almost 4 hours to move less than 2000 passengers to the town which was over a mile away. Large locally provided tenders might work?

• Like 1

Banning the large Cruise Ships into Venice is too late for my Wife. We were on the Uniworld River Countess on June 2nd when MSC Opera crashed into us. Even though reports stated minor or no serious injuries my Wife ended up with 6 broken ribs, hematoma to ankle, hip, back of head, lung and partly collapsed lung. 3 blood transfusions, 13 nights in a Venice Hospital, flight to Australia with an accompanying Doctor and then 19 nights in an Australian Hospital. 10 weeks after the accident she is still on strong pain killers twice daily and is unable to walk more than 5 minutes even with assistance. Beautiful view of Venice from the top deck of River Countess until we realized in horror MSC Opera was headed straight for us and wouldn't be able to stop. It's a great pity but also safer for residents and tourists to ban the large cruise sailing through the centre of Venice.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 8:36 AM, Clodia said:

I see in today's news that this has finally happened and that ships will dock further away, though no definite decision as to where.

Fake news.

They haven't done anything of the sort, just made a few statements about it being a good idea (although it solves nothing) - https://www.thelocal.it/20190810/no-venice-isnt-about-to-ban-cruise-ships-from-its-lagoon

6 hours ago, Jamesh1910 said:

Banning the large Cruise Ships into Venice is too late for my Wife. We were on the Uniworld River Countess on June 2nd when MSC Opera crashed into us. Even though reports stated minor or no serious injuries my Wife ended up with 6 broken ribs, hematoma to ankle, hip, back of head, lung and partly collapsed lung. 3 blood transfusions, 13 nights in a Venice Hospital, flight to Australia with an accompanying Doctor and then 19 nights in an Australian Hospital. 10 weeks after the accident she is still on strong pain killers twice daily and is unable to walk more than 5 minutes even with assistance. Beautiful view of Venice from the top deck of River Countess until we realized in horror MSC Opera was headed straight for us and wouldn't be able to stop. It's a great pity but also safer for residents and tourists to ban the large cruise sailing through the centre of Venice.

How awful for you and your wife. I hope she makes a full recovery soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I don’t think the ordinary people of Venice, the teachers, the nurses, the therapists, the hairdressers are actually minted as you say.  I think young people are confronted with an inability to find a home, and having to move away or commute long distances to find employment.  When they do try to move around their city they are confronted with hoarders of tourists.  All you want to do is buy a dozen eggs and it takes forever to get around people.  It does grind you down after a while.  

I think you will find most of these people live on the mainland.As a London plumber I know there are a few council flats in Mayfair,but most residents as in Venice are minted.

8 hours ago, Jamesh1910 said:

How awful for you both.  Just watching the video footage was scary enough. I hope you have started legal proceedings against MSC!  Here's hoping that your wife will be back to 100% soon.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 7:13 PM, terrierjohn said:

I have had this reason given on another forum, but am still sceptical, if it were true every single port in the world would be similarly effected but to a massively greater degree.

Imagine  a lovely stone bridge in a typical cotswold village. A 25 ton lorry going over it will cause more damage than 25 one ton cars. 

What are you sceptical about? 

Most port approaches are dredged to ease the approach and the ports are made of steel and concrete. In Venice the scenic approach is through a centuries old canal that was never intended for these huge commercial vessels that resemble floating apartment blocks. The foundations of the city are thousands of wooden piles driven into the lagoon rather than modern materials.

The cruise terminal is purpose built and they may decide that it can accommodate ships up to a certain size but the approach will need to avoid the city.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 2:09 AM, Jamesh1910 said:

Goodness, Jamesh, that must have been awful. I do hope your wife sees some improvement soon and you can begin to get over your ordeal and injury. Whilst once sitting by the canal, we witnessed a huge MSC ship sailing by. It was horrendous - it totally dwarfed the scene and was was surreal. As much as I have loved the experience of sailing into Venice, I do feel this is the right decision by Venice .