Any frequent Maasdam cruisers out there?

darstamp

Our group is looking at a Maasdam cruise fall of 2020.  I've read that the ship is in disrepair.  Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know when the next update is due?  Thanks.

• Like 1

The Maasdam is in pretty good shape for an older ship.  We were on her in June for three weeks in Alaska.  No issues, clean and easy to get around since it is a smaller ship.  The tenders are old so tendering is worse than on most newer ships.

Edited by oaktreerb

We were in a veranda B181 and did a cabin crawl which covered all categories from inside to Neptune Suite, including a handicap room.  Everyone seemed happy with their stateroom.  Beds were very good.  Balcony furniture was great.  Bathrooms were updated and new sinks were still being installed in some staterooms.  Tubs have the high sides of the older ships but have great showers with hand held wands. TV’s are outdated and don’t have newer features of navigator system that more current ships have.  DVD’s may be available at the front desk.  Look on halfacts website for B181.  Other photos may be outdated.

Maasdam has been marketed as an EXC in-depth ship with special programs and features that newer and larger ships can’t offer.  It is a ship and not a sailing extravaganza like some big ships out there.  It is also not a luxury cruise ship like some of smaller ships.

The staterooms will not be updated before 2020....they were just updated.

Thanks.  Don't care about TV - never turn it on. Sounds like my kind of ship.  I liked the special programs we had on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska and I'm not interested in the huge ships they are building now.  

We were on her for 45 days from Singapore to Auckland at the beginning of 2019. We love the Massy. It’s a no frills destination ship. We did not notice any areas in disrepair. We were in a Vista suite for 10 days then a Neptune the last 35 days. Both staterooms were clean with updated furniture and soft goods.  The TV systems were not upgraded and won’t be due to cost of running new cables etc. You can check out dvds if you wish to watch movies, etc. 

We enjoyed the enhanced lectures that were offered daily due to this being an EXC voyage. We also loved the zodiacs tours. 

Edited by freestyling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, darstamp said:

Our group is looking at a Maasdam cruise fall of 2020.  I've read that the ship is in disrepair.  Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know when the next update is due?  Thanks.

We were on her in May/Jun Auckland to New Zealand & refer board her in Yokohama on the S.Pacific WW2 cruise in 3 weeks.

This video may show you her condition.

https://youtu.be/JoYjo_u6mM8

We were on the Maasdam for three weeks last month. In our opinion, the ship, including our stateroom, was in good shape.

Only thing not working for us was the electric outlet for a razor in the bathroom. I could not get a plug to go into it.

However, a few cabins down from us must have had some sort of problem. One day I hear the occupant ask the cabin steward to speak with a supervisor about what was wrong. A few days later I heard her say that the alternative cabin she was offered was not acceptable. I have no idea what the problem was with either of those cabins.

There is an excellent walking tour video of the Maasdam on YouTube....Google ‘Port Monkeys  Maasdam complete walking tour’ ( cannot post the link for some reason) 

Almost an hour long complete tour of every deck .

On 8/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, Bellair said:

We were on her in May/Jun Auckland to New Zealand & refer board her in Yokohama on the S.Pacific WW2 cruise in 3 weeks.

This video may show you her condition.

https://youtu.be/JoYjo_u6mM8

What a great video!!  We're even more pumped now to go on our upcoming 40 day Maasdam cruise in October than we were before it. Thanks you for sharing!

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What a great video!!  We're even more pumped now to go on our upcoming 40 day Maasdam cruise in October than we were before it. Thanks you for sharing!

You are most welcome.

this is the Noordam in Jan this year visiting some of the islands you will probably visit on the Maasdam so you might get some idea of what to see.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did 21 days on the Maasdam late May and she is in pretty good shape. Our ocean view room was in good condition with good air conditioning - nothing to complain about whatsoever. I am not one who wears rose coloured glasses, if it was not good I would say so. Only thing I noticed was some peeling paint and corrosion on some window "sills" and the infrastructure of the opening roof of the mid ship pool. Some people would aghast at such a thing but it was inconsequential for me.

I love the Maasdam! She is my favorite ship! I love that class, and am so glad they kept her. I think I've sailed 4 times, but it might only be three. I did a 22 day South Pacific cruise 1 1/2 years ago, and she was in great shape then. I'm booked on an April 2021 14 night Mexican Rivera cruise on her.