Tenerife

beachmad123

I would like to go to Puerto del la Cruz, if I understand correctly it's a2.5km walk to the bus terminal.

Ian thinking of booking a shore excursion with po it says it's 4.1/2 hours is this from the time we arrive at port

Or when we arrive at Puerto de la Cruz?

Thanks

The time P&O quote for their excursions is usually the total time from leaving the quayside until getting back to the ship's side.  So in this instance, you wouldn't be spending 4.5 hours in Puerto de la Cruz - you would need to take off the travel time to & from.

5 minutes ago, beachmad123 said:

I would like to go to Puerto del la Cruz, if I understand correctly it's a2.5km walk to the bus terminal.

Ian thinking of booking a shore excursion with po it says it's 4.1/2 hours is this from the time we arrive at port

Thanks

Tenerife's cruise terminal is in Santa Cruz which is 37 kms away from Puerta de la Cruz.

2 hours ago, beachmad123 said:

Thanks

We have sailed into Santa Cruz several times.

There are taxi's where you get off the ship.

We have got a taxi several times to Puerto de la Cruz which takes around 20-25 minutes.

We negotiate a price with the driver for a round trip.

You can expect to pay €120-150 per taxi.

The driver drops you in the centre of Puerto de la Cruz and we find McDonald's is the best spot and you arrange a time for them to take you back to the ship.

We usually stay around 4 hours and pay the taxi driver when they drop you back at the ship.

• Like 1

I have been to Puerto de la Cruz on the local bus from Santa Cruz.

It was many years ago so I don't remember the details, but we managed to visit the Botanic gardens and Loro (I'm not sure if this is correct name) Park.

I do find the P&O times for half day tours rather short. We visited Rouen from Le Harve and thought we’d be able to have lunch there .

Unfortunately we had to leave at 1pm which was such a shame. We easily could have spent another hour of two there. Even more annoying we were in port until about 8pm!

Basically I’m saying the taxi option sounds good to me!

I did the P and O tour last April and found the time there to be short; we got just under 3 hours which didn't leave time to do much other than a quick walk and swim, and something to eat at one of the many cafes.

14 hours ago, Clodia said:

I did the P and O tour last April and found the time there to be short; we got just under 3 hours which didn't leave time to do much other than a quick walk and swim, and something to eat at one of the many cafes.

We have stayed 3 times in Puerto de la Cruz and unless you know the area you could easily miss the old town square.

4-5 hours is a reasonable time to see the town.

The Cafe De Paris was a favourite of ours for a coffee and cake.

The ships tours to the Banana plantation,Loro park etc leave very little shopping time in Puerto de la Cruz as we found on our first ships visit.

Edited by grapau27

• 2 weeks later...

Hols4

We used the modern tram to get to the old town La Laguna, you can walk to the nearest tram stop at Fundacion a 10 minute walk from the cruise terminal and catch Line1 tram to the terminus at La Trinidad and the old town is right behind it. It is an interesting ride and takes about 30 minutes you can get tickets from any tram stop before boarding and is less than 3 Euros each way.

20 hours ago, ann141 said:

Is it possible to visit Tenerifes south coast resorts using local transport?

It is but expect around 1.5 hours on the bus and the bus station in Playa De Las America's is a long walk from the beach.

You can do 3 nights or more hotel holidays to the south if you want to see the south resorts.

Taxis are very expensive around €250-€300 round trip.

We did a ship tour many years ago to Las America's but haven't seen them advertised since.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

It is but expect around 1.5 hours on the bus and the bus station in Playa De Las America's is a long walk from the beach.

You can do 3 nights or more hotel holidays to the south if you want to see the south resorts.

Taxis are very expensive around €250-€300 round trip.

We did a ship tour many years ago to Las America's but haven't seen them advertised since.

Thank you.We have visited most northern parts of the island so were hoping to see the south.We will have to hope for a tour or as you suggest a longer holiday just to the south coast resorts.

• Thanks 1