Now Horizon Skyride Closed

sunonfire

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Far from it, if there was news on that front, official or otherwise, I would love to read about it.  Is that OK?

Dream used to have a laser show at night and after problem after problem they could not fix it went away.

Lets see what happens with this.

25 minutes ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Dream used to have a laser show at night and after problem after problem they could not fix it went away.

Lets see what happens with this.

Agree, we have to wait and see.  They are adding Bolt, if it is the same issue I doubt it will go away (the ride).  But I have heard nothing....

Edited by jimbo5544

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Agree, we have to wait and see.  They are adding Bolt, if it is the same issue I doubt it will go away (the ride).  But I have heard nothing....

I suspect that over time the private islands will be offering more of this type of activity in attempt to make the islands mini Disney World profit centers, keeping the entire cruise experience (and revenue stream) within the corporation. Would also allow them to avoid the political unrest situations, as most recently seen in Puerto Rico.

19 minutes ago, FiredogCruiser said:

I suspect that over time the private islands will be offering more of this type of activity in attempt to make the islands mini Disney World profit centers, keeping the entire cruise experience (and revenue stream) within the corporation. Would also allow them to avoid the political unrest situations, as most recently seen in Puerto Rico.

Royal has already done this with cococay.......  I would HATE that for HMC or even Grand Turk.  IMHO amusement parks tied to a cruise line are about the worst idea....but that is just me.  You may be right tho.....

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Royal has already done this with cococay.......  I would HATE that for HMC or even Grand Turk.  IMHO amusement parks tied to a cruise line are about the worst idea....but that is just me.  You may be right tho.....

My wife is not a great fan of amusement parks either. But neither are we ones to sit on a beach all day. I suspect the market for the amusements is there or the companies wouldn't be so willing to attempt to install them on ships. I think that eventually the ships and private islands will become the draw for general mass market cruises, and travel and or cultural experiences will become the domain of specialty lines. I foresee the islands offering more, including resident staffing, live entertainment, and other activities to justify limiting the adventure. A Bermuda multi-day experience at a corporate owned destination with a captive revenue stream, with each diversion offered its own profit center.

40 minutes ago, FiredogCruiser said:

But neither are we ones to sit on a beach all day.

Neither am I, so HMC isn't an attractive port to me. Their proposed expansion is supposed to include some land-based additions along with the new pier. If it included a little more for people who don't like to hang out on a beach all day, it would become a more attractive port of call to more people. I think that's a good thing. I don't think they'll turn it into a big amusement park anytime soon and I don't think they'll ruin the beach day that several people are so worried about. Castaway Cay is so successful, Disney's going to be developing a second one. Then there's Coco Cay. So it does look like private island development is going to be a part of the future of cruising. I don't need a lot of amusement park type stuff to be entertained, but if Carnival added a little bit to HMC to make it more than just a beach day, I won't complain.

Has anyone actually come out and said specifically what the problem is?  I keep reading that it is down for "maintenance".  That could mean anything but I'm going to assume they are avoiding saying what the actual problem is.

3 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

We are sorry for the inconvenience and there will $25 OBC p.p. On your account so you can drown your sorrows.🤪🚢😜

A fellow Ft Meyers person!!

Edited by jimbo5544

On 8/11/2019 at 3:57 PM, cruisequeen4ever said:

The Skyride is a huge draw to me; I can imagine quite a few will be disappointed as they may have chosen that ship for the Skyride. I hope they get it fixed quickly!

We are booked on the 18th.  Carnival just emailed me at 9pm tonight... 4 days before the cruise to notify us that the ride will be down for PLANNED maintenance.   This was the entire reason I booked this ship.  We were also looking at the Allure and the attractions there.  Opted to go Carnival, and regretting it.   I called Carnival looking for some kind of compensation or upgrade or something to show good will.  The supervisor would not even take the call.   The original lady told me that supervisor states there is nothing she can do.   I said nothing no extra excursion room upgrade nothing... NOPE.  I am a gold member and usually do 50-50 between Carnival and Royal Caribbean.    This is the final straw for me.   I understand things happen but this is so unacceptable to find out they knew about this weeks ago and now only notify me 4 days out.   We are leaving tomorrow from Canada for this trip.   I will do the trip and make due, because I have no recourse and can't change anything.   This is the last booking that Carnival will get from me.   Then again, after the phone call I just had... I know they don't even care. 

We're on the Vista this Saturday.  They're now calling it "extended maintenance" and "an enhancement plan for the ride."  We were looking forward to trying it, but won't exactly ruin our cruise without it.  The official email said this:

Dear Carnival Vista Guest,

Due to extended maintenance, SkyRide will be closed for the duration of your cruise, while our team completes an enhancement plan for the ride.  We apologize for any disappointment this may cause and know you'll enjoy the many other fun features on board.  We thank you for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you on board for a fun and memorable cruise.

Edited by sarmat1

6 hours ago, trvlwithkids said:

We are booked on the 18th.  Carnival just emailed me at 9pm tonight... 4 days before the cruise to notify us that the ride will be down for PLANNED maintenance.   This was the entire reason I booked this ship.  We were also looking at the Allure and the attractions there.  Opted to go Carnival, and regretting it.   I called Carnival looking for some kind of compensation or upgrade or something to show good will.  The supervisor would not even take the call.   The original lady told me that supervisor states there is nothing she can do.   I said nothing no extra excursion room upgrade nothing... NOPE.  I am a gold member and usually do 50-50 between Carnival and Royal Caribbean.    This is the final straw for me.   I understand things happen but this is so unacceptable to find out they knew about this weeks ago and now only notify me 4 days out.   We are leaving tomorrow from Canada for this trip.   I will do the trip and make due, because I have no recourse and can't change anything.   This is the last booking that Carnival will get from me.   Then again, after the phone call I just had... I know they don't even care. 

We‘re on the same cruise, second time on the Horizon and travelled the long way from Europe. I also got this mail. We‘ll contact our lawyer to get a refund after the cruise.

41 minutes ago, Erna87 said:

We‘re on the same cruise, second time on the Horizon and travelled the long way from Europe. I also got this mail. We‘ll contact our lawyer to get a refund after the cruise.

You are contacting your lawyer because a 4 minute ride is broken?  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Erna87 said:

i would love to contact my lawyer and sue mother nature for all the times the open deck was closed due to high winds and rain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erna87 said:

Seriously? Are you "entitled" to a refund?  Just because you traveled from afar, doesnt mean CCL owes you anything because of the skyride being down. Geeezzzz

8 hours ago, trvlwithkids said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that’s crazy in my book to book an entire cruise for a ride that lasts less than 5 minutes. Additionally, both Vista and Horizon have been having issues with the SkyRide for a long time now, so this shouldn’t be a surprise to you. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Erna87 said:

It‘s the main attraction on the ship. It doesn’t matter to you when it‘s broken!?

I have sailed the Horizon, everybody has a different view but I NEVER call it the main attraction, not even the top ten (your opinion may vary).  The point of my post was contacting a lawyer seems..... well.....off the chart as far as extreme.  That said, anyone considering doing so, should read the cruise contract before wasting your time doing so.  

I understand disappointment regarding a cruise and when things break, but stuff happens.  

• Like 1