Double then solo cruiser

azbaby8062

Okay, I am asking for my brother. He normally sails in as a solo. However, he is also realizing that it seems to limit the amount of cruises to choose from. My sister is trying to convince him to share a room with her son (21) He is considering doing this. Unfortunately, my nephew has been known to change his mind and decide not to cruise. My son benefited from his last cancellation by being able to go in his place. However, the question my brother has is: "If for some reason my nephew cancels prior to  cancellation penalty phase, does the rate now change to a single supplement?"

My travelling companion broke her ankle just a couple weeks before a bus tour to Croatia, not a cruise, and she had to cancel.  My fare immediately turned into an obligatory single supplement.  I had 24 hours to cancel or pay up.  I paid the extra and went alone.  If you have good insurance, they may pay the single supplement with a ton of documentation from the companion, if their reason for cancelling was covered by their own insurance.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:47 PM, azbaby8062 said:

Okay, I am asking for my brother. He normally sails in as a solo. However, he is also realizing that it seems to limit the amount of cruises to choose from. My sister is trying to convince him to share a room with her son (21) He is considering doing this. Unfortunately, my nephew has been known to change his mind and decide not to cruise. My son benefited from his last cancellation by being able to go in his place. However, the question my brother has is: "If for some reason my nephew cancels prior to  cancellation penalty phase, does the rate now change to a single supplement?"

Yes, it will. So Brother has to decide whether to cancel as well  or find out the single traveler price. Not all cruiselines charge double and je could look st cheaper csbin levels or a 'guarantee' rather than assigned room with loads of perks. Prices with perks are rarely the lowest possible price.

He normally sails in as a solo. However, he is also realizing that it seems to limit the amount of cruises to choose from.

I'm not sure I understand this........he should still have unlimited choices.  I've never heard of a cruise line that doesn't accept solo passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, calliopecruiser said:

I'm not sure I understand this........he should still have unlimited choices.  I've never heard of a cruise line that doesn't accept solo passengers.

Solo occupancy cabins are capacity controlled.  The cruise line may limit the number of solos they'll accept.

Roz

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

Solo occupancy cabins are capacity controlled.  The cruise line may limit the number of solos they'll accept.

I find it hard to believe they wouldn't accept a solo booking (though I do believe that the solo supplement would fluctuate).   Still, it's not at all what I was commenting on, which was a mythical cruise landscape where few options for solo travel are available. 

Hi, I was thinking the same thing...…actually, I don't look for "solo cabins" when I cruise....so I have all the same options as anyone else..paying the price of a regular cabin? I have never been denied a cabin because of sailing solo.

• Like 1

Yes, solos can pay anywhere from the same as per person double occupancy rate to double that. On HAL I pay double to get a veranda or signature suite for just me....on Crystal I pay 140% for a veranda cabin for myself.  That's how it works for solos.

~Nancy

Okay, I am asking for my brother. He normally sails in as a solo. However, he is also realizing that it seems to limit the amount of cruises to choose from.

He can go on any cruise that a couple would go on, with the exception of "swingers cruises" (special charters that only allow couples or threesomes).  

However, the question my brother has is: "If for some reason my nephew cancels prior to  cancellation penalty phase, does the rate now change to a single supplement?"

All of the following is assuming North American booking -- other locations have other rules/laws.

If cancelling prior to Final Payment Date, the room would be subject to the single supplement, whatever that may be for that cruise. There are a few different scenarios that could happen.

A -- Someone could take your nephew's place -- typically no charge to change one name on the reservation.  This wouldn't change the fare for either individual.

B -- Your brother could reprice the room with the single supplement and room fare in place at that time.  He would want to compare the pricing with the next option to see what would be the best choice.

C -- Your brother could keep the room exactly as it is, and have the nephew be a no-show at the pier.  Port fees/taxes would be refunded, but the cruise fare would remain the same, so your brother would be paying for two people. 

Depending on the cruise line, your brother might be entitled to double "loyalty" points for options B and C, for going solo in the room and paying extra as a result.

The best way to avoid all of this would be for your nephew to pay his amount to his uncle in full right at the beginning of the process.  Then if he decides not to go, he forfeits his money, and the uncle is only paying for his own individual fare.  (By giving the money to the uncle instead of paying it to the cruise line, the nephew wouldn't be able to get it refunded to himself if he cancels -- any refund would go back onto the uncle's credit card.)

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1