Takeaway cups

eby

2 minutes ago, eby said:

What do they use when you want to take coffee back to your room ?

I don't drink coffee but I"m sure they have some wax cups with a zarf on them. Hopefully that stuff is biodegradable. 

3 hours ago, clo said:

Are they made of plastic?

Just about everything we use in this life is made of plastic or something oil based including most of our clothing.  Just can't get away from it.  Straws are not the problem.  Need to re cycle more, not ban them. 

Edited by RJB
spelling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Need to re cycle more, not ban them.

Of the three things, in order of importance it's reuse, repurpose or recycle.

Straws are a problem.  So they're part of the problem.  The list is long.  Start with the easy stuff if you wish.  Like plastic straws.

I was just unloading the dishwasher.  Here are four straws that I brought home with me.  They came in drinks.  The long ones are plastic and the short ones are paper.

• Like 2

Paper straws surviving in a dishwasher? That’s some trick!

What does Oceania use for pool drink cups? Glass? What about breakage? Every hotel I know uses plastic cups at the pool for safety reasons.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Of the three things, in order of importance it's reuse, repurpose or recycle.

Straws are a problem.  So they're part of the problem.  The list is long.  Start with the easy stuff if you wish.  Like plastic straws.

I was just unloading the dishwasher.  Here are four straws that I brought home with me.  They came in drinks.  The long ones are plastic and the short ones are paper.

thing  is that most people say the paper one's do not work and the thick paper one's can not be re cycled.   Banning straws looks good but does not even come close to solving the problem.  

Just now, RJB said:

thing  is that most people say the paper one's do not work and the thick paper one's can not be re cycled.   Banning straws looks good but does not even come close to solving the problem.  

I've been using them for over a year once they became the law in Seattle.  The paper ones can be composted, even better than recycling and plastic ones can't be recycled.

It's all a feel good thing. 

You want to know the real problem? Packaging, when Corporations get serious about reducing the amount of packaging they use then I'll pay attention to what they have to say. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, clo said:

I've been using them for over a year once they became the law in Seattle.  The paper ones can be composted, even better than recycling and plastic ones can't be recycled.

Composted,  you mean in a garbage dump. ?  Not the same thing.  Need to re cycle or just keeping the problem alive,  

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Composted,  you mean in a garbage dump. ?

No, that's not what I mean at all.  Oh my.  I guess it would have to be "Environment 101."  Google is your friend.

Again.  "Reuse, repurpose, recycle." (with recycle coming in last.)

20190727_081259 (1) - Edited.jpg

16 hours ago, clo said:

No, that's not what I mean at all.  Oh my.  I guess it would have to be "Environment 101."  Google is your friend.

Again.  "Reuse, repurpose, recycle." (with recycle coming in last.)

20190727_081259 (1) - Edited.jpg

O.K. What is it then?    Going to the garbage dump or keeping it forever? 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RJB said:

O.K. What is it then?    Going to the garbage dump or keeping it forever? 

Are you asking about the contents of that box?  If so it's things that we can reuse.  And we do reuse.  It's either glass or recyclable plastic.  When we wind up with things that we really don't use then it goes in the recycle bin which looks like our one for garbage and it gets picked up every other week.  The "garbage" goes to the landfill which is a lot better than it used to be.  Here's a piece:  https://livegreen.recyclebank.com/column/because-you-asked/why-are-landfills-bad  (I believe it mentions there that things CAN be composted.)  The occasional plastic grocery bags get kept.  Right now I have something I wound up not cooking for dinner last night so I just put one of those over it.  Our grocery stores where you can still get the plastic bags generally have a big box by their door for those which can be recycled in a specific way - probably to make more of them!  Have I given you enough info.  Out here in the West a lot of us have been doing this for so very, very long we hardly have to think about it any more.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 12:33 PM, eby said:

What do they use when you want to take coffee back to your room ?

Why would that ever be necessary t when Room Service with a proper pot and china cups is never more than a phone call away?

Live it up people, everything needn't be self serve!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ORV said:

It's all a feel good thing. 

You want to know the real problem? Packaging, when Corporations get serious about reducing the amount of packaging they use then I'll pay attention to what they have to say. 

That has been a bugaboo for me since recycling began.  I especially 'love' the plastic container that some small electronics and other articles are packaged in - you know, the ones that you can't even get open with a sharp pair of scissors!  Then there are the meat and veggie trays in the supermarkets which are then encased in - guess what?  MORE PLASTIC!    Sorry, don't mean to rant but as I stated, it's been bugging me for years.  And now almost everything you purchase except for clothing comes in a cardboard box......  !!!

1 minute ago, GeorgesGal said:

That has been a bugaboo for me since recycling began.  I especially 'love' the plastic container that some small electronics and other articles are packaged in - you know, the ones that you can't even get open with a sharp pair of scissors!  Then there are the meat and veggie trays in the supermarkets which are then encased in - guess what?  MORE PLASTIC!    Sorry, don't mean to rant but as I stated, it's been bugging me for years.  And now almost everything you purchase except for clothing comes in a cardboard box......  !!!

Ditto.  I recently ordered a really, really small item from a very nice store that we don't have here. It came in a cardboard big enough to hold probably 50 of that item.  They heard from me 😞

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, clo said:

Ditto.  I recently ordered a really, really small item from a very nice store that we don't have here. It came in a cardboard big enough to hold probably 50 of that item.  They heard from me 😞

Isn't most of that due to the anti-theft thing?

9 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Isn't most of that due to the anti-theft thing?

I don't know what that is but this was just a tube of mascara.  I get more expensive things from Prime in a padded envelope.  Sometimes.