Laundry Identification

denmarks

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It is a small heat applied numbered/lettered tag placed in an inconspicuous area of the clothing.

Can it be easily removed? What about socks? I am debating if I should have new underwear laundered on the ship.

6 minutes ago, denmarks said:

How does Princess mark your laundry? Is it an easily removable tag or do they just keep everything in a washable bag with an ID.

Yes, most items marked with a fairly easy removable tag. Look for the tag on the bottom inside for shirts, inside waist band for underwear and some other locations on other garments. I have not seen socks marked.

items are not in a washable bag. Dress shirts, T's, slacks, and similar items are returned ironed and on hangers. The steward hangs them in the closet. Underwear, socks are returned in a paper bag. I have never had a issue removing the tags, which sometimes I don't find until the next cruise.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

I use the laundry all the time.  We tend to take longer cruises.  I've never had anything lost and the tags have never been a problem with any of our clothes.  I try not to send out too many shirts that need pressing because after they press them they connect all your items with a rubber band and some things get squished and wrinkled again.

Two categories: Laundry and Cleaning.

'Laundry' was husband's socks, underwear, pre-shrunk woven shirts and wash and wear slacks. Can specify no starch and no pressing.

'Cleaning' was poly-cotton golf shirts and anything I didn't trust in a hot dryer. It's not dry cleaning but does the job.

I didn't send anything to 'Laundry' that had spandex or anything I would air dry at home.

Nothing ruined, nothing lost, tags removed easily.

No ID on the socks/underwear so they might be laundered together in a bag.

Edited by Adventures ahead

I can't say for socks but my underwear certainly had the little tags in them. 

The only issue we had in removing them is if they put them on a seam (in rare cases). The tags stick so when removing from the seam, it can break the thread. 

Once when I sent out laundry for dry cleaning my blouse was not in the returned items.  What I had done prior to sending it out was take a picture of the items sent out.  I then showed the picture to my room steward who was able to locate it in the laundry area.  

We did the ship tour on the Emerald on one of our Alaska cruises.

We watched as they applied a numbered tag to garments. We were told that the tag has to tolerate heat to 190 degrees.

The "laundry" and the "cleaning" are placed in the same type of machine.  We were told the difference is the temperature.

I was impressed with the machine that folded the sheets and towels.

6 hours ago, indygirl99 said:

We did the ship tour on the Emerald on one of our Alaska cruises.

The "laundry" and the "cleaning" are placed in the same type of machine.  We were told the difference is the temperature.

I hope they do not do that. Many "Dry clean only" clothes will be ruined by water at any temperature.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:42 AM, denmarks said:

Can it be easily removed? What about socks? I am debating if I should have new underwear laundered on the ship.

You'll be sorry. Most of my socks never fit again. It's so easy to wash out underwear in the sink & let them dry over night. The soap in the shower works well.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

You'll be sorry. Most of my socks never fit again. It's so easy to wash out underwear in the sink & let them dry over night. The soap in the shower works well.

The water temp they use is super hot. All will come back wrinkled to hell. I agree. A simple wash for socks etc in the bath room is great. A wrinkle suggestion. Hang the item in the bathroom when taking a hot shower. And then leave it there do dry for later. Wrinkles will be all gone.