Norwegian Escape BX room

mnsweeps

Booked a Balcony in Escape for the 9 day summer 2020 cruise (Scandinavia, Russia, Baltics)... BX was the cheapest but wondering if anyone has any experience on what balcony gets assigned to you. Agent said there are no balconies on Escape which have obstruction....but wanted to make sure 🙂

If you look at the ship room plans it is clear that there is no obstruction but in you book bx expect a cabin in a poor position. Remember all NCL are doing is selling off the cabins no one wants if you expect otherwise prepare to be disappointed.we were on Escape and people we met told us that they booked BX and got a noisy cabins towards the rear. They wish they had paid the fee extra dollars for a named cabin 

• 5 weeks later...

BX just means they can assign you into any balcony cabin on the ship. It doesn’t mean that they’re going to put you in the worst cabins that they wouldn’t be able to sell otherwise.

We booked a BX on the Escape last week, and got assigned into a category BC (midship balcony) just forward of the stairs on deck 10—it looks like it’ll be a great location.

You may get lucky with a good location, or you might get a location you don’t like. NCL picks it for you, and once it’s picked, there’s no way to change it (unless you bid up to a higher category).

• Like 1

I've found that the cabin assignments are just those still available for booking. Some are good, some not so good. My last few cruises I've done Balcony GTYs, so, I get the choice of FAS promos and, they choose my cabin.  Last couple have been BAs, mid ship, great location, very quiet. 

My upcoming cruise on the Joy, I've been assigned a BA close to the elevators/stairs, again, great location. 

It's true that some will get cabins that are not the best, however, it doesn't happen every time to everyone. 

Good luck

They could put you anywhere.  Are you OK with that concept?  Do you care what deck you are on?  Do you mind a long walk to the stairs/elevators?  Do you tend to get seasick if you are way forward or way aft? Do you wish to be close to a specific area where you will spend time (the pool or kids club or whatever)? Are you are very noise sensitive person who should choice their own cabin to try to reduce the odds of noise (though there can always be a crying baby or other noisy neighbor so bring ear plugs on vacay)?  

DH and I are flexible on all these points, and the “perks” are not valuable to us, so we often end up letting NCL pick our cabins.  You never know.   Some good, many so-so, and sometimes among the “worst” ones on the ship.  We are always psychologically prepared for the worst, so the few times it happens, we are fine with it; we got what we paid for.  Recently we booked a BX on Escape and were assigned a cabin on deck 13 pretty far forward.  It will be a quiet location; no issues for us.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 12:40 PM, mnsweeps said:

Booked a Balcony in Escape for the 9 day summer 2020 cruise (Scandinavia, Russia, Baltics)... BX was the cheapest but wondering if anyone has any experience on what balcony gets assigned to you. Agent said there are no balconies on Escape which have obstruction....but wanted to make sure 🙂

We have always had a good enough experience with that.
Usually family balconies, deck 9, near the stairs, a couple of times at the aft, once or twice a connecting door which posed no problems. I do not recall balconies with obstructions.

We usually book BX, because we don't need the beverage package.  (Would like the dining and internet, but not worth paying hundreds more.)

So far we have lucked out with our assignments....haven't had a bad cabin yet.  Coming up, we have deck 12 near an elevator...very pleased.

Just now, JustAPilot said:

Why would you want to be near an elevator or stairs with the amount of foot traffic you will hear near your room? Unless you have mobility issues, we pick our own cabin to be far away from elevators and stairs. 

It's good that we don't all want the same thing, isn't it.  I don't necessarily want a cabin near the stairs/elevators, however, I've not had a problem with noise. Perhaps because I'm usually up late anyway, or just don't find it that noisy.  

I also use the stairs quite a bit  as long it's no more than 5 flights up and 7 down... timing can be important. 

42 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Why would you want to be near an elevator or stairs with the amount of foot traffic you will hear near your room? Unless you have mobility issues, we pick our own cabin to be far away from elevators and stairs. 

With kids, it’s a big plus to not have to haul them far down a hallway. Near the stairs and elevators is super convenient, and as long as we’ve been a few cabins down from the entrance to the lobby, we’ve never noticed noise.

There are no obstructed balconies on 'Away class ships, but there are some crappy ones. 

For example, the Deck 8 forward balconies that are directly over the shuffleboard courts would be horrible. Also the aft upper balconies get a lot of noise from SpiceH20 parties at night. 

46 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

We’ve had cabins near elevators and stairs many times. Noise has never been an issue. We now select cabins in that location to reduce walking distances.

You will notice that many of the concerns center on noise.  Some people are more noise sensitive than others, I’m sure, as people have complained about cabins that have not bothered me.  Not that I did not hear any sounds, just that I did not find the noise bothersome. Like the above poster, I have not been bothered when my cabin was near elevators/stairs on ships (I have had trouble in such locations occasionally in hotels, so I understand the concern, but so far cruisers have been more considerate...50+ cruises).  If you or your companion is noise sensitive, picking your own cabin may be very important; a gty may not be for you.  I’d opine that for a noise sensitive person, a noisy cabin is much worse than an obstructed view.

NCL will qualify an "obstruction" if the balcony / mini suite does not have a direct line of sight between you and the water below...... so for example you may be above the Waterfront or sometimes a life boat sticks out.......  it is not your classic obstruction where something is in your way looking at the horizon

As far as where you will be placed....... you can survey 1,000 previous passengers and your assignment will be 100% independent of their's.  It could be great for you but awful for others or absolutely the worst location for you but the best for others...... I wouldn't get hung up on previous experiences but pay attention to all possible locations and if any make you uncomfortable then a BX is not for you. Period.

Thanks all for the info provided. Like someone mentioned, we don't drink any beverages (soda / alcohol) so we never get beverage package. Also we like cabin as far as possible from elevator not for noise issues (if any) but it forces us to walk (good exercise). We also take stairs up and down no matter how many floors for the same reasons... Love to see my fitbit give out good readings at the end of the day.. Thanks again folks.. 

Edited by mnsweeps

58 minutes ago, mnsweeps said:

Thanks all for the info provided. Like someone mentioned, we don't drink any beverages (soda / alcohol) so we never get beverage package. Also we like cabin as far as possible from elevator not for noise issues (if any) but it forces us to walk (good exercise). We also take stairs up and down no matter how many floors for the same reasons... Love to see my fitbit give out good readings at the end of the day.. Thanks again folks.. 

It sounds like you have a good attitude.  I hope you like your assignment.