Going through customs with connecting flight

Cindyscruising

Hopefully someone who has traveled internationally from Europe can help me..

We have upcoming returning flights booked from Venice to JFK with a somewhat tight connection in Frankfurt ..Do we go through customs in Venice and will we be able to check the luggage from Venice straight through to JFK?

I want to be sure we won’t have to claim luggage in Frankfurt

( connecting city) and recheck it to JFK

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Cindyscruising said:

Hopefully someone who has traveled internationally from Europe can help me..

We have upcoming returning flights booked from Venice to JFK with a somewhat tight connection in Frankfurt ..Do we go through customs in Venice and will we be able to check the luggage from Venice straight through to JFK?

I want to be sure we won’t have to claim luggage in Frankfurt

( connecting city) and recheck it to JFK

Thanks!

Ordinarily passengers in transit between connecting flights do not leave the secure area of the airport, your luggage transitions directly from incoming to outgoing flight, and you do not go through immigration.

Italy and Germany are both EU and Schengen, so Customs isn't necessary. Providing your flights are on the same ticket, your bags will be checked through to your first US airport. You will go through Customs there. However you will have to go through Passport Control for exit clearance in Frankfurt, as well as security before boarding your US flight.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Ordinarily passengers in transit between connecting flights do not leave the secure area of the airport, your luggage transitions directly from incoming to outgoing flight, and you do not go through immigration.

Unless, of course, for some strange reason, OP booked two different tix for the ride home.

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

you do not go through immigration.

Sorry, that is not correct. If leaving the Schengen area, you have to clear through Passport Control. This is from the Frankfurt airport website:

• You are arriving from a Schengen country and are traveling to a non-Schengen country: You will probably have to clear a passport check. Depending on your nationality, you may require a transit visa. If in doubt, please contact an embassy or consulate of your country.
Edited by mom says

First thing to remember is that there is a difference between "customs" and "immigration".  Simple rule - customs refers to goods, immigration refers to people.

For the flight from VCE to FRA to JFK:  The VCE-FRA flight is "intra-Schengen" so there is neither customs nor immigration relevant to that segment.  The FRA-JFK flight is "extra-Schengen", so you have both immigration and customs related to that segment.  The EU will perform outbound immigration check on your way out of FRA - there will be a passport control barrier that you will go through between the "Schengen" and "non-Schengen" areas of FRA.  Your bags will be transferred without your involvement if they have been through checked at VCE.

Upon arrival at JFK, you will head for processing by US immigration officials.  After immigration processing, you will collect your luggage and then pass through US customs.  Assuming you have no further flights, you then just head out of the building and on your way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

YMMV.

I have experienced what FlyerTalker described on most of our transfers in FRA. On some, but not all, of those occasions we also had to go through security. But on a couple we deplaned and simply walked to the gate for our flight to the US. Don't ask me why.

You may find that the Venice flight might not come directly to a gate. You could have to talk down the air stairs and then take a bus to the terminal. That's a good reason to limit your carryons.

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Unless, of course, for some strange reason, OP booked two different tix for the ride home.

Thank you so much for the helpful information! Both segments of flights ( Venice- Frankfurt and Frankfurt to JFK) all on the same ticket ( Lufthansa airline)

1 minute ago, Cindyscruising said:

Thank you so much for the helpful information! Both segments of flights ( Venice- Frankfurt and Frankfurt to JFK) all on the same ticket ( Lufthansa airline)

Just to put your mind at ease: When you get your baggage claim check, you'll see JFK as the final destination for your bags.

First thing first. Don't assume you will leave from the gate printed on your boarding pass. Double check that on the first info board you see or with an employee at an info kiosk before you walk too far. A gate change isn't a regular occurrence, but it happens.

Just be prepared  for a long walk in FRA. Sometimes you find yourself walking from one end of the airport to the other, going up a level and then walking back the same way to just above where you started. 

key is to follow the signs to the terminal and gate you need. FRA is otherwise efficient and it's easy to find English speaking employees if you need assistance. Unless we know we have time to kill, our approach is to hustle get to the departure gate then relax. 

I would just be concerned with how tight the connect is.  Frankfurt is a huge airport.  If you have a long distance between gates and a tight connection, you could run out of time.  On each of my Frankfurt flights we've had to be bused from terminal to plan and vice versa.

• Like 1

For flights to the US, you will have another security check entering the part of the terminal with the US bound flights.

You will clear passport control also in Frankfurt airport.

I have never had to collect my luggage in Europe, when transiting.  Even when starting in Schengen or not.   Even when coming from Asia or Africa.  But in almost every case, before the flight to the US, required a security check.