Sugar Straw Question

NotTooCritical

On 8/24/2019 at 9:06 AM, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Doesn't bother me at all.  In fact, I prefer to drink my beers out of a glass, rather than a bottle.  Tastes better that way.  (Unless it's cheap stuff like Bud or Miller, which doesn't have much flavor to begin with.)

Based on you post not sure where you actually stand on Corona.

But do you know the history about Corona and the lime thing.

Before it became a breakout beer in the United States, it was a cheap beer in Mexico.  Surfers would go down the Baja peninsula for surfing (natch).  They would buy Corona's because they were so cheap and put the lime in it to cover up the taste

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The sugar straws are firm and crisp, until they are not. They are the width of smoothie straws. My son downed his drinks with them and then ate them. Plastic straws were not provided anymore for regular drinks, but waiters would often ask if you wanted one. At least on the Magic last week, they did not seem to be in short supply. The sugar straws do get slimy and start to fall apart. 

On 8/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, gatour said:

But do you know the history about Corona and the lime thing.

Before it became a breakout beer in the United States, it was a cheap beer in Mexico.  Surfers would go down the Baja peninsula for surfing (natch).  They would buy Corona's because they were so cheap and put the lime in it to cover up the taste

Yes, I know the history.  I also read the lime is used in Corona because it comes in clear bottles, rather than dark ones.  So it gets "skunked" by bright light wherever it's kept.  In other words, it starts to taste bad.  That's where the lime comes in.

Speaking of cheap, when I was in a bar in Cozumel during my Imagination cruise, I ordered a Corona.  I know Spanish, to that's how I spoke to the bartender.  He smiled and said: "Corona is for people who don't know Mexican beer.  You speak Spanish.  Pacifico is much better; I'll give it to you for the same price." (translated)  I don't know whether he was upselling me or not, but I was in a good mood, so I accepted.  And it was indeed a good beer.

• Like 1

I was personally served Lime and Chocolate on the Horizon 2 weeks ago. They had strawberry too.

ECO FRIENDLY: Sorbos Edible Straws are 100% biodegradable and environmentally friendly drinking straws. Not only are the Sorbos Straws biodegradable, but no plastics are used at any stage of their manufacturing process. Offering an alternative to plastic straws, Sorbos Straws wants to be a role model for companies in terms of change, commitment to the environment and improving the lives of people, both individually and collectively.

5 FLAVOURS: The Sorbos Edible Straws have 23 calories and are made of sugar, water, maize starch and gelatin. There is a choice of five flavours: strawberry, lime, lemon, green apple or chocolate. R & D Department are already working on new flavours to be announced soon.

WRAPPED: All Sorbos Straws come individually wrapped in recycled paper to ensure optimum levels of hygiene are maintained.

RIGID: A group of food engineers have developed the ideal formula for Sorbos Straw purposes, with the right rigidity, durability and stability, without either the colour or flavouring of the straws tainting the drink. The result is an EcoStraw which does not dissolve in the drink and stays in its original form for up to 50 minutes.Once the drink is finished, the client can eat the straw, which has absorbed the taste of the drink, as if it acted as a sponge.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 11:57 AM, patrice1 said:

I now bring my own straw everywhere. I started with the stainless ones, but I didn't like them clanking on my teeth, so I bought silicone ones. Love them! Bought one that folds into a little case and keep it in my purse.

where did you get silicone? don't like drinking out of metal.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did you think they got slimey, had a frozen something and half way thru it got kind of gross.....?

I thought they were a novelty on day one. My kids actually tried them a sweat treat but that lasted all of a couple of minutes. I actually give Carnival credit for trying this and taking the initiative to solve a problem that seems to be two sided. Some people are hell bent on straws and some are hell bent against. These straws are just that a novelty. After a minute in the drink they become sticky and start to deform. The straw probably lasts intact for about 5-8 minutes. I am guilty - I took plastic straws for my frozen drinks and refrained when they were not needed. 

On an off topic I also did not like that there were no covers for the iced coffee and milk shakes and the hot coffees got a paper cover which were flimsy and if you pulled on the cup from the cover (which I do) -  you learn quick that your cup will fall down! It also distorted the taste of the coffee like a paper straw.  

1 minute ago, Stick93 said:

I thought they were a novelty on day one. My kids actually tried them a sweat treat but that lasted all of a couple of minutes. I actually give Carnival credit for trying this and taking the initiative to solve a problem that seems to be two sided. Some people are hell bent on straws and some are hell bent against. These straws are just that a novelty. After a minute in the drink they become sticky and start to deform. The straw probably lasts intact for about 5-8 minutes. I am guilty - I took plastic straws for my frozen drinks and refrained when they were not needed. 

On an off topic I also did not like that there were no covers for the iced coffee and milk shakes and the hot coffees got a paper cover which were flimsy and if you pulled on the cup from the cover (which I do) -  you learn quick that your cup will fall down! It also distorted the taste of the coffee like a paper straw.  

I cannot believe it took me 5 minutes to finish a drink....  I do remember a brain freeze tho.  I did have a milkshake but honestly do not remember a lid or not...

On 8/23/2019 at 4:46 PM, Barry ATL said:

My DH is type 1 diabetic.  A sugar straw is probably not a good idea.  Is plastic still available or do we need to invest in a re-usable straw?  We will be on an 11/4 cruise.

RC had paper straws on our cruise in March.  Those were equally awful.  I think people just need to get used to drinking without a straw if these are our choices.....

24 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

RC had paper straws on our cruise in March.  Those were equally awful.  I think people just need to get used to drinking without a straw if these are our choices.....

Have you ever tried to drink a milkshake without a straw?  Doesn't really work.  Some drinks need them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Have you ever tried to drink a milkshake without a straw?  Doesn't really work.  Some drinks need them.

I mean, I really don't care one way or the other.  I just think if people keep making a stink about things they will go away entirely.  I have metal straws if I absolutely need them but since my Rodan friend said drinking with straws causes mouth wrinkles I have tried to not use them much 🤣

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

I just did on RC after the paper straw failed in about five minutes.  Maybe I should have just kept asking for a new one until they got the point.

• Haha 1