OBC (Onboard Credit)

bigdawgs

Last Jan. We were on the Equinox and were given approximately $200 in onboard credit by Celebrity, which we used to purchase a tour and a specialty restaurant. We were told by Guest Services that unused onboard credits were non-refundable. 

Our account also listed another $300 OBC which came from our travel agent.

Keeping in mind the info. from  Guest Services, we decided to make some onboard purchases which came to approximately $250.

Following the cruise, we received our credit card bill which included a credit of $50, representing the unused OBC. 

Q: Is this the standard policy on all Celebrity cruises or was this a one-off situation?

We are going on a Celebrity Cruise next month and I want to know what the rules are. Apparently Guest Services is not always reliable.

Thanks for your input.

Larry 

On board credits are treated differently depending on who is providing them.  OBC provided directly from the cruiseline and sometimes as promo from when your booking is a part of a group (and you may not even no your reservation is in a group) is not refundable.  You must use it while on the ship or lose it.  On board credit coming directly from your travel agent is usually refundable such as what you experienced on your previous cruise.  If any of it is not used they will refund to your credit card at the end of the sailing.  When on board I believe the OBC will show up as OBN (on board non-refundable) or OBR (on board refundable).  

The answer you received from guest services was simply incomplete. The onboard credit you received from Celebrity was, indeed, not refundable. They spent that first. The credit you received from your travel agent was at least partially refundable. They spent that after the other was all gone. You had $50 left and receive that as a credit on your credit card. That’s exactly how it works.   

3 minutes ago, ShawninFL said:

On board credits are treated differently depending on who is providing them.  OBC provided directly from the cruiseline and sometimes as promo from when your booking is a part of a group (and you may not even no your reservation is in a group) is not refundable.  You must use it while on the ship or lose it.  On board credit coming directly from your travel agent is usually refundable such as what you experienced on your previous cruise.  If any of it is not used they will refund to your credit card at the end of the sailing.  When on board I believe the OBC will show up as OBN (on board non-refundable) or OBR (on board refundable).  

ShawnFL is correct.    By the end of day 2 your OBC will show on your zonBoard account and you can track what is remaining by checking your account on the TV.

Any charges are applied against the OBN (non-refundable) first.  When that  is exhausted then charges will be applied to the OBR

Always a good idea to check either you in room account or stop by the front desk and ask for a couple of your bill.   If the Credit has a R after the description it is refundable and if N than is non-refundable.    Celebrity issued credits are usually Non-Refundable.   

As for OBC's from agents -  they are usually refundable if not spent.   I have however had my agent apply some amount that was non-refundable.   

Same topic different question.

Is there any way to upload cash on your account pre-cruise? (First time with Celebrity)

E.g. Carnival has this option, you can pre-purchase cruise cash just like an excursion.

I m not willing to provide my bank card details at all, so if it does not work, then we just add cash while boarding I guess.

Thanks