Bottle of Wine at the Buffet?

Tom.Terrific

So we're just 10 days away from cruise #17, and of course we're going to bring a couple of bottles of wine with us.  I know to expect a corkage fee when we bring a bottle to one of the bars / lounges, MDR, and specialty restaurants.  But how about the Lido buffet?  We've enjoyed some surprisingly nice dinners in the buffet.  Are there any concerns with taking a bottle there?  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, The7Harrisons said:

Exactly, we bring our own cork screw, use the glasses in the room and carry wine where ever we want, why pay a corkage fee?

Corkage fee is for bringing a bottle of wine Carnival doesn't sell, not for taking out the cork.

It can be hit or miss if get charged in MDR

Edited by canes20
  • Like 1

We often have our bottle of wine on Lido when we choose to have pizza as opposed to going to dining room one evening. The bartender across from the pizza station has been happy to given us “wine glasses.” No questions asked. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canes20 said:

Corkage fee is for bringing a bottle of wine Carnival doesn't sell, not for taking out the cork.

Exactly.  There were times we were charged and times we were not charged.  We just pour a glass in our cabin and bring it to the MDR now.

Corkage fees are charged when you bring a bottle into dining room and ask them to open it or even pour it, that’s why I said bring your own bottles, pour your own in your room using the glasses they provide, go anywhere you want including the MDR, and you will have NO problem!

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Bringing the bottle is a way to invite trouble. You are not supposed to bring one. However, you may have an issue, you may not

where did you hear this? We bring bottles of wine to dinner opened and have never been charged a corkage. They even gave us a wine bucket

5 hours ago, coevan said:

where did you hear this? We bring bottles of wine to dinner opened and have never been charged a corkage. They even gave us a wine bucket

On our last cruise Carnival Splendor, we brought a bottle of wine to the MD that was already opened. The waiter told us that we would be charged a corkage fee because the wine was not bought in the dining room (or from the ship).

My DH took the bottle back to the room and poured his glass of wine there. He did that for the rest of the cruise. You can two fist it if you like, but wine that is not bought through the ship is subject to the fee.

We also had a bottle of champagne that was a gift on the ship and were able to bring that bottle with no problem. If your wait staff sees the bottle and does not charge you, they may find themselves in trouble. If you want to have wine, just plan ahead and carry a glass or two with you to the table.

5 hours ago, familyoutdoors said:

On our last cruise Carnival Splendor, we brought a bottle of wine to the MD that was already opened. The waiter told us that we would be charged a corkage fee because the wine was not bought in the dining room (or from the ship).

My DH took the bottle back to the room and poured his glass of wine there. He did that for the rest of the cruise. You can two fist it if you like, but wine that is not bought through the ship is subject to the fee.

We also had a bottle of champagne that was a gift on the ship and were able to bring that bottle with no problem. If your wait staff sees the bottle and does not charge you, they may find themselves in trouble. If you want to have wine, just plan ahead and carry a glass or two with you to the table.

Hi

As it already has been said, and not surprisingly for Carnival, the corkage fee charge in the MDR has been applied very inconsistently. I would say in the MDR it would be a definite "maybe they will charge you" if you bring an unopened bottle. 

For the Lido buffet/pizza, no problems. Bring your wine. I have even gotten glasses the from the poolside bars. Sometimes they have been plastic glasses, but I think with pizza and salad that isn't too far out of line (and they aren't one time use) 😃

Generally, I would say, (unless you are trying to do something stupid) the staff on all the ships are trying to help you have a good time.

have a great cruise

11 hours ago, coevan said:

The rules state you cannot carry and consume open bottles around the ship. Then again, the rules also state there is a corkage fee, but that can be up to the discretion of your waiter. The OP also stated this was in the buffet. Carnival absolutely does not want a culture of the buffet being a place where everyone is drinking bottles of wine.

Two weeks ago, on the Carnival Magic, I had no problem pouring wine into the glasses in my room and taking that to the MDR.  Since the glasses are really water glasses and not wine glasses, you can easily fit the equivalent of two wine glasses in the glass.

19 hours ago, canes20 said:

Here ya go!

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne, per person, in their carry-on luggage. Outside this exception, all liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

Guests sailing with us on back-to-back cruises are entitled to bring the same quantity as stated in this policy, per cruise. The additional quantities will be stored for safekeeping at the start of the first cruise and will be given to the guest as each following cruise begins.

Corkage Fee

Should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, specialty restaurant or bar, a $15.00 USD corkage fee, per 750 ml bottle, will be charged. A corkage fee is a charge that is assessed, at time of service, for every bottle that is served and not bought on the premises.

This should clear things up for those confused about what's allowed and what a corkage fee is for:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne, per person, in their carry-on luggage. Outside this exception, all liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

Guests sailing with us on back-to-back cruises are entitled to bring the same quantity as stated in this policy, per cruise. The additional quantities will be stored for safekeeping at the start of the first cruise and will be given to the guest as each following cruise begins.

Corkage Fee

Should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, specialty restaurant or bar, a $15.00 USD corkage fee, per 750 ml bottle, will be charged. A corkage fee is a charge that is assessed, at time of service, for every bottle that is served and not bought on the premises.

14 minutes ago, The7Harrisons said:

This should clear things up for those confused about what's allowed and what a corkage fee is for:

Corkage Fee

Still hit or miss if you WILL be charged

2 hours ago, coevan said:

I would never pay $15 to open a $15 bottle of wine, makes absolutely no sense. Who would say anything in the buffet, the bus boys?

Have you never bought a bottle of wine onboard?  If you have, you've paid $15+ to open and pour a $9 bottle of wine...

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

every single time we cruise, never been charged, don't be so sure of yourself. Not only have we never been charged, i would never pay it. If they pushed i would bring it back to the cabin and pour in glasses. 

That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying if you buy wine ON BOARD, you are paying at least $15 over the actual face value of the wine, even if you take it with you.  So yes, you ARE being charged, albeit "included" in the price of the wine.  So yeah, I'm quite sure of myself that you're paying it, like it or not.