HAL Cruise Up The Amazon - Who's Done It?

SargassoPirate

I have done that cruise and highly recommend it.  It was part of an extended trip beginning with a couple of Crystal Cruises.  Here's a link to the page in my blog for the day I boarded the Prinsendam.  At the very bottom of each post there is an arrow on the right side pointing to the next post ("decorations" is a late post on Crystal but from then all newer posts should be about the Amazon cruise:

https://amazonextended.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/tuesday-november-26-board-ms-prinsendam/

Roy

We did the Amazon on the Massdam a couple of years ago. It included an overnight in Rio during carnival, it was one of our bucket list destinations. Glad we did it. Enjoy your cruise.  

From Manaus, where most Amazon cruises start or "turn around" the Amazon is one giant shipping channel.  The brochures show this meandering river through virgin forest (which is what I thought it would be) but it can be a mile across, trash, logs, river traffic, and mud colored water.  Would I do it again - yep - but it was a let down.  The highlight of that trip was Devils Island - very cool, unique experience.

We did this cruise on the Prinsendam in November 2012, and are repeating the itinerary this November 2019.  It was an incredible experience and we are looking forward to returning in November on the Volendam.  High point was Boca do Valerio and the people and children, also Devil's Island.  Also the Boi Bumba Show in Parintins!

The Amazon is a huge wide river...reminded me of the Mississippi.  It is the road of the region and the river traffic was fascinating.  Seeing Manaus was incredible....such a large city in the rainforest.  The fish market was amazing, and the opera house and remnants of the rubber boom sobering.

The river was down 100 ft. and we didn't get to see the Victoria Regina waterlilies.  Did see pink dolphins swimming in the river and the meeting of the waters.  We are looking forward to more into the jungle tours this time.  This sailing includes Belem, and important port for the rubber boom.

We had violent thunderstorms as the ship sailed at night and there were huge harmless black beetles the size of .50 coins littering the decks each morning to be swept away by the staff.  It was Hot and Humid!

Seeing the region and it's people was enlightening and a privilege for us.  Prices are great now...we booked over a year ago while it was still the Prinsendam.  You no longer need the Brazil Visa if you are a US citizen!   Go for it!!

Karen

Lot of brown water and smoke. The high lite for me was finding Rum Distileries in the islands.

Hot, and very high humidity( like 95 and 95) if you are outside, and then inside like a deep freeze.

Every cruise that I have been on was culturally more interesting.

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

You will like Boca de Valeria, an experience..

I sailed on the original Royal Princess on a re-positioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale-Manaus (two day stay)-Rome.  It was a great cruise with good views of the rain forest along the Amazon and shore excursions that were unique (i.e. hunting alligators at night during our stop at Manaus).  I had booked an excursion where we were going fishing for piranha, but we arrived very late at the port (thanks to Brazilian Immigration's very, very, very slow clearance of the Royal Princess) and my chance to catch a piranha evaporated.

Boca de Valeria was another highlight.  Yes, probably a bit touristy (have dollar bills available). Yet, it, too, was a unique port.

• Like 1

Loved it!  We were on the Veendam with the same great captain that we had for the Voyage of the Vikings.  I was thinking the other day I'd love to repeat this.  We went to Carnival in Rio.  It is amazing but once was enough for that.  Just too late for me.  We saw four of the parades but the winning was one of the final two that performed after 3 a.m.  

Loved all of the ports on the Amazon.   Some of those on the coast of Brazil are underwhelming and can be a bit dangerous if one goes out on your own.  I'd stick to excursions on the coast.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Loreto said:

....You no longer need the Brazil Visa if you are a US citizen!   Go for it!!

Karen

Wow, I missed that one.  Last time we were in Brazil on an Around the Horn cruise it cost us over $100 and two trips to a Brazilian embassy.  This is great news, Karen, thanks.

• Like 1

I would concur with all the comments.  Did this cruise on Prinsendam in November/December 2016.

We did not experience any problems with mosquitoes either on the ship in the river or along coastal areas as the river itself is too acidic (as I recall) for their development.  But there are lots and lots of other bugs that will be attracted to the ship's lights; go out in the early morning and see the multitudes of dead bugs on deck.

If you are sensitive to the heat and humidity, be forewarned and forearmed!  Someone mentioned 95F temps and 95% humidity and this is not much of an exaggeration.  Water, water, water.  Light clothing that wicks moisture.  Open mesh headgear.  You'll need sun protection but not at the expense of being able to efficiently cool yourself so be sure to have performance, sun protective clothing and cover.

One of the best stops on our cruise was, as mentioned above, Devil's Island.  You don't actually go to Devil's Island (it's not conducive to tourists on tenders), instead you go to Royal Island which was the administrative headquarters of the penal colony.  This is where the solitary unit was located which you may remember from the movie 'Papillon'; the movie did a good job of depicting this area.  Be prepared here for long walks up and down ramps and poorly maintained stairs (the latter being built by prisoners) but be on the lookout for monkeys, birds and reptiles.  You'll get a very good view of Devil's Island itself on the other side of Royal Island from where you'll dock.  Bring euros if you want to spend money at the hotel on the island for soda, water or souvenirs.  This is a one-of-a-kind stop.

The river itself is amazing!  It is huge, incredibly broad at its mouth (depending on where the ship is on the river and visibility, you'll not be able to see both sides of the river).  When you get to the meeting of the waters near Manaus, you'll see a very dark colored Rio Negro merge with the Amazon's milk chocolate color; they run parallel and slowly mix over the course of a few miles down river.  Look for the pink dolphin all along the river.  Fish for piranha.  Get a professional tour guide to take you to places around Santarem where you'll see the way locals have to live in the jungles along the river that floods them out yearly.  I found a wonderful guide named Gil Serique (http://www.gilserique.com/) who did a marvelous job with our small private tours, both in Santarem and in Alter do Chao (where he lives and will invite you to stay in his home there!).  Manaus is a bustling city deep in the Amazon; be sure to see the theater there.  Boca da Valeria is a bit touristy but these people try hard to bring the jungle to the visitors in terms of wildlife and dress.

Do not miss the Boi Bumba show in Parintins!  I repeat; don't miss it!  It might seem expensive but you'll be missing out on one of the most energetic and thrilling live shows presented only for you (and a couple hundred of your fellow cruisers) by young and talented performers.  We didn't know what to expect but we didn't know where the 90 minutes went it was so enthralling.  If it's in the convention center in Parintins (think high school auditorium) it will be warm and intimate but you'll want to sit in the front row for the very best views as there is no stadium seating.

It's nice that you haven't got to pay for a Brazilian visa any longer, ours was $160 for 10 years but even this was well worth it.  Make the most of your visit before the Amazon burns up!

Edited by 0bnxshs

Thanks Obnxshs. Although I do much better in cool dry climates, I have travelled to other parts of the world where it was hot and humid.  Staying hydrated and wearing appropriate clothing is the key.  I'll be sure to be prepared (I'm an old Boy Scout)

I am really getting stoked about this trip.

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks Obnxshs. Although I do much better in cool dry climates, I have travelled to other parts of the world where it was hot and humid.  Staying hydrated and wearing appropriate clothing is the key.  I'll be sure to be prepared (I'm an old Boy Scout)

I am really getting stoked about this trip.

Have a scout salute and a bit of a donation ready when you get to Parintins.  The scouts there (they are a coed group in Brazil) regularly come out and help people up the steep ramps and direct traffic.  At the end of the day they will have jars (but no pressure) to accept donations.

seascouts.jpg

Roy