Whaaat? Celebrity charges LESS for something?

warmwinds

Maybe I'm not reading this right.  But our cruise is stopping in Key West, and we were interested in the Old Town Trolley.  According to the OTT website, they charge about $37 and change for an adult ticket.

But we have some on-board credit so on a lark I looked to see if Celebrity had something similar...well, it seems they do, the very same Old Town Trolley for....$25.  Usually they will mark stuff up, so I'm wondering if I'm looking at the wrong thing or what.  If it's true that's great.

• Like 1

I didn't check earlier this month while in Juneau, Alaska -- but in the past a ticket for the Mt. Roberts tramway purchased from the Celebrity excursions desk was the same price as if you purchased directly from either the Mt. Roberts website or from the purchase counter at the tramway.

When we were in Boston 2 years ago we booked the trolley tour so that we could get off the ship quickly as this was our first stop on a TA and we had to go through immigration. The price was about the same as booking direct but the difference was that you could only take the round tour and not hoho like the direct booking , we did not notice this until we got there 

A couple of years ago, we pre-purchased tickets directly from the company for less than the price of the ship excursion. Admittedly, that was an advanced purchase seniors price, but most of the HOHO companies offer cheaper prices for buying online ahead of your date. The ship excursion sounded good at first, picking you up at the dock, but if you took the time to research it, the walk over to the normal starting location only took about two minutes. Still, for someone with mobility issues, the dockside pick up was big plus. The deal breaker for us, however, was that the ship excursion was a single tour around the loop as opposed to allowing as many loops and hops on and off as you wanted. In our case, we took one complete loop in order to see as much as possible of Key West and enjoying the commentary, then took a second loop to get off an explore numerous areas in greater depth.

Mind you, what is offered now by Celebrity and the companies may not be exactly the same today. Still, to be sure that you are getting the best deal, compare all of the details, not just the prices.

2 hours ago, warmwinds said:

You know, you may be right...it says "you can hop off wherever you want" but the words "hop on/hop off" are not used.  Sneaky.  I will have to investigate further.  If you can stop at just one place then it is not worth it.

Let us know as this does make a difference 

Thanks

Sea ya 

Eric

Actually, I booked a cruise for myself and my husband in a C2 for February 2021 for my 60th birthday on the Equinox.  For a 12-day cruise, it was less expensive that Carnival believe it or not.  The cruise was more expensive until I added to cost of the 4 perks and then when I added them to the Carnival cruise, it became more expensive.  I love Celebrity and cannot complain,  it is our favorite cruise line.

1 hour ago, oneputt18 said:

why pay anything, Key West has their own free shuttle bus.

https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

Thank you, that's a very useful link. Should we return to Key West, we will definitely take advantage of this service.

For a first-time visitor, however, I think the commercial HOHO operations offer two major advantages, albeit at a price: their routes are quite a bit more extensive than the free Duval loop, and the very interesting and informative narration on the HOHO's.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:23 AM, oneputt18 said:

why pay anything, Key West has their own free shuttle bus.

https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

We will be doing the Old Town Trolley next October.  For us, it is to learn a little history of the town at the same time, which I doubt the free bus offers.  Or am I wrong???

23 minutes ago, elaineb said:

We will be doing the Old Town Trolley next October.  For us, it is to learn a little history of the town at the same time, which I doubt the free bus offers.  Or am I wrong???

Depends on the bus driver, but we followed an online guide and got off at the attractions we wanted to see. 

You always know when the next bus is available, they have a real time tracker. 

If you just want a tour, then most certainly use the trolley.