JFK Terminal 4 Question ??

ischeer

We are facing a long, long layover (6 hrs) in Terminal 4.  We will probably spend most of the time in the Delta Lounge, but I would like to get out and take a look around the new TWA Hotel which is adjacent to Terminal 4.  Does anyone know if I can do this on foot ? Is there a pedestrian walkway between T4 and the TWA Hotel ?

Actually the TWA hotel is adjacent to the NEXT terminal, not terminal 4.  To get there you have to go OUT of security, then hop on the (free) monorail which goes between terminals. (About every 2-3 minutes.)  No you cant walk it.  

Technically you can walk it although you'll need to hop a couple of low barriers and there won't be any pedestrian crossings. Just make a right from the Arrivals level and keep on walking and you'll soon notice its familiar shape. It's only a couple of hundred yards from T4 to the TWA Hotel.

The walk from the AirTrain T5 to the TWA Hotel is a really around the houses affair but if you've got loads of time...

As Flyertalker says the rooftop poolbar is more restrictive than what it first opened. If you're not a hotel guest it's a $50 minimum per person. Cocktails are in the $12-$18 range and beers are just shy of $10 so if you plan on grabbing drinks and lunch there for example then the $50/pp is easy to hit. I've been a few times and it's an amazing spot and superb for a layover.

Edited by fbgd

Thanks to all for your responses. 

Back in 1986, we passed through that terminal; spent most of the time anxiously looking for a suitcase that never did show up; we proceeded to fly across the Atlantic, knowing that one suitcase was not with us. It finally made it to Frankfurt 24 hrs after we did. I'd like to see the building, just for old times' sake.

On 9/3/2019 at 12:53 PM, ischeer said:

Back in 1986, we passed through that terminal; spent most of the time anxiously looking for a suitcase that never did show up; we proceeded to fly across the Atlantic, knowing that one suitcase was not with us. It finally made it to Frankfurt 24 hrs after we did. I'd like to see the building, just for old times' sake.

Yeah, we made a special pilgrimage to JFK a few years ago the day before they closed the old terminal 3 (Pan AM building)   Now THAT place had more than a few memories for me!   And yeah, I am still one of the old timers that call terminal 1 the Eastern Terminal, Terminal 2 the NW Terminal, three the Pan Am terminal, and on and on........

On 9/3/2019 at 12:53 PM, ischeer said:

I doubt you'd recognize a building you last saw 33 years ago.  Renovations and remodelings would leave it looking nothing like it did before.

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2019 at 11:11 AM, waterbug123 said:

I doubt you'd recognize a building you last saw 33 years ago.  Renovations and remodelings would leave it looking nothing like it did before.

No, it looks a lot like it did. My first flight to Europe was from that terminal. I don't remember a lot, but I remember the "flight tube" hallways to the gates. From what I've seen of the photos, the public areas look as they did. 

My question about the hotel is does anyone know if it's walkable from the hotel to T7? It looks like a lot shorter than the route using the Air Train. I'm staying at the hotel this spring and have an early flight out of T7. Wish the hotel had a courtesy van.

We did it this past summer.  We purposely got to JFK several hours prior to our flight so we could go check out the TWA hotel.   I've forgotten which terminal we took the air train to, (just ask) and it's kind of connected to that terminal.   We wondered around the terminal and went onto the "Constellation" which is parked next to the terminal.  It's a cocktail lounge.  A few original seats and a poster showing how the plane was originally configured.  Getting out to the plane was no easy task, in, out,  up, down, around and through.  You'd think there would just be a door from the main lobby out to the plane.  Anyway...it was a pleasant way to kill a couple of hours prior to our flight.

Just spent the night at the TWA hotel.   Yes, It looks a LOT like the old terminal.  Yes the old "tunnels" to the gates are still there...  Yes the Connie is DAMN cool.   Remember that the rooftop bar is NOT open during the winter, but the pool is there, and it it IS heated, (and damn cool to sit in and watch planes from!)  and while the bar is not open, the area is so you can wander up there.   Yes the rooms are REALLY quiet, (Even when an A380 is rolling by 100' from your window........

One last comment.   They do have a real restaurant there, and what makes it interesting is that it seems to be the only "upscale" restaurant on the airport property that is outside of security.   (With the exception of the diner in terminal 4... and THAT food is absolute crap)   This place has REALLY good food, (although REALLY pricey) and is a lot more upscale than it looks like at first glance.  

6 hours ago, FredT said:

They do have a real restaurant there, and what makes it interesting is that it seems to be the only "upscale" restaurant on the airport property that is outside of security.   (With the exception of the diner in terminal 4... and THAT food is absolute crap)   This place has REALLY good food, (although REALLY pricey) and is a lot more upscale than it looks like at first glance.  

It is a Jean Georges restaurant though, not just somewhere taking advantage of the location.

• Like 1