Modified cruise itinerary

Lottacruises

Huh?

"Carnival Ecstasy 09/05/19 – Our plan is to embark this sailing in Port Canaveral tomorrow. Please proceed to the cruise terminal in Jacksonville between 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Complimentary motor coach transportation will be provided to Port Canaveral. Do not drive to Port Canaveral as the ship will return to Jacksonville on Monday, September 9."

Is the parking in Jacksonville prone to flood?

I wonder how long it will take to bus all of the passengers, luggage, etc... 

What about check in? Either they're doing it in Jacksonville, or those refused boarding passengers will be stuck in Port Canaveral or? 

Lots of uncertainty and logistics to work out here...

Not hard really. Jaxport will still be closed tomorrow. Port Canaveral will be open. Divert ship to PC. Debarking passengers will be bussed back to Jaxport. Embarking passengers will be bussed to PC. Probably need to check in at Jaxport in order to board busses.I think it is a good plan. 😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

There should be an option to cancel.  The cruise does not leave from the scheduled port nor travel to one of the scheduled ports.  Carnival needs to step up on this one!

I'm sure some compensation will be offered. 

26 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

Is the parking in Jacksonville prone to flood?

I wonder how long it will take to bus all of the passengers, luggage, etc... 

What about check in? Either they're doing it in Jacksonville, or those refused boarding passengers will be stuck in Port Canaveral or? 

Lots of uncertainty and logistics to work out here...

The reason is for your safety. They don't make these decisions haphazardly. The ports are 160 miles apart or a 2 1/82 hour drive. Seems like they are handling this very professionally. I also believe they will offer some OBC for your inconvenience. 

• Like 3

Having just gotten off the Ecstasy two weeks ago I would have been very happy with this decision. I also have cruise insurance that covers change in itinerary which would have made the cruise almost free. When you book during hurricane season you take your chances, so make sure you are covered for any eventuality .😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

There should be an option to cancel.  The cruise does not leave from the scheduled port nor travel to one of the scheduled ports.  Carnival needs to step up on this one!

They fulfilled their obligation by providing transportation so no obligation to offer compensation for cancellation.

We recently did a similar bus trip when the recent Gulf hurricane hit New Orleans.   That port was closed so we instead arrived in Mobile, Alabama.   True, a logistical nightmare for Carnival (and for the next cruise too), but they handled it as well as could be expected.  Mild inconvenience for us, but I'd rather be safe.  Good luck to all. 

11 hours ago, coevan said:

You're the OP, did you quote someone else?

Yes, that was carnival.

On another note we are scheduled to leave on the 14th to freeport, nassau, half moon cay, and key west. I spoke to someone at Carnival and he said that they would let us know about freeport on Monday, implying that they were either going to do a sea day or an alternative port. He also implied that nassau and half moon cay would be visited. 

I don't mind if we are rerouted completely and skip the Bahamas altogether, whatever works best for those people that live there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

Yes, that was carnival.

On another note we are scheduled to leave on the 14th to freeport, nassau, half moon cay, and key west. I spoke to someone at Carnival and he said that they would let us know about freeport on Monday, implying that they were either going to do a sea day or an alternative port. He also implied that nassau and half moon cay would be visited. 

I don't mind if we are rerouted completely and skip the Bahamas altogether, whatever works best for those people that live there. 

Nassau is open now so that won't change.

I am also interested as to whether or not the parking area flooded.  We are sailing on the 23rd and don't want to chance having our car flooded.  Will go a day early and find a hotel on higher grounds and leave car there for the five days we are gone.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

I'm on the Magic, leaving on 9/8. We were scheduled to visit Half Moon Cay on 9/9 but are visiting Nassau instead. 

49 minutes ago, Blondie419ag said:

I'm on the Magic, leaving on 9/8. We were scheduled to visit Half Moon Cay on 9/9 but are visiting Nassau instead. 

Thanks! We already have Nassau scheduled so I'm uncertain what this would mean for us if we skip half moon cay also. I'll update here when I find out. 

Did you get the email saying that or did you see it in your cruise manager. I know in the past it's been that email with a pdf.

We're sailing on the Ecstasy from Jax on the 14th.  We are planning on parking at the terminal too, and hope they don't have an issue with flooding.  We're supposed to go to Nassau as well as Princess Cay.  Does anyone know how Princess Cay did with the hurricane? 

2 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

Did you get the email saying that or did you see it in your cruise manager. I know in the past it's been that email with a pdf.

It was an email, without an attachment. I checked my cruise manager as well and that was updated, too. 

"As you may know, Hurricane Dorian made landfall in The Bahamas a few days ago.  The storm's impact to Half Moon Cay was limited to beach erosion and debris. Clean-up work needs to be completed prior to welcoming guests for an enjoyable private island experience and this work is already in progress. However, since the ability to safely deploy resources for these efforts was delayed while the storm passed through The Bahamas, Half Moon Cay will not be ready for our scheduled call on September 9th. "

And then just the updated itinerary and info about pre purchased excursions being refunded, etc. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blondie419ag said:

Say what?  I'm on the same cruise, hadn't heard the itinerary change. 

That said, I'm a Margaritaville fanatic and now i'll visit three locations in 7 nights!

16 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Say what?  I'm on the same cruise, hadn't heard the itinerary change. 

That said, I'm a Margaritaville fanatic and now i'll visit three locations in 7 nights!

I got an e-mail around 1:30 today. Check your junk folder maybe? 

That's good at least! We did that once with Key West, Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios haha

When Irma passed by Jacksonville two years ago. while the downtown, Riverside, and San Marco areas flooded when the river breached its banks (for the first time that I can remember).  I don't recall their were any flooding affects on the parking lots for the cruise terminal.

I am curious why the port remained closed today.  The only thing may have been availability of personal.

• Like 1

A lot of people don't know that in Jacksonville, the cruise ship has to be able to pass under the Dames Point bridge at low tide because of the channel depth. Because of Dorian we are experiencing extra high tides, so even at low tide, it would be too high for the ship to pass under safely. The terminal parking lot is high enough that it doesn't flood. This is the reason we can't get a larger ship in Jacksonville. Maybe someday.