Christmas and New years on Regent

vino123

We are almost Platinum SSS. We sail the Caribbean most winters (January and February). We meet many Regent regulars on our winter cruises. Not just newbies. And, newbies are usually very excited about sailing on Regent. We were all newbies our first time on Regent. 

BTW, what’s wrong with it?

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

We went on our first holiday cruise this past year.  It was on the Explorer, Cape Town to Cape Town. Since we had never been on a holiday cruise we did not know what to expect. The ship was very festive and beautifully decorated! The New Years Eve party was a lot of fun. There were not many children on our cruise....at least I did not notice them.  

3 hours ago, fudgbug said:

Not many Regent regulars sail at this time of year especially to the Caribbean!

Agree and the Caribbean is the place where there are the most children during Christmas.  Note:  If anyone enjoys cruising with children - nothing wrong with that.  Some of us just prefer a more mature atmosphere.

Having just completed an Alaska cruise (on Crystal), I was reminded of just how different cruises are when you have a majority of newbies (720 newbies - including us on our cruise).  I was told by Crystal regulars that Alaska cruises - especially those that are 7 nights are not typical cruises.  

As most people know, I am on CC for newbies - not regulars.  Newbies is what all cruise lines desire to keep their customer base growing.  There are newbies on every Regent cruise that we have been on and it is great to see them.  However, they are not in the majority.  When you are new to a cruise line (as we just were), you look towards others to learn.  This is where Cruise Critic shines.  However, once onboard, some/most people want to fit in - meet others, etc.  Being luxury cruisers, we were accustomed to how things work on luxury cruise ships so it wasn't surprising (at least not too much).  But, when you are coming from a premium or mainstream cruise line, there is a tendency to act and dress as one would on those cruise lines.

The manner of dress on the Alaska cruise was shocking (and I'm not overstating this).  Warm-up suits, t-shirts and sloppy jeans at dinner.  Some passengers put their dirty plates on the floor outside of their "staterooms" which could make it very difficult for people in wheelchairs, scooters, etc. to get down the narrow hallway.  We went on this cruise knowing that it would be different so we were more accepting than we normally might be.  With the help of Crystal posters, I was able to learn "what is what" on the ship.  That was very helpful.

So, In my opinion, if you want cruise the Caribbean during Christmas, as long as you know that the cruise will not be typical and understand the differences, there should be no problem.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree and the Caribbean is the place where there are the most children during Christmas.  Note:  If anyone enjoys cruising with children - nothing wrong with that.  Some of us just prefer a more mature atmosphere.

Having just completed an Alaska cruise (on Crystal), I was reminded of just how different cruises are when you have a majority of newbies (720 newbies - including us on our cruise).  I was told by Crystal regulars that Alaska cruises - especially those that are 7 nights are not typical cruises.  

As most people know, I am on CC for newbies - not regulars.  Newbies is what all cruise lines desire to keep their customer base growing.  There are newbies on every Regent cruise that we have been on and it is great to see them.  However, they are not in the majority.  When you are new to a cruise line (as we just were), you look towards others to learn.  This is where Cruise Critic shines.  However, once onboard, some/most people want to fit in - meet others, etc.  Being luxury cruisers, we were accustomed to how things work on luxury cruise ships so it wasn't surprising (at least not too much).  But, when you are coming from a premium or mainstream cruise line, there is a tendency to act and dress as one would on those cruise lines.

The manner of dress on the Alaska cruise was shocking (and I'm not overstating this).  Warm-up suits, t-shirts and sloppy jeans at dinner.  Some passengers put their dirty plates on the floor outside of their "staterooms" which could make it very difficult for people in wheelchairs, scooters, etc. to get down the narrow hallway.  We went on this cruise knowing that it would be different so we were more accepting than we normally might be.  With the help of Crystal posters, I was able to learn "what is what" on the ship.  That was very helpful.

So, In my opinion, if you want cruise the Caribbean during Christmas, as long as you know that the cruise will not be typical and understand the differences, there should be no problem.  

Good post.  I agree with you about the Alaska cruises.  

We don’t go on Christmas Holiday Cruises. It’s too crowded at the airports, hotels, restaurants and ships. We cruise in the Caribbean in January or February. It’s delightful. 

When we went to Alaska, several times there were children aboard. Sometimes they were loud, however it’s usually not bad. We don’t pay too much attention and rather, pay attention to the usual ship activities. If one wants to go visit Alaska and cannot go early June or late August, don’t miss it on your bucket list.

Sheila

I'm on the Explorer this year for the Holiday Cruise and can report then.  My experience last year on Seabourn in the Caribbean over xmas was that there were several multi generational families, but not many small children.   The small children that were on board, were never a bother or got in the way of the experience.   I saw many more children on the Voyager this summer in the Med, but the kids club they had running really kept them busy and out of the way.  

I've also done two Silversea holiday cruises and again very few children (under 18).   All the holiday cruises I've been on, for luxury cruises at least, haven't had many young children and the kids that were on board never were a bother.   Mostly it's college age and just passed college age, that I've seen on these cruises.   As people have said before, every voyage is unique so you can never be sure what groups will be on any given cruise regardless of time of year or destination.  

This years explorer holiday cruise starts the 17th, so I don't think many young children will be on this voyage either.  At least in NY the grade schools don't close for holiday recess till 12/23.  

We have done 2 holiday cruises on Regent. One several years ago was a Panama Canal trip. There were several multigenerational family groups with young children. No problem at all. Children were kept entertained. It was nice to see everyone enjoying the festive ship atmosphere. In Dec./Jan. of this year we were on the Circumnavigation Australia cruise. There was one child for part of the cruise. I believe he was the Chief Engineer’s son. On both trips the ships were decorated beautifully. My favorite spot was anyplace near a gingerbread house because it smelled so good! 

Our poor experience with children (ages 11 - 17 - approximately) was on the Voyager on a sailing from Bali to Sydney.  These sailings rarely have a lot of children.  I'm guessing that there were under 20.  This age group is not necessarily into doing "kids stuff". The teenagers had nothing whatsoever to do.  They also had nowhere to hang out so they hung out on the stairs for the first couple of days and then seemed to join together (like a small gang) and were disruptive to many passengers (we have a Seven Seas Aft suite so we were far away from them but did see them when we were out and about.  

Note:  Unless something has changed in the last five years, Regent does not have Mariners Club during the holidays.  This makes sense since families want to be together.

My point is that if you do not mind sharing the ship with large family groups and possibly up to 100 children, there is no problem.  If you are sailing to Asia, South America or Africa, there will likely be few children.  However, if you hope to not have many children and want to sail at Christmas, you do not really know what the mix of passengers will be.

52 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

My point is that if you do not mind sharing the ship with large family groups and possibly up to 100 children

When have you ever seen 100 children on a Regent cruise over Christmas/New Year? which ship was this on? and what itinerary?

I am intrigued

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

When have you ever seen 100 children on a Regent cruise over Christmas/New Year? which ship was this on? and what itinerary?

I am intrigued

It was reported on CC.  In the Caribbean.  And, although not during holidays, there have been 100 children on Regent in Alaska as recently as the summer.  

I’m following this with interest as I’m booked on the 2020 Grand Cape Horn Adventure: 68 days on the Mariner, departing Los Angeles on October 29, 2020, and arriving in Miami on January 5, 2021.

This means I’ll get to celebrate Halloween, US Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years while onboard.  So i’m hoping for some high-quality festivities!

(I get to celebrate my next ”big” birthday during the 2021 Grand Arctic cruise!)

Lana (at 35,000 ft, on way home from 50-year high school reunion in Kansas City)  😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

My point is that if you do not mind sharing the ship with large family groups and possibly up to 100 children, there is no problem.

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

It was reported on CC.  In the Caribbean.

So your generalised observation was simply based on hearsay from one cruise in the Caribbean; useful to know.

But, of course, the OP is not sailing in the Caribbean on their Christmas/New year cruise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

(we have a Seven Seas Aft suite so we were far away from them but did see them when we were out and about.  

It seems that you made a wise pick with your cabin choice so that you were far, far away from them.

6 hours ago, flossie009 said:

So your generalised observation was simply based on hearsay from one cruise in the Caribbean; useful to know.

But, of course, the OP is not sailing in the Caribbean on their Christmas/New year cruise.

If you wish to call my statement "heresay" then I suppose that half of what is on Cruise Critic is heresy since this is where I learned about it.

The TS (Thread Starter) did not mention where they were sailing to in post #1 - only that they were on the Navigator.  So perhaps posters that mentioned a different ship should not have posted because the TS is going on the Navigator?  

My LW and I did the post Christmas through New Years Cruise on Voyager this last year in the Caribbean.

We had enough children onboard that it was noticeable but not so many that is was a burden. Most times...

Overall, I am more critical of the parents who lose connection with their children and allowed them to intermingle [read:Disturb] with other guests in Prime 7 or Chartreuse during obviously special dinners.  The crew was overly apologetic while the grownups kept talking and wining while the rest of the patrons ground their teeth and tried not to whine...

We're considering a Caribbean cruise on Splendor over the holiday period in 2021 and I notice that on both Christmas Day and NYE that the ship is in port. I've only done a holiday cruise once on Crystal and Christmas Day was a  sea day and NYE we were only in port until 6.00pm. Having everyone on board for both these special days added to the ambience on the ship. I'm wondering how this affects things on Regent when people can be off the ship and on NYE as late as 11.00pm? Also given that Christmas Day is in port does that mean no special lunch?

4 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

We're considering a Caribbean cruise on Splendor over the holiday period in 2021 and I notice that on both Christmas Day and NYE that the ship is in port. I've only done a holiday cruise once on Crystal and Christmas Day was a  sea day and NYE we were only in port until 6.00pm. Having everyone on board for both these special days added to the ambience on the ship. I'm wondering how this affects things on Regent when people can be off the ship and on NYE as late as 11.00pm? Also given that Christmas Day is in port does that mean no special lunch?

Can't speak for Christmas day but we were in port on New Year's eve in Shanghai. Did an evening excursion/theater preformance, and then went back to the ship for the party. I think most people were on board.