My time dining,

MONKEY20

We are doing my time dinning for the first time on Explorer OTS.  We prefer large tables. Do most people on my time booked tables in advance or just turn up when they are ready. 

Is there normally a wait for large tables ?

Ian

21 minutes ago, MONKEY20 said:

We are doing my time dinning for the first time on Explorer OTS.  We prefer large tables. Do most people on my time booked tables in advance or just turn up when they are ready. 

Ian

There will likely be a wait if you want to sit at a a large table with others.  My Time generally seats your party by itself.

I have seen some large tables with only a couple of people sitting there as I am guessing they asked to be seated with others and no others arriving after them asked for the same.  The times I have seen the tables full seemed to be when groups were traveling together.

I think you would have a better chance of having others at your table would be with fixed seating.  Most MTD diners prefer to sit with the people with whom they are sailing and that's all.  Good luck.

Hello @MONKEY20... it’s been a few years!!   Legend 2007...?

When I travel solo I sit at a large shared table.  When I was on Explorer in May, it seems that the same people usually turned up at the same time so we were generally seated together. 

Edited by little britain

2 hours ago, MONKEY20 said:

Ian

Another option is to check with your Roll Call thread for anyone who wants to share a table.

• Like 1

With MTD, you are likely to eat by yourself.  It works like a land-based restaurant.....you are seated with only your own party.  Do not count on a large table.  That is why we don't do MTD...we enjoy tablemates...sounds like you do, too!  Most MTDer's don't want company.

• Clarea changed the title to My time dining,

The majority of tables for MTD are for individual parties. We prefer to show up when we want, eat at our own pace (sometimes a quick bite to get to a show, sometimes a long, leisurely dinner) at our own table. I don't think that we have ever been asked if we wanted a shared table. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The majority of tables for MTD are for individual parties.

if you want a shared table, pick traditional dining.  most in "my time" want to get in and get out with the group they are with and not be bothered with other people.  I know I go against some on these forums but the same applies to big / large groups if you want to dine that way, do traditional dinning time and leave the my time to smaller groups or families ie ~ 6 or less as that is normal table sizing

6 minutes ago, dancingfish said:

Can you explain Traditional dining a bit more? Does the ship choose your time or do you?  I thought with my time dining I still had to "reserve" a time?

Traditional dining has two fixed times.  Used to be almost univerally 6pm and 8:30pm, but in recent years those times are getting earlier, like 5:30pm and 8pm.  Some ships may even be earlier.  You pick the time, and you are stuck with it, your tablemates, and your wait staff for the entire cruise.

You do not have to reserve a time for My Time.  The ship would love for you to reserve a standing time for the entire cruise, because it makes it easier for them to plan, but it is not required.

15 minutes ago, dancingfish said:

Clarea-- Too many choices now!! haha- I can see where both choices would be great! We have cruised to Alaska before and totally loved having the same tablemates each night. But I also know I want to see shows etc. Do you know if they typically do a late showing? 

Most nights there are two performances of the show, times to be convenient for the two traditional dining times.