Damage from Hurricane

Caroldoll

Given the loss of life and the fact that these folks have to live with the damage 24/7 - and year after year -  I'm afraid a bit of debris on the beaches would not put me off.  The islands derive a great deal of income from tourists and they need that.  Go anyway and contribute positively to the island economy.  Perhaps there would be an opportunity to volunteer or otherwise contribute if the beaches are not tidy enough for you?  There is bound to be a local charity would would love to have a few hours of your time.

• Like 3

I am not quite sure why you are asking now about a cruise next May.  There are still 3 months left of Hurricane season this year, and, unfortunately, anything can still happen.  As stated above the islands depend on tourism, as long as the ship docks at the various islands, just enjoy their hospitality and whatever they can offer.  They will do there utmost to treat you well

• Like 1

Our EDGE cruise was one of the first of  X  back to Tortola.  What a great welcome were given !    We had a lovely X excursion that included an island tour ( some very destroyed areas..so sad ), time at the beach, super lunch and shopping.  Then we spent  more time and money at the pier area where many of the stores are satellites of ones that were in Roadtown.   Lots of work to be done, but did not impact our enjoyment or the enthusiam of our hosts.!  They need cruisers.

Same for St Maarten....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Thanks all.  That was my worry.  There was a lot of damage and this couldn't have made it better.   Afraid a lot of beaches will be unkempt, etc.  

Firstly - this is only the start of the hurricane season so anything could happen. Hopefully not but they are getting more extreme.

Secondly, given the loss of life and devastation you are seriously worried about unkempt beaches ???

Someone needs a major reality check!

Support the islands by visiting and providing income!

• Like 2

Just got back from san juan , tortola, st Thomas and freeport (to deliver rescue supplies only).  we were on equinox the week of the storm.  all islands except Bahamas, seemed ok although a lot of the old hurricane damage is still visible.  Beaches were fine and everything opened.

Thoughts and  prayers to all in the Bahamas

Thanks Celebrity for helping out!

• Like 3

Thanks for the update. Good to hear this..sad for the Bahamas

Where did you dock on St Thomas?

I think we should  not be so tough on the OP...It's  valid  to inquire about conditions after a big storm,. After the last storm  there were many questions about San Juan conditions...the port, airpirt, hotels, taxi services etc. ( we usually do nit get off the ship  due to the short stop there)    Also St Maarten.,,esp about looting and safety.  ( We were  fine there in  January)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Thanks for the update. Good to hear this..sad for the Bahamas

Where did you dock on St Thomas?

I think we should  not be so tough on the OP...It's  valid  to inquire about conditions after a big storm,. After the last storm  there were many questions about San Juan conditions...the port, airpirt, hotels, taxi services etc. ( we usually do nit get off the ship  due to the short stop there)    Also St Maarten.,,esp about looting and safety.  ( We were  fine there in  January)

Last week we docked in Crowne Bay. It's was way too far for us to walk so we took the open air taxis (and I use the word taxi loosely, no suspension and bad roads). It was $4 p.p. each way. St. Thomas is one huge jewelry market, I've never seen so many jewelry stores in such a small area.

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Last week we docked in Crowne Bay. It's was way too far for us to walk so we took the open air taxis (and I use the word taxi loosely, no suspension and bad roads). It was $4 p.p. each way. St. Thomas is one huge jewelry market, I've never seen so many jewelry stores in such a small area.

We are disappointed they now dock at Crown Bay.  We also had a bad driver going into the  port town.

We hope to take a ferry to  a beach nearby Crown Bay pier maybe , Water Island or  go on a close by excursion.