New steakhouse menu - Wagyu beef cut?

jdemps

I asked about it when I went to the Steakhouse on my last cruise.  Essentially, the waitress told me to not order it, that the chef really didn't think it was a good cut of meat and didn't like to make it.  I went with the filet instead.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:49 PM, coevan said:

You are talking about the cut on Carnival. A N.Y. or Ribeye Wagyu would blow your mind, not american Wagyu, not the same. 

On 9/10/2019 at 8:29 PM, coevan said:

rephrase, flat iron was tough, a Wagyu Ribeye, N.Y. or Filet is to die for. 

Since this was a question about the Carnival Steakhouse wagyu cut, there's nothing to die for here. Forget the Carnival wagyu, I'd like toforget I ordered it once anyway. 

Rib eye, filet, rack of lamb are the best selections in any of the 10 different Carnival Steakhouses I've eaten in over the years. : 5 Conquest ships multiple times each, 3 Dream ships a few times, and 2 Vista class}.

Now let's go to Peter Luger or Keen's.

• Like 1

The whole reason to enjoy Wagyu, or Kobe, or any other luxury fatty beef.....is for the fat. Getting something like a flat iron is not going to give you the full picture. I would even argue against ordering a filet for the same reason. Additionally, it may come from “Wagyu” offspring raised in the US, but it ain’t the real deal. 

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

That's not how it works. American Wagyu is raised in America. Japanese Wagyu, including DNA are banned from leaving Japan

My mistake, thank you. You’re a chef correct? I graduated from culinary school and worked in food service for quite some time.... years ago haha. I do more eating than cooking now, and back then, Wagyu wasn’t a word in the US.... it was all about Kobe at the time. Thanks for the education!

• Like 1

That looks like a flat iron to me. My hubby is a lobbyist for agricultural interests with a specialty in bovine matters. I've worked in Ag sales for years so even though I'm not a chef or butcher, I think I'm qualified to make that determination.

There is something to the breeds when it comes to the difference between a dairy or a beef breed but imo a lot of the differences within the dairy and beef subsets just depend on how you treat your animal. Kobe and Wagyu are more about the process, feed and living conditions than anything else. If you take  Wagyu steer and feed him and raise him like an Angus (or whatever breed you think of when you think meat) there isn't going to be much difference. 

I've had Wagyu a few times and Kobe many times and I think they are best as a tartare or cut very thin and barely kissed by heat. Kobe burgers can be good but it seems like an expensive exercise imo.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, coevan said:

That's not how it works. American Wagyu is raised in America. Japanese Wagyu, including DNA are banned from leaving Japan

Yes, that is true, but lots of DNA left Japan when it was allowing it.  That's how we got Wagyu here.  We raise Wagyu and our genetics from the first Wagyu cattle allowed to come to the US from Japan between 1976 and 1997.  Most of your legitimate Wagyu producers in the United States based their programs on those genetics and still use them in their programs today.  There is most definitely good Wagyu beef in the US.

Edited by KansasBeachLover
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Major_Holmes said:

Australian Wagyu (like Carnival reps) is scored on a MBS scale of 1-10.  My flat iron Wagyu on Magic MIGHT have been a MBS 4. FAR from Japans famous A-5. Please take heed and order something else! Just my 2 cents.

My guess is that they are doing like a lot of producers here in the US and are selling Angus/Wagyu or insert any American cattle/Wagyu as Wagyu.  Which I don't believe should be allowed.  It's what they are calling "American Kobe" or "American Wagyu".  I don't agree with that concept.

My DH and I ate at the steak house on the Miracle last week and he ordered the filet and I the Wagyu.  I thought mine had a better flavor than his filet, but it was not as tender as the filet.  We both chose the same seasoning.  Mac and cheese is yummy which I had never tried.  

Everything we ate was excellent, saw a guy ask for his steak to be cooked more. I assume if you don't eat more than a bite or two, you could order another entree as long as you have another hour. 🙄 

Do you return your meals at your home town restaurants? 

I cant order Wagyu at home! Cant afford it! I live near Atlanta and Wagyu is $34 an oz at restaurants here. If I ordered the 8oz for $272 I would absolutely send it back if not perfect!

Edited by Major_Holmes
misspelled

16 minutes ago, Major_Holmes said:

I cant order Wagyu at home! Cant afford it! I live near Atlanta and Wagyu is $34 an oz at restaurants here. If I ordered the 8oz for $272 I would absolutely send it back if not perfect!

not American Wagyu, only about $28 a pound. You are talking about Japanese, not what this thread is about. 

On 10/1/2019 at 8:23 PM, coevan said:

not American Wagyu, only about $28 a pound. You are talking about Japanese, not what this thread is about. 

Well, it's not like there is a set price for Wagyu that is adhered to all over the country.  You can probably buy it for $28 per pound but I'm sure you can pay a lot more.  Locally, it's $40 per pound.