Beach near Naples Port?

MCazer

We have been to Naples a few years ago, did Pompei, Amalfi Coast, Sorrento. And taking our adult children next year. So don’t want to repeat it this time.

this will also be the earliest we will be in Italy having done mid October cruising.

we were hoping to possible take a nice beach day, and take a dip (even if it is a little cold) and weather permitting. We will be in Naples on October 2nd.

anyone know of a good place to go? 

Oh my!  We will also wait and see if anyone bites on the OP's intriguing question.  Being somewhat familiar with the area (and Italy) there is no beach (at least a beach by Italian standards) where I would consider swimming...in this part of Italy.  In the USA we have lots of wonderful beaches and some of them are actually blessed with pretty clean water (we love Kiawah, SC).  Italy does have plenty of beach areas, but the area around the Bay of Naples would not be high on my list.

To the OP I say, continue to do your research and prove me wrong.  And if you do, please post all the info hear and perhaps we will also visit that beach :).  DW and I love traveling in Italy (will be there again next month) but have never given any thought to a beach day near Naples.  The good news is that there are so many day trip options from Naples.  You could do something a bit different (for cruisers) and take a ferry to Procida or Ischia.  Ischia actually does have some beaches (small by USA standards) and the water is pretty clean.

Hank

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 9:08 PM, MCazer said:

We have been to Naples a few years ago, did Pompei, Amalfi Coast, Sorrento. And taking our adult children next year. So don’t want to repeat it this time.

Have your adult children been before?  Perhaps they would like to visit Pompeii or Positano or you all may enjoy a visit to Herculaneum and then a vineyard.  Even if there was a beach in the area I don't think I would want to go into the water!

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Have your adult children been before?  Perhaps they would like to visit Pompeii or Positano or you all may enjoy a visit to Herculaneum and then a vineyard.  Even if there was a beach in the area I don't think I would want to go into the water!

This trip is just my husband and myself. We are taking our children next year, (they have only been to Baltic area), and we will bring them to Pompei, so we don’t really want to do anything similar this trip.

would love to take a swim if possible, as this is really the southernmost port that we do not have something scheduled in, and hope it will be the warmest water, beach opportunity this year.

Edited by MCazer

I guess we will really play it by ear that day weather wise. 

If if not a good beach day I think Herculaneum might be our other choice. Close by, and looks to be extremely interesting and yet a little different than Pompei 

7 hours ago, MCazer said:

I guess we will really play it by ear that day weather wise. 

If if not a good beach day I think Herculaneum might be our other choice. Close by, and looks to be extremely interesting and yet a little different than Pompei 

1/2 day at Herculaneum followed by a few hours at the National Archeologic Museum (back in Naples) followed by a walk back to the ship makes a great day.  The museum features a lot of exhibits from both Pompeii and Herculaneum.  And I agree that Herculaneum is different from Pompeii and warrants a visit on its own.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

I agree to others, that the Bay of Naples does not offer the water quality to swim.

There is however an alternative aside from Ischia: the beaches around Cuma and Torregaveta across the peninsula of Miseno to the west of Naples. Easy to reach with the Ferrovia Cumana, which has its western railhead at Torregaveta virtually on the beach, 35 minutes from Naples-Montesanto station in the city centre.

If the beach does not fill your day (might well happen in October), the area has some archeology and geology with the

* excavations of the roman town of Cumae,

* Capo Miseno, former port of the roman fleet

* Baiae, spa from roman times

* Solfatara, active sulphur emitting crater

and is also a weekend destination for the Neapolitans, so some infrastructure for a meal away from the tourist floods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi MCazer, we will also be in Naples 2nd October and read many negative reviews about the city.  However after much research we are quite looking forward to our day. We are going to take the train to Herculaneum first then take a metro from the station to Museo. From there we will make our way back to the port stopping off to see some of the sites that are mentioned on citysavvy/Naples.  We will stop for pizza on the way. 

Hi! I also will be in Naples in the beginning of October! I also dream of a nice swim! I know it won’t be hot but that’s OK with us. We don’t plan to spend more than a hour on a beach .. probably even less. Ischia  sounds good for me. Thank you so much for the idea! After that we plan to visit Herculaneum and/or Pompeii and Archeological Museum.  It will be my first visit to Naples.

Jess!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

Hi! I also will be in Naples in the beginning of October! I also dream of a nice swim! I know it won’t be hot but that’s OK with us. We don’t plan to spend more than a hour on a beach .. probably even less. Ischia  sounds good for me. Thank you so much for the idea! After that we plan to visit Herculaneum and/or Pompeii and Archeological Museum.  It will be my first visit to Naples.

Jess!

Just be aware that the ferry ride from Naples to Ischia is a minimum of 1 hour and ferries do not run constantly. Seems like you'd have to get a pretty early start to Ischia if you plan on only doing a partial day there -- and early isn't going to be the best time to be at the beach in October!  Have a look at the schedule here:  https://www.naplesbayferry.com/en/t/napoli/ischia  (You can reverse the directions at top to see returns from Ischia.) You'll want to avoid the slow ferries and be sure you are headed to Molo Beverello in Naples.

Also I'd suggest limiting yourself to one other activity. Herculaneum is closer to Naples than Pompeii and smaller. How are you planning to get there?

cruisemom42! thank you so much! I actually didn’t understand ferry ride to Ischia is a minimum of 1 hour. We have only one day in Naples…. Shall I skip this idea? Are there any other beaches closer to Naples? Are there any beaches near Herculaneum?

I just started to plan my day in Naples …. I was going to take a train to Herculaneum.  Will it be possible to user Uber?  Thank you so much for the help! Jess.

Edited by CrazyJess
misprint
  • Like 1

Jess, if it's your first visit there, I would skip going to the beach. I know it sounds tempting but really the beaches close by are not worth it on a limited schedule, with so many other options.

You could easily combine Herculaneum and the Archaeological Museum in a day. Taking the train to Herculaneum is probably the best option time- and money-wise. Uber in Italy is not like many other places, you would pay the same or more as for a taxi. 

The Circumvesuviana train is an old commuter train (think in terms of a city subway) -- no assigned seating, crowded, etc. You can take a tram that departs from the busy street just outside the port to the train station (Porta Nolana), then take the train (departs about every half hour or so) headed toward Sorrento. Your stop is Ercolano Scavi; it's about 20 minutes -- so it's not too terrible if you have to stand. However, if you get on at the Porta Nolana station, that's where the train originates, so you are more likely to grab a seat....

When you get off in Ercolano, just head downhill walking on the major street from the station and you'll literally run into the archaeological park in about 7-10 minutes. There are a few small signs to show you're headed the right way, but it's very easy to find.

• Like 1

Thank all for the info! Cruisemom42, thank you so much for the detailed and very useful replay! I will think about skipping the beach. Actually I’m just crazy about beaches, swimming, sunbathing and so on… but probably you are right. I can do it later on…
Thank you for the detailed explanations about trains and trams. Very useful!  Are there any other museums or sights beside of  Herculaneum and the Archaeological Museum we shall visit? I know about famous pizza and no doubts we will try it. Anything else?
Thank you so much in advance!
Jess

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

One more question. Are there really a lot of pickpockets? I mean the criminal situation in general. Or is it the same like in all other big cities? Is it just a myth? Shall I take any particular precautions in  Naples or other Italian ports?  

I am from NY as well, and I know we tend to walk around with a heightened sense of awareness that may not always be the case if you are from a different state.

that being said, I would google the term “pickpocket in Italy” and look at the videos.  They definitely give you an idea of what to look out for.

Pickpocketing is a much larger problem in Europe than in New York.  The practitioners in Europe are very good, they work at developing a skill level that lets them get away with it and they work in groups, increasing the odds of getting away.  Our thieves in the States tend to be lazy; they don't waste time developing skills, they are more likely to use brute force and/or weapons to achieve their goals.

1.    Thank you for the idea! I’ve googled “pickpockets in Italy” and among others found a topic on TA about pickpockets, muggers and thieves.  I'm not scared…. But it always better to know such things in advance and take precautions. Thank you!

4 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

1.    Thank you for the idea! I’ve googled “pickpockets in Italy” and among others found a topic on TA about pickpockets, muggers and thieves.  I'm not scared…. But it always better to know such things in advance and take precautions. Thank you!

I own quite a bit of Scottevest clothing. Especially their vests. I like their Featherweight vest. Lots of inside pockets.  My husband swears by their pants as well.  Makes me feel much safer with my money and credit cards inside the vest than an outside pocket.

i also carry a cross chest bag made by Travelon. It has little clips to hold zippers closed and wire through the strap and cannot be sliced through easily, and slash resistant material.

Great! Thank you MCazer!!! My DH has such a vest. So we will take it with us. Thank you for the idea!

I’ve already bought a nice small cross chest bag for myself. It’s just enough for two passports, credit cards and some cash. It’s really small so I wear it  under t shirt or a pullover… I can’t wait! So excited!!!