Ocean Bar

That will vary a great deal, depending on the class of ship. Some of the older ships have a combo playing dance music before dinner, then again a few sets after 8:00 PM. Other ships may have a piano player in the evening. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 78232 said:

If it makes a difference, I was thinking of Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam.

IIRC, those will have a piano player only in the Ocean Bar after dinner. They may be quiet at cocktail time. 

59 minutes ago, RuthC said:

That will vary a great deal, depending on the class of ship. Some of the older ships have a combo playing dance music before dinner, then again a few sets after 8:00 PM. Other ships may have a piano player in the evening. 

Sadly, that's just on the smallest (and oldest) ships, the R and S class.

I recall a piano player (not very good) in the Ocean Bar at cocktail time on the K'dam. Nice stage for musicians, little dance floor, perfect setting for a combo, but no. 

• Like 2

We purposely chose the smaller and older Veendam for our annual Dec. R & R cruise.  The dance music in the Ocean Bar during cocktail hour and after dinner seems to bring us back every time.  Fewer and fewer HAL ships seem to provide our type entertainment in these time slots.  Don’t get me wrong!  We enjoy all classes of the ships for a variety of reasons relating to each.   BUT.....we like the combos that play music in the Ocean Bar best.  On some of our cruises we have been without anything in particular to do between 7 & 8 PM except have cocktails on our veranda.  We can do that on our balcony at home.  😉  We love the personal attention we get from the crew on the Veendam.  They are always a happy bunch and that in itself has brought us back to her several times.

• Like 2

A jazz trio in the Ocean Bar is something we miss on the larger ships. Nice for quiet cocktails, maybe a little dancing even if you aren't the best dancer. And my two left feet agree with me on this. Definitely a plus to the older ships.

Zaandam this spring had a solo piano player during the dinner hours. He was good; but no one danced. It was cocktail time. Later - 8:45 or so (right after the first show in the lounge) a musical trio plus vocalist did about three 45-minute sets. More dancing then.

It used to be the Neptunes (OMG - remember them?). Some trios were better than others. Some would grant requests and others looked at you like nutso. I don't know who makes the decisions on those things. Consistency should be the rule. It isn't.

Ocean Bar will always be a better spot for us rather the "The Mix" or "The Crow's Nest" venues. Once, several years ago, when we boarded and sat in the Ocean Bar as we sailed away, a bar server came up and said, "You want you usuals?" Oh my, Mark remembered us before we had a chance to really see him. One of the great things about HAL voyages!

Jim

3 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

Zaandam this spring had a solo piano player during the dinner hours. He was good; but no one danced. It was cocktail time. Later - 8:45 or so (right after the first show in the lounge) a musical trio plus vocalist did about three 45-minute sets. More dancing then.

It used to be the Neptunes (OMG - remember them?). Some trios were better than others. Some would grant requests and others looked at you like nutso. I don't know who makes the decisions on those things. Consistency should be the rule. It isn't.

Ocean Bar will always be a better spot for us rather the "The Mix" or "The Crow's Nest" venues. Once, several years ago, when we boarded and sat in the Ocean Bar as we sailed away, a bar server came up and said, "You want you usuals?" Oh my, Mark remembered us before we had a chance to really see him. One of the great things about HAL voyages!

Jim

I remember the Neptunes! Every group I encountered was excellent. Whether it was a jazz set or a dance-music set they were great to listen to. 

It's a conundrum for me when I book a HAL cruise. I love the Vistas--balconies are less expensive and the hydropool is my favorite indulgence. But the R and S ships still have classy low-key entertainment offerings. 

We are just off the Zaandam doing the Montreal to Boston cruise.  The Ocean Bar had a very good combo, now called the "Ocean Quartet" instead of the Neptunes.  They are not a pick-up group, but an actual group named "C'est si Bon" from Buenos Aires, so they are not just sight-reading.  Piano, electric bass, drums, and lady singer/clarinet.  Some instrumentals and vocals, a mix of American songbook - Latin - Brazilian - French.  Most days they did 45 minute sets at 6:30, 8, 9, and 10.  One night off each week.  There were few dancers, but the Ocean Bar was generally full with listeners.

The Adagio was a duo - piano and violin, and seemed good, well attended.  The Piano Bar was Jeff Warren with an extensive repertoire and interesting patter.  He kept the Mix Bar and surrounding hallways packed to overflowing.