Making Future Cruise Reservations While Onboard....?

WoodstockGirl

Hello Friends,

I know this must be well addressed here in another posting(s), but are there distinct advantages or perks to booking a future cruise while on a cruise? Not making a future cruise deposit, which we always do, but actually booking our future cruise of choice.

And... yes... we do have a TA we normally use.  I've gathered from reading here that I can transfer the booking to her....?

Thank You!

Edited by WoodstockGirl

17 minutes ago, WoodstockGirl said:

Hello Friends,

I know this must be well addressed here in another posting(s), but are there distinct advantages or perks to booking a future cruise while on a cruise? Not making a future cruise deposit, which we always do, but actually booking our future cruise of choice.

And... yes... we do have a TA we normally use.  I've gathered from reading here that I can transfer the booking to her....?

Thank You!

I disagree and generally there isn't anything extra at all.  The added OBC is coming from a purchase and immediate application of a FCD.  The Future Cruise Consultant (FCC) can add your TA to the booking.  Other than being able to discuss a voyage one-on-one with a generally nice and knowledgeable person, there is no monetary advantage.  UNLESS, you hit a jackpot and they happen to have a rare promotion on to up the normal OBC for purchasing a FCD and immediately booking.

Normally we just buy a couple of Future Cruise Deposits and book later through TA.  Have seen a few special promotions over the years for actually booking onboard but it has been rare.  And now you can just do it through the Princess at Sea website.  Don't even have to fill out a form.

On our cruise last month they were offering double the onboard credit for buying and using FCD--so if you would normally get $100 credit when using the FCD you would get $200, for $300 you would get $600.  They would also transfer the booking to the TA of choice.   There were a lot of people taking advantage of the offer.

• Like 2

Just now, Jezabel2924 said:

On our cruise last month they were offering double the onboard credit for buying and using FCD--so if you would normally get $100 credit when using the FCD you would get $200, for $300 you would get $600.  They would also transfer the booking to the TA of choice.   There were a lot of people taking advantage of the offer.

Yes this was the offer on the Star Princess last week in Alaska.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:38 AM, WoodstockGirl said:

Hello Friends,

Thank You!

Never! We just buy FCD's and book when we get home.

A TA can offer anything the FCC can.  

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Agree completely... and quite often the TA can offer MORE than the FCC... sometimes significantly more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I have seen them offer double OBC for the FCD if you book onboard for a specific itinerary that must be slow such as the Caribbean (maybe they even just offer it for anything but the cruises I have been on it has been for bookings in a specific location or time period). This is above what your TA gives you.

I have seen this multiple times.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have seen them offer double OBC for the FCD if you book onboard for a specific itinerary that must be slow such as the Caribbean (maybe they even just offer it for anything but the cruises I have been on it has been for bookings in a specific location or time period). This is above what your TA gives you.

Thats great. I don’t waste my valuable cruise time trying to book an offer onboard that is selectively applied and rarely offered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thats great. I don’t waste my valuable cruise time trying to book an offer onboard that is selectively applied and rarely offered.

I haven't done it as it always seems to be the Caribbean when I am onboard and I don't want to go there. But I have seen it multiple times.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jezabel2924 said:

At times I have seen some promos similar to the above. Generally the offer is for specific cruises. You just have to look. There is no ongoing extra monetary benefits for booking on board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

This is what we received and it was a factor in booking our next cruise while we were on-board. We also did it on a sea day, so it didn't feel like wasting time.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:58 AM, steelers36 said:

I disagree and generally there isn't anything extra at all.  The added OBC is coming from a purchase and immediate application of a FCD.  The Future Cruise Consultant (FCC) can add your TA to the booking.  Other than being able to discuss a voyage one-on-one with a generally nice and knowledgeable person, there is no monetary advantage.  UNLESS, you hit a jackpot and they happen to have a rare promotion on to up the normal OBC for purchasing a FCD and immediately booking.

We recently (10 days ago) ran into just this type of situation.  We normally keep a couple of Future Cruise Credits which we use when we later book cruises (through various favored cruise agencies).  However, on our most recent cruise Princess had a promotion which doubled the usual OBC if one booked specific cruises while aboard.  So we did book a rather expensive cruise (while aboard) which got us a $1000 OBC from Princess (double the usual $500) not to mention a very low $100 deposit on the booking.  Once we returned home we transferred the booking to one of our favorite cruise agencies who gave us an additional $1800 in OBCs.   So the "monetary advantage" (to use your words) was the extra $500 in OBCs from Princess which only could be obtained by doing the booking onboard.

Hank

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We recently (10 days ago) ran into just this type of situation.  We normally keep a couple of Future Cruise Credits which we use when we later book cruises (through various favored cruise agencies).  However, on our most recent cruise Princess had a promotion which doubled the usual OBC if one booked specific cruises while aboard.  So we did book a rather expensive cruise (while aboard) which got us a $1000 OBC from Princess (double the usual $500) not to mention a very low $100 deposit on the booking.  Once we returned home we transferred the booking to one of our favorite cruise agencies who gave us an additional $1800 in OBCs.   So the "monetary advantage" (to use your words) was the extra $500 in OBCs from Princess which only could be obtained by doing the booking onboard.

Hank

Correct.  You happened on a special promotion and it happened to fit a cruise you were interested in.  That's amazing and lucky.  But buying a FCD and expecting to get a bonus for a cruise you might want in future isn't a guarantee, right?  For sure I am going to make inquiries on future cruises with the FCC to see if any bonuses are on offer because you never know I might get a fit!!

Edited by steelers36

Just now, steelers36 said:

Correct.  You happened on a special promotion and it happened to fit a cruise you were interested in.  That's amazing and lucky.  But buying a FCD and expecting to get a bonus for a cruise you might want in future isn't a guarantee, right?  For sure I am going to make inquiries on future cruises with the FCC to see if any bonuses are on offer because you never know it might get a fit!!

There is often a sign up or a notice that goes out.

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Had I booked the cruise you speak of I would have also transferred it to my TA and received all that OBC that the TA provides as a cash discount right off the top of the cruise. No playing the OBC games for us.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Thanks - I have never seen a notice or a sign.  Maybe I have not been on the right cruise.  OR, maybe I have interpreted the notice (aka advertising) to be simply indicating I earn OBC for booking, which is really just the OBC from a FCD.  I will have to pay more attention as I don't recall seeing a promotion for EXTRA OBC. 

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Had I booked the cruise you speak of I would have also transferred it to my TA and received all that OBC that the TA provides as a cash discount right off the top of the cruise. No playing the OBC games for us.  

I prefer cash discount off cruise fare as well.  We usually book our own excursions and bring own wine and drink lightly, so I am never looking to try and spend a lot of OBC.  (Of course, perhaps the poster's OBC was refundable).

6 hours ago, Coral said:

. But I have seen it multiple times.

6 hours ago, Coral said:

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

Great!

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

Multiple times I have never seen it.  🤔

Just now, steelers36 said:

Thanks - I have never seen a notice or a sign.  Maybe I have not been on the right cruise.  OR, maybe I have interpreted the notice (aka advertising) to be simply indicating I earn OBC for booking, which is really just the OBC from a FCD.  I will have to pay more attention as I don't recall seeing a promotion for EXTRA OBC. 

The double credit promo was running on the TV during the cruise.

12 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Normally I would agree with you and we often do the same :).  But there are exceptions to every rule.  In this case, when doing the math, we would have actually lost money by changing the reservation to the lower/discounted rate.  This happened because of the extra OBCs (double the normal amount) from Princess.  In addition, by going to the lower price our $100 refundable deposit would have turned into a much higher deposit (non-refundable if we wanted the lowest price).  

But this reservation will certainly bear watching (it is more then a year in advance) and I might convert it to a lower price (giving up some OBCs) in the future.  The particular cruise is an exotic itinerary for Princess and is somewhat overpriced for a Princess voyage.  The question is whether the unusual itinerary will cause a lot of bookings (which will keep the price high) or result in lower bookings and later price drops.  At this point, more then a year out, most of the mini-suites are already booked.    

As to the "OBC games" I don't care if I get it off the top or at the back-end (OBCs) but tend to go with whichever gives me the best overall financial deal.  In this case, even though the OBCs are substantial (over $3000) they would all be eaten up during the cruise.  As I said, in this case taking the OBCs actually results in the best pricing...but only time will tell if a better deal comes along :).

Hank

• Like 1