Is the Holland America Cruise ship Veendam

TickleKat1

3 minutes ago, TickleKat1 said:

I’m looking for other cruisers views on the Holland America Cruise line ship... Veendam. Is it a good ship, bad ship, ok ship, no opinion?

It is one of the smaller HAL ships.  We have sailed it a couple times and it has the typical HAL feel that is more traditional cruise ship than the newer ships.  The only downer is that the aft pool was replaced with several hot tubs but it you cruising in the cold weather it really does not matter.  We would sail on her again as long as it was not to the warm climates.

I agree with the previous poster.  We just returned from 67 days on the Veendam and had a great cruise.  The ship was in good condition.  There was new carpet throughout the ship along with new furniture in the Ocean Bar, Crow’s Nest, Lido Marketplace, and Library giving the ship a bright,  clean feel.

We have sailed on her several times and would not hesitate to sail on here again.  We like the size and atmosphere on the smaller HAL ships.

As with all older ships, no matter the cruise line, you need to be aware that some mechanical parts will need preventive maintenance and that things can break.  The ship personnel do  grant job keeping her in good working order.

I think you will enjoy the Veendam.

• Like 2

We have sailed the different class size of HAL ships and really like the small, intimate feeling of the Veendam.  We have sailed her in both cooler and warmer climates.  We love the Ocean Bar and the trio that have played there, enjoying meeting up with other cruisers we have met for before dinner drinks and some dancing.  It gives the feel of cruising in earlier times.  The staff (as all HAL staff we have encountered) is skillful in their jobs,  friendly, and help to make the cruise exceptional.  We look forward to being on her again.  

Veendam is probably the worst designed ship in the fleet. The conversion to lanai cabins took away a lot of unreserved promenade deck chairs. Adding cabins and eliminating the aft pool added capacity without increasing public space. We had two great cruises on her.

14 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

The only downer is that the aft pool was replaced with several hot tubs but it you cruising in the cold weather it really does not matter. 

(bolding added) 
It sure does matter if you want to sit back there, in a relatively sheltered area and watch the scenery! 
I sailed the Veendam on one of my Antarctica cruises. In their infinite wisdom (?) HAL had brought in all the loungers on Lower Promenade, making it impossible to sit out there and enjoy the passing scenery and watch the penguins swimming by. The Lido aft was the next best place, but it was impossible to see anything if you chose to sit in the covered area. You had to go out past the hot tubs, which did make it less comfortable. And you had to drag a chair from closer to the bar area, too!