Cost of Glass Class in pre-cruise planner

mysparky

I'll be sailing on Equinox in November and I was somewhat interested in trying to sign up for the glass class in advance of our cruise.  While I'm not even sure that I can actually pick a day/time in advance, I'm not so interested anymore given the price that's showing.  Pre-cruise planner shows "Hot Glass Class for One" - $120.  What??  Last I saw, it was around $59 in the cruise planner.  I'm wondering if there's a new price structure in place?  

Has anyone seen this recent increase as well in the pre-cruise planner, but then actually have a different price once onboard?

We got off the Equinox Saturday. My wife prebooked the glass blowing for $59. We got on the ship at it was $74 for the same item. They honored her price. Basically the $59 was sort of a down payment, if you picked a piece that was more than that, you just paid the difference.

This is there next big moneymaker. The first night they did an hour or so demo. All the rest of the times it was customers making their pieces. Pricing was from $75 to $175 and they were full almost every session. They allowed 25 minutes per session. On sea days they probably had 15-20 sessions. $$$ No charity auctions or raffles for free pieces.

I had read elsewhere of an increase.  We had booked for 2 for $107 for June.  My piece was $77 and DW's was $110 I think.  We pad the difference between that price & $59 for each piece, so we saved a little.  I did hear rumors of a price increase coming up.  That does seem a bit drastic, but the only yhing you were getting for $59 was a paperweight or Christmas tree ornament. 

We were on the Eclipse in May and I did the glass blowing class. Celebrity has a new vendor now, so it is basically you with the professional creating your choice. I didn't pre-book, so don't know if prices have changed. Think my vase was about $110. Really enjoyed the experience and would do it again!

20190504_110311.jpg

Pricing has changed.  Pre-booking is a flat $120 and the items that can be made are described.  Note that you have a 24 hour no penalty window after purchasing.  After that, you will be charged a $25 cancellation fee.

I collect blown glass when we travel ( blue) so am really interested in this.  First Celebrity Cruise....how do they do this on board?  Is this with a torch of some kind?  They can’t have a furnace on board. The DH says we don’t have room for much more  glass( lol) but I’d love to have a hand in my own piece.  Do they also have demonstrations?

3 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I collect blown glass when we travel ( blue) so am really interested in this.  First Celebrity Cruise....how do they do this on board?  Is this with a torch of some kind?  They can’t have a furnace on board. The DH says we don’t have room for much more  glass( lol) but I’d love to have a hand in my own piece.  Do they also have demonstrations?

It is up on the Lawn Club and yes, they have two furnaces.

From when we were on the Solstice in January.  I made a flower and my husband a glass.  At the time they wouldn't do handles (he wanted something like a beer stein) so he got a thumb print area but we have since seen that they have added that.

20190110-NZ-Glass Blowing-12.JPG

20190110-NZ-Glass Blowing-18.JPG

20190110-NZ-Glass Blowing-19.JPG

20190110-NZ-Glass Blowing-25.JPG

On 9/14/2019 at 7:29 AM, CardRock said:

I had read elsewhere of an increase.  We had booked for 2 for $107 for June.  My piece was $77 and DW's was $110 I think.  We pad the difference between that price & $59 for each piece, so we saved a little.  I did hear rumors of a price increase coming up.  That does seem a bit drastic, but the only yhing you were getting for $59 was a paperweight or Christmas tree ornament. 

Just looked at my cruise planner.  The prebooking price is still $59USD and $107.  I have just converted what they would charge me in AUD to USD.

Glad we prepaid 2 for $107, planner shows $120 now with the verbiage shown below. Anyone know how much extra we will have to pay for a tumbler? Both of us intend on making those. Any pictures of a whale tail mug or a mermaid mug? Seen tumblers before.

$120 for one now in the planner, no option for 2 on Feb Equinox cruise.

Overview

Discover the ancient art of glassblowing, invented during the Roman Empire, in one of our world-famous hot glass classes, offered exclusively by Celebrity Cruises. Use vibrant colors and high heat to create your own unique piece of art from one of eight impressive designs. Your handmade souvenir will remind you of all the amazing experiences you had on your vacation for years to come. Classes are extremely popular, and sell out quickly, so make sure you reserve your spot today. 

SOUVENIR OPTIONS:
• Wave Vase 
• Vase 
• Starfish 
• Heart 
• Pumpkin 
• Jellyfish 
• Whale Tail Mug/Mermaid Mug 
• Tropical Fish

WHO’S WELCOME: 
• Adults 
• Kids ages 3 and up with adult supervision

CLASS DURATION: 
• 20 minutes

DISCLAIMER: There will be a $25 fee if you don’t cancel within 24 hours of purchase.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Edited by CruisinDawn
  • Like 1