Ft Lauderdale Hotel Recommendations

Tenamarie123

Going on the Magic at the end of December and need to book a room for two different nights as we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the night before and staying in Ft. Lauderdale the night we return, with an early flight home in the morning.  Does anyone have any hotels that they can recommend?  Would like to stay within walking distance to the beach and restaurants.  Would like a pool and free shuttle to the airport as there will be 5 of us.  It will be my dh, myself and my 3 older kids (21, 19, 15).  Thank you in advance!!

I'm on the Magic at the beginning of December. My first time to FLL. But I did a little blog during my search of hotwire hotels with airport shuttle service. In the end I booked a flight that gets me in at 8pm the night before the cruise so transportation from the airport and to the cruise port became my priority. I booked the Cambria which has a free airport shuttle and a $10 cruise port shuttle. But here is the blog entry from my FLL hotel search. Maybe it will help you.

https://saintgregtravel.com/fort-lauderdale-hotels-with-shuttle-service/

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Thanks 1

We don't predicate our stay based on the cost of the shuttle to the airport or cruise port, Uber is worth it not having to wait for shuttles to fill up.  Our main criteria is a convenient place, close to the port (to minimize the cost of the Uber) and near restaurants and shopping.

We typically pick the lowest rate between 3 properties on or near 17th St.  Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites or Hilton Marina. All 3 are an easy walk to the large shopping center with Publix and and Total Wine & Spirits as well as a lot of great places to eat.

Good luck on your search.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The airport and cruise port are close to each other, so I wouldn't let shuttles dictate my choices.  The 17th St. area is popular with cruisers and convenient, but it's not within walking distance of the beach.  You may find it difficult to find something that meets all your criteria.  The Florida Departures board has a lot of information.  

I literally just booked Hyatt Place for our one night precruise hotel in FLL.  I am planning on using Lyft to get to and from, not expensive and after my flight I don't want to wait on the shuttle to fill up.  There are ride comparison sites if you want to check out Uber XL or similar for pricing.

I would either book a beach hotel like the Bahia Mar or Courtyard Marriott or a Las Olas hotel like the Dalmar or Riverside for the night before and somewhere on 17th Street like the Hilton Marina or Renaissance for the night after.

All are walking distance to lots to do.

If you only have a short period of time the night before, such as you arrive after 6PM, reverse my suggestions.

9 hours ago, Roz said:

The airport and cruise port are close to each other, so I wouldn't let shuttles dictate my choices.

Especially with a group of 5!  That $10 per person shuttle at the Cambria would end up costing $50.  Van taxis in Fort Lauderdale charge the same as sedans (around $15 or less from 17th Street hotels) and UberXL would be about the same (maybe a little less).

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 1:04 PM, Saint Greg said:

I'm on the Magic at the beginning of December. My first time to FLL. But I did a little blog during my search of hotwire hotels with airport shuttle service. In the end I booked a flight that gets me in at 8pm the night before the cruise so transportation from the airport and to the cruise port became my priority. I booked the Cambria which has a free airport shuttle and a $10 cruise port shuttle. But here is the blog entry from my FLL hotel search. Maybe it will help you.

Hey there - mind if I message you re: your Hotwire strategy? I don't want to hijack the thread ...

On 9/14/2019 at 2:04 PM, Saint Greg said:

Saint Greg, you overlooked a lot of great hotels on you hunt but otherwise enjoyed your blog.

Next time take a look at the hotels in North Beach on or around Birch Road.  Also, smart move going with your gut instinct on the Rodeway.  It's a dump and so are the hotels out on 84.

• Like 2

We always stay at the Hyatt Place on 17th Street and love it.  They have a shuttle to and from airport and also a shuttle for $7 each to the cruise port.  They are right across the parking lot from several restaurants and a publix grocery store.  The Sun Trolley stops here and will take you to the beach for $1 per person (kids under 40 " are half price).  Website for sun trolley is www.suntrolley.com.  The hotel also includes free breakfast if you are a hyatt loyalty member (free to join and can do it online when you book your room or beforehand).  The rooms are mini suites with a couch separated by a half wall and either 2 queen beds or a king.  Very spacious for your family.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:49 PM, K&RCurt said:

We don't predicate our stay based on the cost of the shuttle to the airport or cruise port, Uber is worth it not having to wait for shuttles to fill up.  Our main criteria is a convenient place, close to the port (to minimize the cost of the Uber) and near restaurants and shopping.

We typically pick the lowest rate between 3 properties on or near 17th St.  Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites or Hilton Marina. All 3 are an easy walk to the large shopping center with Publix and and Total Wine & Spirits as well as a lot of great places to eat.

Good luck on your search.

Good to hear. We have Embassy Suites booked for night before and Hilton Marina for the night we return! 

16 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Thanks for posting, any restaurants nearby you'd recommend.  I will look into the Sun Trolley I wouldn't mind a quick tour of the area before we head to the port.

I recommend the Southport Restaurant and Raw Bar on Cordova Rd.  A 2 block walk from the Embassy Suites.  It looks like a dive, but the food is wonderful, actually much better as well as less expensive than the "nice" looking place across the street!

And the Bimini bread OMG!

Edited by K&RCurt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

we are staying in B Ocean Resort for two nights after cruise can anyone please recommend transport options to sawgrass mall on a Saturday please. Appreciate any advice Hotel says they will do shuttle for $50 each but think it’s costly? 
thanks 

Debbie 

40 minutes ago, Deblouise said:

Hi 

we are staying in B Ocean Resort for two nights after cruise can anyone please recommend transport options to sawgrass mall on a Saturday please. Appreciate any advice Hotel says they will do shuttle for $50 each but think it’s costly? 
thanks 

Debbie 

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Fort-Lauderdale-Airport-FLL/Sawgrass-Mills

How about renting a car for the day? Otherwise, Uber might be less expensive..

Darcy