Country music on Carnival

Honolulu Blue

On 10/31/2019 at 8:28 AM, DryCreek said:

Do they even have bands with real steel drums any more?

I like steel drums, but when i was on the Dream there was one steel drum player that played same stuff over and over. It really got annoying after the 3rd day of a 7-day cruise. BTW, not a country music fan.I'm on vacation, dont really need to be depressed on a ship. 😊

2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

BTW, not a country music fan.I'm on vacation, dont really need to be depressed on a ship. 😊

What do you get when you play a country music song backwards? You get your house back, your spouse back, your dog back, your pick-up truck back... 😆 An oldie, but a goodie. Seriously though, I like country music, but I'm definitely more into the older stuff. Anything after the 90's just doesn't cut it for me. I like a few of the more modern-day country songs, but not many.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/16/2019 at 11:38 AM, keywest1 said:

When we sailed Triumph out of Galveston a few years ago, there was enough country music all over the ship that I thought my ears would never quit bleeding 😖

Thanks for saying it better than I could! 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

I like steel drums, but when i was on the Dream there was one steel drum player that played same stuff over and over. It really got annoying after the 3rd day of a 7-day cruise. BTW, not a country music fan.I'm on vacation, dont really need to be depressed on a ship. 😊

Just got off the Vista

Yes for real steel drums.  He was playing to a "back track" - which was kinda lame, but thats what things are these days.

Just off the Vista

There was trivia - country music

There was music (3) events that had country music either by the main on board band (Riff Rafts), or the single artist with the guitar.

There was also a lot of country music karaoke coming from the red frog pub.  Unfortunately, I think the poor red frog croaked at some of the "talent" - LMAO!!!  Holy Moly everyone is a singer.  Hand them a microphone and a stiff drink!  WooHoo  (PS - Red Frog has GREAT beer on tap)

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:  I just got off the Breeze from Port Canaveral.  I'd say the distribution of country was similar here as it was on the Freedom a few months ago.  There was a line dancing lesson session.  There was the very occasional country song as background music (the Freedom had more).  There was a country music singer that played in the atrium at various times.  Our piano player played a country song in his warmup for the 88 Keys show.  There was a session of country music trivia.  Also, the one thing the Breeze had that the Freedom did not was the Country Road Playlist show.

So my conclusion is that how much country you're exposed to depends on the ship and where it sails from.

11 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

UPDATE:  I just got off the Breeze from Port Canaveral. 

Did you happen to make it to the red frog pub? When I sailed the breeze they had an acoustic guitar player there signing country and classic rock songs.

On 10/31/2019 at 7:42 PM, crewsweeper said:

When we were on the Horizon,  they had as really good cover  band. But the Latin band in the Havana Club was excellent. No disappointment on the  music front for me.

We sailed the Horizon over 4th of July and these two frequently played in Pig & Anchor. They played some Eagles tunes, but also remember them playing some country. They were very good! 

DBA47A75-E75F-4B17-82E1-9E9E727E25E5.jpeg

9031600B-7D31-431C-9587-90D1EA82F468.jpeg

Not a whole lot of country on our Valor cruise out of NOLA last month. No country music trivia and I don't recall any being played as background music. We don't sit down to listen to the live singers, but do hear them as we move about the ship. I didn't hear any of them singing country, but that doesn't mean they didn't. The Valor does have the Country Road Playlist Production show. Personally, I didn't like it at all. I hate most modern pop-country, anything past the 90's, and that's what a vast majority of Country Road is. There were so many songs I didn't even recognize. They did play music over the PA before the show started that I liked. They started with much older country music and worked their way through the decades. But once it gets to the 2000's, it's not for me.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:53 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

UPDATE:  I just got off the Breeze from Port Canaveral.  I'd say the distribution of country was similar here as it was on the Freedom a few months ago.  There was a line dancing lesson session.  There was the very occasional country song as background music (the Freedom had more).  There was a country music singer that played in the atrium at various times.  Our piano player played a country song in his warmup for the 88 Keys show.  There was a session of country music trivia.  Also, the one thing the Breeze had that the Freedom did not was the Country Road Playlist show.

So my conclusion is that how much country you're exposed to depends on the ship and where it sails from.

We were on that Breeze sailing as well and there was a Country Duo - NeillyRich (Matt & Amelia) and they were super awesome played in either Atrium, Ocean Plaza or Red Frog Pub regularly.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Hello fellow cruisers!  I have a cruise sailing out of Galveston next month, and I was curious about the country music scene on board ships that sail from there (and possibly New Orleans and Mobile).  I can tell you from my experiences sailing from Florida that there is little, if any, country influence on those ships.

I'm thinking about all the ways country could make its way on board, including:

* Piped in music in common areas and the MDR

* Country-themed shows in the main theater

* Live country bands on Lido and in the lobby

* Country music trivia

* Line dancing lessons (and other similar dances)

* Comedians with a country influence

* Understanding of cowboy boots and 10-gallon hats in the MDR

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful and informed answers to my query.

Even on Florida sailings there are  country themed shows in the main theater, and country themed sets by the house musicians. I have seen line dancing, and comedians represent a wide range of backgrounds. Many people wear cowboy boots in the MDR - but even cowboys take their hat off indoors. Your not going to see country (or any other type of music)  dominate (unless of course it's a charter for country enthusiasts).