Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

If they have to build a whole new cruise port I couldn’t see anything in under 10 years.

The planning process they released was 3-4 years.Then the construction process.

How long ago did they start talking about the new airport ,30 years ago? And now 1 year in to construction and to start service in 2026

21 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think Gbenjo would prefer to just work out of the OPT for the rest of his working life.

Speaking about the above mentioned gentleman, is there an easy means of identifying him. There is a certain gentleman of reasonably advanced years, with a great personality , a dignified mustache, and who on several occasions has assisted with organising a wheelchair for one of our vision limited cruisers, and this bloke may well be the man.  

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

He is normally do the security zap / ding with your cruise cards on the promenade when you first board on embarkation day, he is the one with the big smile.

Never seen him smile when I’ve been in his line. But then he has only checked me in once, second time he chucked a sickie.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Of course if they find a location to actually dock they can use temporary structures like they did at Bangaroo and while the OPT  was being tarted up.

Did they do that? I didn’t know.

When a ship is moored on the north side (forget what it’s called) they use a tender from white bay don’t they?

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Did they do that? I didn’t know.

When a ship is moored on the north side (forget what it’s called) they use a tender from white bay don’t they?

I know that for a while they used at Tent at OPT, and one of our first cruises it was a tent at Bangaroo.

another time My sister sailed out of OPT and they checked them in at White Bay and tendered them to the OPT. 

A year or so back i looked into a cruise with one of the small expedition lines, they checked you in at a temporary structure somewhere and tendered you to a location at Botany, I will try and find if I still have the details.

26 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I know that for a while they used at Tent at OPT, and one of our first cruises it was a tent at Bangaroo.

another time My sister sailed out of OPT and they checked them in at White Bay and tendered them to the OPT. 

A year or so back i looked into a cruise with one of the small expedition lines, they checked you in at a temporary structure somewhere and tendered you to a location at Botany, I will try and find if I still have the details.

So they have done it before.

My guess is they will have to do something similar with a birth at the container terminal for the near future.

Money talks and it’s billions talking.

Sydney port authority  NSW treasury and the department of commerce is the task force.

Edited by Chiliburn

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

He is normally do the security zap / ding with your cruise cards on the promenade when you first board on embarkation day, he is the one with the big smile.

Only do A Pass for Ovation ....All  other ships I do  priority check in.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Never seen him smile when I’ve been in his line. But then he has only checked me in once, second time he chucked a sickie.

That  was the reason I was not smiling......I was checking YOU in...... but I smiled at Mrs Gut.

8 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

That  was the reason I was not smiling......I was checking YOU in...... but I smiled at Mrs Gut.

Yeah You showed remarkable restraint most people laugh out loud when they see HER

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Checking in for a small expedition ship with maybe a couple of hundred pax is a much different proposition to two or three thousand.

The tent  was  permanent/ temporary structure at Barangaroo while they built White Bay butwas still within the wharf security precinct and next to the ship.

The ship your sister was on was the Solstice and that was a once off because of the renovations  to the OPT and not something Sydney Ports  would want to foot the bill for on an ongoing basis.

The tent at the OPT was also a temporary structure  used while OPT renos were being done but once again located at the OPT where the ship was berthed.

Edited by gbenjo

5 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Checking in for a small expedition ship with maybe a couple of hundred pax is a much different proposition to two or three thousand.

The tent  was  permanent/ temporary structure at Barangaroo while they built White Bay butwas still within the wharf security precinct and next to the ship.

The ship your sister was on was the Solstice and that was a once off because of the renovations  to the OPT and not something Sydney Ports  would want to foot the bill for on an ongoing basis.

The tent at the OPT was also a temporary structure  used while OPT renos were being done but once again located at the OPT where the ship was berthed.

I understand all that, but my point was, that if they found somewhere to dock they don’t need to wait till all the balding is done to utilise it, I would never advocate tendering as an option for boarding the big ships, they need to find somewhere to dock, preferably where they will build a decent terminal, but they CAN utilise it while the actual terminal is under construction.

Another example is when Pacific Jewel was embarking in Newcastle they used a tent, I think it was only one, maybe two seasons, again only about 1600 passengers, but if the authorities can secure a dock the ships upto about 2500 PAX could utilise it with a temporary terminal.

But the sooner they actually start something the better.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

So they have done it before.

My guess is they will have to do something similar with a birth at the container terminal for the near future.

Money talks and it’s billions talking.

Sydney port authority  NSW treasury and the department of commerce is the task force.

Cannot see them using an existing container berth for a cruise ship ( it would have happened by now) and building the new berth and terminal will happen simultaneously ( like Brisbane)  and as I have said before they really only need three terminals for a couple of months a year so the cruise lines will " work around it " til it is built.  IMHO.

Even when  the third terminal is built ( and it will be) the options of where to  cruise to from Sydney are still limited..so how many extra ships will go to the islands or New Zealand and remember Brisbane will also be serving the same market with less people coming from Brisbane  to Sydney to go to the Islands.    Not being negative but just looking at it from a different perspective.

Edited by gbenjo

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Will they go with three though, or abandon White Bay.

White Bay is by far the best terminal from an operational point of view and ideal for the smaller ships that can fit under the bridge and still gives the desired Sydney Harbour sail in/ out  .  I think they will keep the three , but only really need two and a half.

I guess they could tun it into a solar farm or build some wind turbines for the greenies etc but then again they would not like it in their own backyard.😡

But like you said a new mega cruise  port in botany would mainly be used for 6 months of the year.The rest of the year it would it would be deserted ,preference would be port Jackson., It wouldn’t be like Miami or Fort Lauderdale ,year round.

Unless they could make it multifunctional I don’t think it would warrant the money.