"Live" - Ovation of the Seas 20-30 Sept 2019 - Our not normal cruise to Hawaii

PCWalton1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

That ticket is new - didn't have it in May. Be prepared for a long line coming back.

We just picked up some adult beverages and drank them under the banyan tree, where you could watch the tender line.  Then just walk over when it is not too long.

You can meet some interesting free spirits under the tree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you do not have a cruiseline excursion booked, what determines your tender ticket time? Is it everyone for themselves after group X, or something different? We have never had to tender so that's new for us.
7am they started handing out tender tickets at Vintages for all of us that did not have shop excursions. We had tender ticket boat 3 which left before we could get down there so we jumped on the next one and were on the beach about 7:40.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Today we were in Lahaina, Maui and though we'r had a good time we did not do what we planned.

cf6b3999e58421d98907d93810d973f0.jpg

f7b95201f93cd57c9aa6f56c4c187716.jpg

Once we got to the beach we took an Uber to pick up our rental car. We got a car through the Turo app. It's like AirBnB for cars as you rent from owners. We did this as i wanted a car that the owner didn't mind if we did a reverse road to hana as that was our plan.

However we got as far as the Maui Winery and two things happened. First it started raining and looking farther along that direction it looked worse. Second because she has been ill for the past week Marie started to get carsick from the twisting road.

So we backtracked and had a simpler day. First we stopped and enjoyed a nice long stroll through Kula Botanical gardens.

b543041e2dd2122581e58397ef4541e2.jpg

d3e5d897353141bc2a5058e5660ee2cf.jpg

6ae2e061024122ea30b04e85435d650c.jpg

b27edd6876feb466adc73407bcd57399.jpg

2400d192687b2ba6853b6acadb7d2eca.jpg

88aa157515100f638186f6b895c44092.jpg

3838ef85e56fafe6f544b1068ec7438b.jpg

By the time we finished it was lunchtime and we'r headed to Paia to eat. We had reservations at Mama's Fish House for 4:30 but they were willing to seat us four hours early. We have never been here and so many people rave about it so we finally decided to try it.

I will say the view was amazing as was the food. They started us with their onion bread and small bowls of soup. We then tried the shrimp won tons, all of this i failed to take pictures of.

Main course Marie had a Panang curry with ahi, opah, and mahi mahi. I had ahi cooked just right. [emoji16]

7d4e53ead1fe1e432a98219c2d10f5f1.jpg

868b62f331cc3abc88af4003ffe81c11.jpg

3328feebf9ca88b495408f7f4606b2c1.jpg

80c40659da08f1454faa66abf784bc57.jpg

63b35634ccb24f08b3b49f0e5ec68491.jpg

55d59b040375ca24ce3d07baf2afad5c.jpg

c1a99a7fb2b0403b795053ce21f9f32b.jpg

d9f6ef18123255c6dbf1044407874465.jpg

a807a0372787aa82f96e8a8fc63d2714.jpg

• Like 2

Hi

I cannot wait for more. Thank you for doing this 

We are on the exact cruise next September so looking forward to hearing all about it. 

We did a Hawaii cruise in 2015 with land and I fell 😍 with Hawaii 

Can I ask please at what point can you ask for reductions? Pay in full date?

Also did you get any offers available on the drinks package before you sailed? Like buy one get one half price?

8 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

However we got as far as the Maui Winery and two things happened. First it started raining and looking farther along that direction it looked worse. Second because she has been ill for the past week Marie started to get carsick from the twisting road.

My wife, son and I attempted the Road to Hana a few years ago.  About one-third of the way in my son was feeling nauseous.  We turned around and headed back, but he didn't feel better until we got back to the "normal" roads.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

After that we headed back across the island to Lahaina which took quite some time as there was a lot of traffic on highway 30. So it was 4 by the time we got back on board

Lovely photos, Bill, I'm glad you had a plan B for Lahaina.  And I'm glad you finally made it to Mama's Fish House.  I can see why you have wanted to go there!

Edited by travelgoddess1

7 hours ago, Nextholiday? said:

Hi

I cannot wait for more. Thank you for doing this 

We are on the exact cruise next September so looking forward to hearing all about it. 

We did a Hawaii cruise in 2015 with land and I fell 😍 with Hawaii 

Can I ask please at what point can you ask for reductions? Pay in full date?

Also did you get any offers available on the drinks package before you sailed? Like buy one get one half price?

If you mean price drops I started looking more than a year out. Just do a mock booking on their site to see if they are offering a lower price. 

Sorry we don't buy the drink packages so I didn't notice if there were any offers.

6 hours ago, Nextholiday? said:

PCWalton1 

could i ask

please what price you ended up getting pan Pacific for. 

I don't have the info with me but $286 plus tax

2 hours ago, travelgoddess1 said:

Lovely photos, Bill, I'm glad you had a plan B for Lahaina.  And I'm glad you finally made it to Mama's Fish House.  I can see why you have wanted to go there!

We are working on plan B today as she is still weaker than we thought. More than likely we will stay around Lahaina today once we leave the ship. 

44 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

If you mean price drops I started looking more than a year out. Just do a mock booking on their site to see if they are offering a lower price. 

Sorry we don't buy the drink packages so I didn't notice if there were any offers.

I don't have the info with me but $286 plus tax

Thank you 😊 

Very much enjoying your posts so far, @PCWalton1. You and Marie look absolutely lovely! Cruising on RCI is my favourite way to vacation but sadly have not been on a cruise since 2012. Seriously considering this very cruise next year to celebrate my Big 5-0 so I'm so happy you are giving me a sneak peek! 😀 A few questions for you and any others who have done this itinerary - some who may join on the cruise have never cruised before, and have never been to Hawaii. I know you are not all that enthused about this itinerary for those who have never been to HI but I'm wondering if it might also be a good sampler for them to get an idea of the different vibes on the islands without making a huge time commitment to one or the other? Also, do you think the many sea days at the beginning would be too much for first-time cruisers? Or would it be a good way for them to unwind and get into the cruising vibe? Would appreciate your thoughts, and anyone else's! Thanks!