"Live" - Ovation of the Seas 20-30 Sept 2019 - Our not normal cruise to Hawaii

PCWalton1

1 hour ago, NKLCRUISES said:

What are those dished you ordered from Izumi? They look really good.

edamame, pork dumplings, firecracker shrimps spring rolls, and spicy crispy shrimp roll

1 hour ago, Glide_Path said:

Dinner looks great..... but are you using your tablet as a placemat/coaster for your chicke soup? 😱

That was sauce for the dumplings and being clumsy I move it. 😜 

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Chicken soup is the ultimate remedy for cold... Hope it worked and she's back in form.

Thanks I need to get her some more for lunch as she slowly improving

4 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Finally found the name of the CD. Joff Eaton. Super annoying, like fingernails on a chalk board.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hi Bill & Marie

Hope you are both well.

Eaton does ring a bell and your assessment is spot on

Edited by bigeck

Bill and Marie,

Happy to have found you and I'm following along!  Hope Marie has shaken her cold; at least you have a few more sea days for her to recuperate.  It's been 30+ years since our one and only visit to Hawaii.  Definitely time to go back!

I believe that is Dumbledore's hat in the Rowling exhibit.  It was the Music Experience when we visited in 2006 (before our Alaska cruise), and we saw that Jimi Hendrix exhibit!  Everyone keeps exhibits/shows for such a long time ($$$$).  Speaking of shows, what are the shows on Ovation?  Anything good?

Bill and Marie,

Happy to have found you and I'm following along!  Hope Marie has shaken her cold; at least you have a few more sea days for her to recuperate.  It's been 30+ years since our one and only visit to Hawaii.  Definitely time to go back!

I believe that is Dumbledore's hat in the Rowling exhibit.  It was the Music Experience when we visited in 2006 (before our Alaska cruise), and we saw that Jimi Hendrix exhibit!  Everyone keeps exhibits/shows for such a long time ($$$$).  Speaking of shows, what are the shows on Ovation?  Anything good?
Thanks for following along. With Marie sick we have not made it to any shows yet.

Sorry to hear Marie has a cold. Drink hot tea with some honey.

How were the Fish and Chips? That place was still being built while I was on the May13th cruise.

Do you recommend Izumi?

Don't worry you can always walk into the show in 270. It is the same one as Anthem of the Seas only shorter. And shows in the main theatre are shown on the RCCL channel.

There are mixed reviews on Joff Eaton.

I got spoiled having Abe Hughes on Anthem as well as Harmony. 

Make sure you both try Jamie Oliver for a meal.

Toodles

So happy to have found this,  my son and I are booked on the 2020 cruise.  I’ve done the round trip to HI 4 times but it’s the first for my son.  I have old AF friends near Honolulu and my grandson lives in Kona.  I’m making notes of your (and others) recommendations.  Beautiful, beautiful pictures, thanks.

3 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

The left half of the menu is complimentary (free)

Thanks  

They will probably do ok with it .

I never saw anyone in there when it was Kung fu panda.why pay $8 for something when it’s free 20m away in Windjammer.

Edited by Chiliburn

Since Marie is still in bed with a cold i am being the dutiful husband and bringing her dinner from Chops.
It's taking about 20 minutes for a take out order so i am passing the time with a glass of wine in the Schooner bar [emoji16]

f32c353844f664f4c743019e3c04cd3b.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 8:39 PM, PCWalton1 said:

Captain Henrik. Not sure about the CD he only says his first name and not clearly as he is usually yelling. Tall skinny bald head guy. Extra annoying. 😜

Was on the Ovation for the Sep 6 Alaska sailing.  Would completely agree that CD Joff extra annoying.  Like you said he's always yelling at the top of his lungs and had a pretty inflated ego (even for a CD!)  One of my favorite shows on RC is "Love and Marriage" which the entertainment is often based on the CD more so than the contestants... and this one fell pretty flat in comparison to other sailings imo.  

Captain Henrik didn't make any announcements (or appearances from what I remember) until the cruise was nearly over.  The first few days all announcements were made by the CD.  Towards the end of the cruise when Henrik started making the announcements himself they were short and not very informative.  

It also leads to another complaint I have that on the newer ships you cannot hear any announcements in your stateroom unless they choose to (which they most often don't).  I know this is a somewhat controversial topic on here but I prefer the older ships ability to turn the in-room speaker on or off.  

9 hours ago, PilotJeff30 said:

Was on the Ovation for the Sep 6 Alaska sailing.  Would completely agree that CD Joff extra annoying.  Like you said he's always yelling at the top of his lungs and had a pretty inflated ego (even for a CD!)  One of my favorite shows on RC is "Love and Marriage" which the entertainment is often based on the CD more so than the contestants... and this one fell pretty flat in comparison to other sailings imo.  

Captain Henrik didn't make any announcements (or appearances from what I remember) until the cruise was nearly over.  The first few days all announcements were made by the CD.  Towards the end of the cruise when Henrik started making the announcements himself they were short and not very informative.  

It also leads to another complaint I have that on the newer ships you cannot hear any announcements in your stateroom unless they choose to (which they most often don't).  I know this is a somewhat controversial topic on here but I prefer the older ships ability to turn the in-room speaker on or off.  

I believe he (Henrik) was still on vacation and came back on the 20th of September having left on July 20 per the list of Captains on CC.  The other Captain most likely does not like doing them.His name starts with an "s" I believe.

If Henrik was on your ship then he must have taken a shorten vacation less than 10 weeks because he already did May 3 to July 12th as per the Captain's list.  He always did the announcements.  I guess Joff likes to pretend to be captain then.

I think my May 13th cruise had the best itinerary (11 days) and the best captain and CD (Chris from Australia)

I agree put the knob back in the rooms so we can make choice to hear the announcements or put on the RCCL channel.

Other cruise lines one can dial the TV for the announcements.  oh well

Bill and Marie I am enjoying your review as always.

I was going to ask how many shoes Marie brought but someone else beat me to it 😊. A girl can never have too many shoes.

I hope Marie gets rid of this cold quickly so she can enjoy the rest of the journey full of her usual energy.

Thanks once again for sharing.

P.S Great pictures and I must say you have put Seattle on the map for me

Reading every word as we will be on the sailing after yours to Sydney and our first time on Ovation (have been on Quantum and Anthem though).  This will be our 15th trip to Hawaii on land vacations, my favorite place on earth!  We spent a week on Molokai once and it is quite different indeed.  I'm sure we have seen you on a few sailings.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

By the way, love Seattle.  My favorite city!