Return flight at 10:00am... possible?

vallemic

FLL we did in March.  We left late, had zero traffic, fast uber driver, took us about 45 minutes.  Then there was the airport.  We flew Delta and the place was packed with lines super long.

Getting off ship isn't too bad but then the pickup area is a mess.

Possible if all goes well.

We caught an international flight out of FLL at 10:45 am with an early disembarkation from the Yacht Club that put us as the head of the line. Ended up grabbing first cab, cause no time to wait for Uber.  We had TSA pre-check which helped at airport. Barely made it under those circumstances.  Will not do that again.  Too stressful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faze41 said:

We caught an international flight out of FLL at 10:45 am with an early disembarkation from the Yacht Club that put us as the head of the line. Ended up grabbing first cab, cause no time to wait for Uber.  We had TSA pre-check which helped at airport. Barely made it under those circumstances.  Will not do that again.  Too stressful!

Missing a flight home can be stressful. I once missed a connecting flight from Milan to Paris and had to spend the night in Paris unexpectedly. Somehow dinner at a friend's local bistro and several glasses of wine managed to assuage my disappointment. 😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Missing a flight home can be stressful. I once missed a connecting flight from Milan to Paris and had to spend the night in Paris unexpectedly. Somehow dinner at a friend's local bistro and several glasses of wine managed to assuage my disappointment. 😄

Very humorous, if after the fact...

Glad you were able to turn a bad situation into a bearable one, lol!

Lesson learned.

I would NOT book a flight that early, but we were able to standby on an earlier flight when we disembarked MSC Divina and flew out of FLL. We arrived at the airport at 7:45am and we were able to standby on an 8:45am flight. Because we arrived at the airport so early, there were zero lines at the check in counter and zero lines at the security checkpoint. It worked out beautifully. But I would’ve never booked a flight that early. Everything aligned perfectly that time, but my experience is that things don’t align that perfectly most of the time. 

That is earlier than I would be comfortable booking. There is just to much potential to go wrong. In the past I’ve gotten a room then a morning flight back to Canada the day after disembarkation because I’ve found the morning flights to be significantly cheaper at times so it more than offset the cost of a day and hotel in Florida. 

If you do express disembarkation (where you must carry off all your luggage) you might be able to get off about 30 min after docking.  However, this is up to the US CBP folks and they do not always clear the ship as quickly as expected.  If they hold up the clearance then you will not be a happy cruiser.  Once off the ship you should plan on a 45 min ride from the Port of Miami to FLL.  Much of this route is on I95 which can sometimes become a big parking lot and this would also delay your arrival at FLL.

FLL has their own issues with security lines, which can be slow (especially for those flying Southwest).  With a 10am flight you would normally want to be in the airport by 8am at the latest and this is not likely given your situation.  And if you are flying on an International flight to Canada there could be further delays.  There is a very good chance you will miss your flight.  So you need to consider what it will cost you in terms of money and time if you miss that 10am flight...and make your decision accordingly.

Hank

Answer: NO.

I fly in and out of FLL several times a month and have sailed out of POM several times, I will tell you simply NO.  The ship berths as early as 5AM, however nothing moves until 7.  FLL airport can be extremely busy and TSA lines long on weekends due to cruise and vacationers, esp mornings.  Traffic on 95 can be smooth sailing (35-40min) or it can come to a standstill just from one accident or construction.  Weekdays, forget it at that time.

I would say 1130 AM is the safest departure time, also remember that time is the time the jet pushes back from the jetway, the doors have closed and boarding done optimally 15-20 minutes prior to that push time.

• Like 1