Are specialty dining room charges "negotiable

ghstudio

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I’ve never seen an empty restaurant but I have seen empty tables at times.  I can only assume that there are no available reservations because someone is booked to be sitting there in 15-30 minutes.  It’s by no means a fast-food joint.

Exactly.  Reservations at the specialty restaurants are usually staggered so they can give good service to those there.

Some people linger and take longer than others so by staggering the reservations, they don’t run the risk that they can’t accommodate a reservation on time if some people choose to stay longer.

We were on Celebrity Equinox last month and stopped at Murano which is their top specialty restaurant, so I mentioned to the lady at the desk that we were offered a 30% discount on our last Equinox cruise in early June and without any haggling she offered us the same deal. 

5 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We were on Celebrity Equinox last month and stopped at Murano which is their top specialty restaurant, so I mentioned to the lady at the desk that we were offered a 30% discount on our last Equinox cruise in early June and without any haggling she offered us the same deal. 

I won't say that this could never occur on HAL because it might; however, in our experience of cruising with this line for 11 years, we've never thought to ask for any discount prior to ascending the various levels of Mariner status.

OP, if you'd like a discount, the best way to receive it is to book the first evening, which, as others have said, usually offer good discounts in each restaurant.  As for receiving a discount on other nights, ask.  You won't know until you try; however, many times the best dates/times are already reserved before the ship leaves the dock.  The dining package online may accommodate your desire for a deal.  There is a price break using the package versus purchasing a meal in each individual restaurant.

Have a marvelous cruise.   

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

The “dine around” package is available on HAL’s website to pre order.  I don’t think you can get it on board - at least I haven’t seen it offered.

IF they offer an embarkation day special, it’s only on board.

As to on board credits, they are just that - to be used on board the ship.  You can’t use them to pre order on line.

Thanks for this information  .We did go to the HAL web site  to check out the various dining  packages  &  port tours  ;as we do have a lot of OBCs  to spend . KAL is unlike Princess  where you can book  on line  using  your OBCs  .Interesting differences in  subsidiary cruise lines 

8 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks for this information  .We did go to the HAL web site  to check out the various dining  packages  &  port tours  ;as we do have a lot of OBCs  to spend . KAL is unlike Princess  where you can book  on line  using  your OBCs  .Interesting differences in  subsidiary cruise lines 

On the Nieuw Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago you could have lunch in the Pinnacle on sea days for $15.00.   I find that a good way to try the restaurant on days you don't like the main dining room menu.   It was never full when we went by during lunch times and we have always enjoyed it in the past for dinner.  

I think you might be able to just arrive and see if there is an available table at lunch.

1 minute ago, mexico8 said:

On the Nieuw Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago you could have lunch in the Pinnacle on sea days for $15.00.   I find that a good way to try the restaurant on days you don't like the main dining room menu.   It was never full when we went by during lunch times and we have always enjoyed it in the past for dinner.  

I think you might be able to just arrive and see if there is an available table at lunch.

Thanks for the information .We should give lunch a try before  using Pinnacle  for dinner