Passport Problem

Jann5723

12 hours ago, Crystal04 said:

I went on a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale last year to the Caribbean with my passport expiring just a few days after my return. The lady at check in just did a double check on it to confirm I was back before it expires and it was fine.

So you advocating don't worry, just go for it?

You know I sometimes am above the speed limit but didn't get a ticket, don't worry you won't get a ticket.  

Sadly don't worry go for it, get to port and get rejected, unlike others things in life you will be SOL with this one, watch the ship or airplane leave w/o you!

16 hours ago, Jann5723 said:

Hi,

We are planning to book a cruise for early January for 2 weeks.  Just realized that our passports expire in mid February.  I'm wondering if we should try to renew them before we go, or is that necessary?  I'm worried about sending them in and not getting it done in time (although we would be willing to pay the extra money to expedite things).  I'm wondering if there are any restrictions as to how much time you have before your passport expires when you go on a cruise.  Really don't want to book a cruise without having a passport at hand, but we can't wait too long to try to book, either.  Thanks for any help you can give.

Jann 

Get your passport renewed, nothing to argue about, LOL

4 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Sadly don't worry go for it, get to port and get rejected, unlike others things in life you will be SOL with this one, watch the ship or airplane leave w/o you!

And just because something is allowed now it doesn’t mean the same will hold true in a week, month, or a year.  For example, I read recently on one of the boards that some Caribbean islands have changed their passport requirements.

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

And just because something is allowed now it doesn’t mean the same will hold true in a week, month, or a year.  For example, I read recently on one of the boards that some Caribbean islands have changed their passport requirements.

Yup go for it , for me, when I travel overseas, regardless of rules, I bring my passport.  SOL and get sick and need to fly home, opps no passport, just a headache why even worry, just bring that little thing.    Kind of like your driver's license, don't need it everywhere but driving and most other times, but we carry it all the time.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Guadalupe and Martinique. Neither were signatories to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. They were previously allowing cruise passengers to do closed loop cruises out of courtesy. As of this post we don’t know the OPs itinerary. But that does not stop the scaremongers from posting.

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Yup go for it , for me, when I travel overseas, regardless of rules, I bring my passport.  SOL and get sick and need to fly home, opps no passport, just a headache why even worry, just bring that little thing.    Kind of like your driver's license, don't need it everywhere but driving and most other times, but we carry it all the time.

No one has suggested that OP travel overseas without a passport.  

19 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They don’t enforce it when six months is not required. 

Charles...while I agree with everything you've said on this thread,  for the sake of clarity and full accuracy there are some cruise lines that require a passport with six months remaining validity on all cruises regardless of whether laws and regulations require it.  Regent Seven Seas, and Oceania among other requires this of all passengers even on a cruise that legally doesn't require a passport.

Edited by njhorseman

22 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Charles...while I agree with everything you've said on this thread,  for the sake of clarity and full accuracy there are some cruise lines that require a passport with six months remaining validity on all cruises regardless of whether laws and regulations require it.  Regent Seven Seas, and Oceania among other require this of all passengers even on a cruise that legally doesn't require a passport.

That is true but for context this thread  was moved from the Princess board. So I was not answering about all cruise lines. I didn’t know they were going to move it. I have not been reading  the Ask a Cruise a Question board. I only noticed when replying to your post that a moderator had moved it. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

That is true but for context this thread  was moved from the Princess board. So I was not answering about all cruise lines. I didn’t know they were going to move it. I have not been reading  the Ask a Cruise a Question board. I only noticed when replying to your post that a moderator had moved it. 

OK...I understand. 

9 hours ago, chipmaster said:

So you advocating don't worry, just go for it?

You know I sometimes am above the speed limit but didn't get a ticket, don't worry you won't get a ticket.  

No, they should do their research. I was on a closed loop 20 day itinerary that allowed me to do that. 

14 hours ago, Crystal04 said:

No, they should do their research. I was on a closed loop 20 day itinerary that allowed me to do that. 

wow, I'd never take a 20 day and be so far away with how ever low risk, still a risk to not have passport.    When I fly domestically I never carry my passport, but sometimes wonder what if I loose my wallet, BTW never carry wallet and passport together.

20 days is a long time, I assume you visited different countries, interesting approach to risk, not one I'd advocate, but I'm OCD and paranoid and always plan to have a plan if the worst case happens, LOL

33 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

wow, I'd never take a 20 day and be so far away with how ever low risk, still a risk to not have passport.    When I fly domestically I never carry my passport, but sometimes wonder what if I loose my wallet, BTW never carry wallet and passport together.

The TSA  can make exceptions for domestic flights. They interview you and if they are satisfied they let you fly. What I do is carry my Global Entry card as backup separate from my wallet. Global Entry cards can be used as ID for domestic flights. My sister got the Passport Card when she renewed her Passport Book and has that as backup ID for domestic flights. 

Edited by Charles4515

14 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The TSA  can make exceptions for domestic flights. They interview you and if they are satisfied they let you fly. What I do is carry my Global Entry card as backup separate from my wallet. Global Entry cards can be used as ID for domestic flights. My sister got the Passport Card when she renewed her Passport Book and has that as backup ID for domestic flights. 

Of course there are always ways, why go the hardway?  WHy not just carry a passport?   You could argue that same thinking to gas for your car, food, extra cash, spare CC, live life at the edge, LOL

7 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Of course there are always ways, why go the hardway?  WHy not just carry a passport?   You could argue that same thinking to gas for your car, food, extra cash, spare CC, live life at the edge, LOL

I am philosophically opposed to carrying a passport as ID for travel  within the USA. I also don’t want to risk losing it or damaging my passport book by carrying it on domestic trips when it is not required.  However if I did not have other valid ID like if my house burned down and the passport survived in the fireproof safe I store it in I would bring it....

2 minutes ago, nascarcruiser said:

Ok how can they enforce it if for most closed loop cruises you don't need it?  Just curious if Princess requires passports for ALL cruises.   

It was noted above that passports are not required for closed loop cruises.

Eventually they will be required.

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

I agree. Eventually they will be required for most travel.

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

20 days is a long time, I assume you visited different countries, interesting approach to risk, not one I'd advocate, but I'm OCD and paranoid and always plan to have a plan if the worst case happens, LOL

The resistance is crazy.  🤔

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It was noted above that passports are not required for closed loop cruises.

Eventually they will be required.

Originally they were going to be required for all cruises. The cruise lines lobbied against that and got the exception for closed loop cruises. They believed customers with families would balk at the expense of getting passports. That it would be a deal breaker. Will it eventually be required, maybe. Lobbyists have a lot of influence over politicians. I don’t know if the cruise industry wants to continue the exception.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Originally they were going to be required for all cruises. The cruise lines lobbied against that and got the exception for closed loop cruises. They believed customers with families would balk at the expense of getting passports. That it would be a deal breaker. Will it eventually be required, maybe. Lobbyists have a lot of influence over politicians. I don’t know if the cruise industry wants to continue the exception.  

The cruise industry has not made a peep about wanting the regulation changed, and for good reason. They want to make it as in expensive and easy as possible for novice travelers who don't have passports to try cruising. 

But even if the cruise industry suddenly pivoted and decided they would prefer every passenger to have a passport, and even if the politicians and career bureaucrats were in agreement,  the change would take months and possibly years to implement. The proposed revised regulations would have to be published in the Federal Register and would be open for public comment. After the public comment period a decision on adoption, rejection or amendment of the regulatory changes would have to be made. Finally the revised regulations would be implemented with advance notice of a future effective date. As a result everyone who might then need a passport even for a simple closed loop cruise would have more than sufficient time to apply for one. 

Charles, I'm sure you know all this. My comments are directed toward the fear mongers, hand wringers and nail biters who seem to think that a massive regulatory change can be imposed in an instant. Nothing is further from the truth. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The cruise industry has not made a peep about wanting the regulation changed, and for good reason. They want to make it as in expensive and easy as possible for novice travelers who don't have passports to try cruising. 

I know this is an unlikely scenario but I am just curious what if the Caribbean nations who are part of the passport free travel agreement decide they want passengers to arrive with passports? Is there anything cruise lines could do about that? 

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I know this is an unlikely scenario but I am just curious what if the Caribbean nations who are part of the passport free travel agreement decide they want passengers to arrive with passports? Is there anything cruise lines could do about that? 

"Unlikely scenario" is an understatement. So many Caribbean island economies depend so heavily on tourism that they would never do anything to jeopardize the flow of tourism dollars.

If it were to happen cruise lines could easily say "Sorry, your country will no longer be on our itineraries " and deprive those nations of the income from cruise tourism, something a heavily tourism-dependent country would not want to happen.

39 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If it were to happen cruise lines could easily say "Sorry, your country will no longer be on our itineraries " and deprive those nations of the income from cruise tourism, something a heavily tourism-dependent country would not want to happen.

Thanks for this 👍. Though when I was writing the question I was thinking more along the lines of if most or all the countries pulled out of agreement. I was thinking if something like OTEC was created then the countries would be making those decisions together. 

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

This was posted in August on the Princess board about Martinique and Guadelope.

This was the announcement Princess sent to passengers on upcoming cruises stopping in either of those countries (note they are emphasizing that it is a change in requirements):

"Please be advised that documentation requirements for your voyages have been updated. A valid passport is now required for all guests on this voyage. Guests without a valid passport will be denied boarding.                              

Your passport should be valid for six months after the completion of travel. Please ensure the name on your passport matches your name as it appears on your booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages.   

There may be occasions where we retain your passport at check-in. This is to ensure that you are not inconvenienced by immigration clearance during your cruise in ports face-to-face inspection is not required. We recommend you bring a second government-issued photo ID if you wish to have one with you while in port, and to carry a copy of your passport photo page."        

And this is the thread with 7 pages of discussion about the new requirement:  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2689894-passport-required/

Edited by capriccio
  • Thanks 1