MDR dining with a very fussy husband!

Tikka234

15 hours ago, emam said:

Bear in mind you only get 5 or 6 thick cut chips with the steak. The always available chicken is nice and just tell them to leave the garlic butter off. I once asked for the chicken with only peas for the veg but they didn't bring any chips or potatoes so also watch that.  

I think that fries are available on the late night buffet, I'm sure there is someone who can confirm that. We usually go up for a cuppa but not food.

My husband always asks for extra chips if has the always available streak and the waiters just bring a small bowl full. 

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

My husband always asks for extra chips if has the always available streak and the waiters just bring a small bowl full. 

Someone asked for a bowl of chips extra early in our last cruise, after the third night each couple got a bowl

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Someone asked for a bowl of chips extra early in our last cruise, after the third night each couple got a bowl

I've noticed that recently if one member of the table asks for a portion of chips, several bowls are brought out and often if someone asks for ice cream with their dessert, everyone else gets extra ice cream as well

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I've noticed that recently if one member of the table asks for a portion of chips, several bowls are brought out and often if someone asks for ice cream with their dessert, everyone else gets extra ice cream as well

Yes, we were sampling all sorts of different ice creams etc without having to ask, just because a table companion asked a question about one on the first night. 

We never complained. 

Andy 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Now that would raise some eyebrows, I didn't know it's always available to streak in the mdr. 

Edited by emam
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On our last 7 cruises we have travelled with my in-laws and we all dine together in the MDR every evening. Our son usually chooses from the kids menu and on occasions Grandma and Grandad have had items from that same menu without any problems whatsoever. Grandma sometimes just wants something plain (e.g. fish fingers and chips) and Grandad is very partial to a cream horn for dessert! As others have said the waiters are always fantastic and very accommodating.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 9:17 PM, Presto2 said:

I'm not trying to be awkward but if a cruise line catered for one individual's tastes in the MDR (going off menu) surely it would set them a precedence. I.e. catering for anyone / everyone who had a special taste / likes / dislikes. I can't see that it would work and to be honest,  is it fair?

Disabilities is one thing, just being a fussy eater to  me should not mean that they cater for that individual's taste.

I have always found the cruise lines more than happy to try to make their customers happy, for example on my last cruise the American couple on the next table were provided with a menu for the following evening as they were following a specific vegan diet.

So serving a combination of items which will already exist on board (they must if the are in the buffet) should be no problem at all.

Just explain the issue to them, and I bet they will be happy to let your husband pick a meal in advance from whatever they will be serving in the buffet the following evening, to be served in the MDR.