I'm cruising on Oct 8th and my husband bailed..

Eskylady

My husband is not able to go on our cruise on the Crown Princess on Oct 8th. I had also booked EZair for us.  Since the cruise is only a bit over a week out do I cancel the flight directly with Delta or Princess? On the Princess site the penalty appears to be the total flight charge. So. (Okay, admittedly this sounds stupid), is that an additional charge or just the monetary loss of the ticket cost? I also need to let Princess know I'll be sailing solo. (His idea. I lost a parent, a sibling and my job of 25 years to a sell out, oh and we moved - please no judgement on that..I'd love to have him with me. His anxiety makes travel very difficult for him)....    Thanks so much. 

Do you both have insurance? And if so, is this an insurance covered cancellation?

If the answer to either of those questions is no, then your best option is to simply have your husband be a no-show for both the airline and the cruise.  Actually cancelling will get him zero refund and you could get charged a single fare surcharge.

If he is a no show then you might get credited with the port charges. There is no additional charge.

If he just cancels I would assume that it would be the same as a no show. You would be charged the double fare as a single and save one of the port charges. I am not sure if there would be any airfare savings.

If anyone has other experiences I would like to know.

Hello,  I am sorry to hear that your husband won't be cruising!

Okay, you mentioned EZair, but you didn't mention insurance.

I am not sure if It would make any difference on canceling with Princess, unless you booked the Princess insurance.  I think that if you are Platinum, the Princess Insurance should offer some coverage on their EZair.  (that is what I was told once)

Princess shouldn't charge you any additional,  but you might now be out the cost of his airfare that you have paid.

Depending on what the fare code is with Delta, you may be able to cancel his fare, and there would be a $200.00 cancellation fee.  The difference would be refunded to you.  Or, they might offer a credit for future flight(s)???   But, I think I am pretty sure about the $200.00 cancellation fee.  

If you have the insurance thru Princess, I would start by calling there.  If not, I don't t think Princess will be of any help.

If not, call Delta directly.  You should have tickets and a Delta confirmation code fully in your name,  which means you should be able to deal with them directly.

About sailing solo,  I do not really know, but in this case, I don't see how Princess can change and rebook you, charging you a double solo fare.  If you do not have Princess Insurance, they are not going to refund you any money, or a cruise credit.  So, you would still be paying both fares, either way.  But I don't see how they can refare at this point, charging you even more (three fares). You couldn't even book this cruise solo if your cabin category is showing sold out at this point.   I would call Princess and ask about that.  But, it might not matter if you go ahead and let them know that your husband is a no-show, and ask for credit for his port charges.

Edited by Wishing on a star

My wife and I have been in cancel situations before and fortunately we had our very competent travel agent work around it with princess.  We were able to cancel and book an alternate cruise without any financial repercussions.  

We had no insurance at the time.

• Like 2

My concern with calling Delta about the airfare is that your credit could be screwed up when Princess cancels your hubby’s reservation since the air was booked through them. I think you’ll need to cancel the whole thing through Princess. I don’t know for sure, though. Good luck, and I’m glad you’re going despite everything; you’ve well earned this cruise! 

I would call both Princess and Delta, unless they are Platinum and have the Princess insurance coverage.

Yes, it was booked thru Princess, but at some point, like at final payment date, aren't flights locked in and ticketed, and she would have an actual Delta booking confirmation code.   If this is the case, regarding the flights, I would def. make a call to Delta.

We had asked once, with HAL,  if we wanted to have our flights ticketed and locked in, and then we could call and use miles to upgrade to the premium comfort seating.  They indicated that, yes, we could do that.

Edited by Wishing on a star

2 hours ago, Eskylady said:

I also need to let Princess know I'll be sailing solo. (His idea. I lost a parent, a sibling and my job of 25 years to a sell out, oh and we moved - please no judgement on that..I'd love to have him with me. His anxiety makes travel very difficult for him)....    Thanks so much. 

Esklady, I completely understand where you're coming from. My story is nearly identical to yours. I'm solo on the same sailing (trying to regain my sanity) -- come join us on the roll call!

Paying for cruising solo is not getting a refund for no-show husband.  As some mentioned - and this has been posted many times on CC Princess threads - advise ship (Passenger Services) husband is a no-show and should receive refund of port taxes.

You are now subject to airline ticket rules and terms, so Delta rules on that one.  Check with Delta and their rules.  If there is ANY air credit to be had at all, I believe you do not want husband to be a no-show with the airline.  If you cannot find answer on website, just ask Delta rep a "What If" question.