Crappy AARP RC Gift Certs and New Reservations

As one who always stresses to "read the fine print"....I didn't and ended up with a stack of AARP RC Gift Certificates that I can't use on the cruise I currently have booked.  The good news is...it means another cruise is in my future. 

My question is...if I book a cruise using those gift certificates (not fully paid off) and then there is a price drop, can I take advantage of that or does the fact that I am using gift certificates somehow block me from that?

Thanks

2 hours ago, buzzard05 said:

My question is...if I book a cruise using those gift certificates (not fully paid off) and then there is a price drop, can I take advantage of that or does the fact that I am using gift certificates somehow block me from that?

Thanks

I see no reason why you would be precluded from taking advantage of a price drop because of how you paid. BTW, you should spend more time on these boards as this “glitch” has been brought up several times. 

2 minutes ago, gerif said:

I see no reason why you would be precluded from taking advantage of a price drop because of how you paid. BTW, you should spend more time on these boards as this “glitch” has been brought up several times. 

The sad thing is...I am on these boards all the time and just didn't take the time to read the issues.  I had used the AARP Carnival gift cards without issue and just "assumed" these were the same. 

....and you know what happens when you assume....you end up with a stack of AARP RC Gift Certificates.

1 minute ago, buzzard05 said:

The sad thing is...I am on these boards all the time and just didn't take the time to read the issues.  I had used the AARP Carnival gift cards without issue and just "assumed" these were the same. 

....and you know what happens when you assume....you end up with a stack of AARP RC Gift Certificates.

Yes, things work differently on different cruise lines. Glad you are taking this so well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gerif said:

Yes, things work differently on different cruise lines. Glad you are taking this so well. 

Well, like I said....I have another cruise in my future....so things could definitely be worse 🙂

I had MASSIVE problems with GCs this time around (we cruise about every 6 months, and have used GCs from "another" site for 2 years).  7 hours on the phone in < 1 week.  There's something screwy with their department right now.  What are you trying to do?

As for the price drop, I usually wait until a month before final payment before I apply them.  I have never had the price drop by more than the deposit (which they can refund back to a CC) and the remaining balance after the $250/$250/$250 game.

6 hours ago, mets123 said:

There is no glitch. The OP did not read the instructions before making the purchase.

Exactly....I just assumed they were like the Carnival cards I bought last year and eagerly gave AARP my money before reading the restrictions on the gift certificates (and it wasn't like it is in fine print...they have it plastered right where you buy them....so this is totally on me.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SeaPete said:

After using the certificates and booking directly with Royal, can you then transfer booking to a travel agent?

As long as the booking is less than 60 days old, and not paid in full, you can transfer.

58 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

As long as the booking is less than 60 days old, and not paid in full, you can transfer.

I have never transferred a booking to a TA.  What are the benefits of that?

Thanks

17 minutes ago, buzzard05 said:

I have never transferred a booking to a TA.  What are the benefits of that?

Thanks

Varies by travel agent.  Good service, no need to wait on hold for a Royal rep, some give perks such as OBC, gratuities, specialty restaurant, etc.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Varies by travel agent.  Good service, no need to wait on hold for a Royal rep, some give perks such as OBC, gratuities, specialty restaurant, etc.

Good to know.  I just always figured you had to initially book with them to get those perks.  Thank you!

3 minutes ago, buzzard05 said:

Good to know.  I just always figured you had to initially book with them to get those perks.  Thank you!

When you get to the point of considering a specific travel agent, make sure you ask them if they charge for price drops, changes, cancels, etc. Also if they have limits on the number of price drops they will process for you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, honeybunches said:

I purchase gift cards from "another" site and am able to use them towards the balance of my cruise on RCCL, even tho they state must be made toward a new reservation.  Is that what you are tryng to do?

I know you are trying to keep the website's name inconspicuous, however I am confused as to which type of card you are referring to? Is it a discounted card, or a non-discounted card?

They are Royal Caribbean Gift Cards, various amounts ranging from $50 to $200.  They are purchased from a gift card site.  I get a 7% rebate on them.  I then submit my gift cards to Royal Caribbean and they are applied as I send them.  No need for it to be a new booking.  I then take that 7%, turn it into cash in my paypal account, and turn around and buy another one when I accumulate enough.  Not much, but every little bit helps.  

19 minutes ago, cruisinghawg said:

But can you apply these cards to onboard credit once on board?

I don't believe so.

If you want OBC, better to call Royal directly and add OBC to your account.  Much less hassle.

@honeybunches Why can't you tell us the site? We openly discuss AARP and AllState programs on CC often. Is it a travel agent that offers the gift cards? Also, are what you purchase gift certificates or gift cards? The gift certificates have the limitations already mentioned. I did a quick search on google and the gift cards I found were only to be used for booking new cruises directly with RCCL or to add to your shipboard account.

Edited by JennyB1977

On 10/4/2019 at 4:48 AM, buzzard05 said:

Exactly....I just assumed they were like the Carnival cards I bought last year and eagerly gave AARP my money before reading the restrictions on the gift certificates (and it wasn't like it is in fine print...they have it plastered right where you buy them....so this is totally on me.)

I made the same mistake. I have 500 bucks sitting in a basket waiting to be used. I do group cruises through a company so I haven't been able to use them. I currently have one booked with RC in May of 2020 but because it was through a company I was SOL in using them. I guess one day I will use them. Lesson learned...the hard way.

• Like 1