First Time Cruiser Here...Please Help!

JustMe19

Which NCL ship do you recommend for a first time cruiser?  In watching videos, I am drawn to RC but they don't have the deals so to speak that NCL seems to have.  I am really nervous about being on a cruise ship (terrible fear of water) but they say "the things we do for love".  This is going to be a surprise birthday gift!  But I want to make sure I am not sick the entire time.  I have read that the best cabins are the cabins that are in the middle of the ship as you feel less movement.  I appreciate any help in deciding b/t NCL and RC.  I did look at NCL Pearl and I didn't like it.  Thanks for the help!

The bigger the ship, the less likely you are to feel movement - for NCL that would be the -Away class ships. Cruises out of the northeast in the winter can be a bit bumpy if there's winter storms. Cruises out of Florida can be bumpy if there's a hurricane (prime season is in Sept & Oct with it sometimes being in Aug & Nov too). My cruise out of Alaska in May had some movement when we were in the open sea. The Oasis class on RCL are a lot large and consequently you feel the movement on them a lot less, but it's not a guarantee - I was on Oasis and one night was kept up by hangers in my closet banging around until the ship turned to a more favorable direction. 

The best cabins are mid ship and as low down as you can get for feeling no movement. I've been midship but on the upper decks and you still feel it. Some say they feel less sick they can see the ocean, which the -Away class ships have more opportunities for that, but it's not like the Oasis class are enclosed boxes they just have more interior no windows venues.

NCL is a more casual dress line. RCL still has formal nights, but they are a lot more relaxed than they used to be. 

NCL dining is all freestyle - dine when/where you want. RCL is still mostly set dining times where you eat at the same time every night and at the same table. They do have some anytime dining - you can pick the time and the table might not be the same but the dining room usually is. 

I think the entertainment is comparable between Oasis and -Away class - they both have Broadway shows. The activities vary, but both have options. I also feel the food is similar enough - there's some things I like more on RCL and others I like more on NCL. 

I wouldn't hesitate to book again on either, but NCL currently has cruises booked for me due to their studios and the included drink package - those combine to make NCL way more affordable. 

Edited by smplybcause

Where do you want to go on your cruise?  What do you want to do? 

Do you want to just explore places on your own, or do actual excursions? 

Do you just want a cruise to relax, or do you want a ship full of waterparks, games, adventure, etc?

First you need to decide those two things, and then find a ship.

I do have to say, however, if your fear of water is really terrible - you may not enjoy a cruise.  What if you have a panic attack when the ship leaves the dock?  They aren't going to turn around and drop you off.

No matter what you do - get travel insurance.  Make sure you get travel insurance that includes a "cancel for any reason" option.  It will be expensive, but will save you money if you back out.

1 minute ago, www3traveler said:

Try one of the larger ships that have Studio Cabins--  they are basically an Inside cabin on the upper decks.  I have cruised a number of times in a Studio and rarely felt the movement of the ship.

Considering they said "the things we do for love" and it being a surprise, I'm guessing they're going to go with a significant other. 

1 minute ago, www3traveler said:

Try one of the larger ships that have Studio Cabins--  they are basically an Inside cabin on the upper decks.  I have cruised a number of times in a Studio and rarely felt the movement of the ship.

Studio cabins only hold one person.   The OP is getting this as a surprise birthday gift - and they are going as well.   It sounds like two people are traveling.

18 minutes ago, trivimp said:

What was it that you didn't like about the Pearl?  Your response may help folks target your preferences more accurately.

It was just an overall feeling I got while looking at the ship.  There wasn't anything about it that said "wow, I can't wait to get on that ship" or "this ship looks like fun."

18 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

The bigger the ship, the less likely you are to feel movement - for NCL that would be the -Away class ships. Cruises out of the northeast in the winter can be a bit bumpy if there's winter storms. Cruises out of Florida can be bumpy if there's a hurricane (prime season is in Sept & Oct with it sometimes being in Aug & Nov too). My cruise out of Alaska in May had some movement when we were in the open sea. The Oasis class on RCL are a lot large and consequently you feel the movement on them a lot less, but it's not a guarantee - I was on Oasis and one night was kept up by hangers in my closet banging around until the ship turned to a more favorable direction. 

The best cabins are mid ship and as low down as you can get for feeling no movement. I've been midship but on the upper decks and you still feel it. Some say they feel less sick they can see the ocean, which the -Away class ships have more opportunities for that, but it's not like the Oasis class are enclosed boxes they just have more interior no windows venues.

NCL is a more casual dress line. RCL still has formal nights, but they are a lot more relaxed than they used to be. 

NCL dining is all freestyle - dine when/where you want. RCL is still mostly set dining times where you eat at the same time every night and at the same table. They do have some anytime dining - you can pick the time and the table might not be the same but the dining room usually is. 

I think the entertainment is comparable between Oasis and -Away class - they both have Broadway shows. The activities vary, but both have options. I also feel the food is similar enough - there's some things I like more on RCL and others I like more on NCL. 

I wouldn't hesitate to book again on either, but NCL currently has cruises booked for me due to their studios and the included drink package - those combine to make NCL way more affordable. 

Thank you for the info!  I do live in the Northeast and would be leaving in March.  But with NCL offering free flights, I would fly out of any of the ports in Florida.  I live in NJ and could leave from Bayonne but since it will be March, I fear the waters may still be choppy and if mother nature is in a mood, she may decide to rain on my parade so to speak.  I was thinking of getting a balcony room in the hopes of it helping with me not feeling like I am in a confined space.  I am excited but fearful at the same time.

16 minutes ago, DinaS said:

Studio cabins only hold one person.   The OP is getting this as a surprise birthday gift - and they are going as well.   It sounds like two people are traveling.

Yes, there will be two of us 🙂 

20 minutes ago, DinaS said:

Where do you want to go on your cruise?  What do you want to do? 

Do you want to just explore places on your own, or do actual excursions? 

Do you just want a cruise to relax, or do you want a ship full of waterparks, games, adventure, etc?

First you need to decide those two things, and then find a ship.

I do have to say, however, if your fear of water is really terrible - you may not enjoy a cruise.  What if you have a panic attack when the ship leaves the dock?  They aren't going to turn around and drop you off.

No matter what you do - get travel insurance.  Make sure you get travel insurance that includes a "cancel for any reason" option.  It will be expensive, but will save you money if you back out.

I would like to go to Key West, or the Virgin Islands.  The cruise is only going to be 3-5 days long. Something small.  Since it is just my b/f and I we do not need the waterparks, etc.  Mainly going to just relax.  We love to hike and sight see and the majority of our vacations have had some hiking in them.  We don't mind walking and sightseeing.  I have thought about the panic attacks.  Just last night I started thinking about possibly cruising to an Island and then flying home.  That way once off the ship, I won't have to worry about getting back on it (assuming I have a bad experience while on it).  I am like a hamster on the wheel for the past month 😞 

22 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Considering they said "the things we do for love" and it being a surprise, I'm guessing they're going to go with a significant other. 

Yes, me and my b/f.  He is fine in the water - me not so much.  

We love cruising out of New Orleans.  You could do a day or so before and/or after and see the city.

When choosing a cabin be sure to look at the deck plans and see what is above and below your cabin.  Try to pick one that has cabins above and below to reduce the chance of noise.

I suffer from slight claustrophobia so I really need a balcony cabin.

Be careful of the "free" offers on NCL.  They sometimes have added on "gratuities" that makes them far from free.

Just now, gooch47 said:

We love cruising out of New Orleans.  You could do a day or so before and/or after and see the city.

When choosing a cabin be sure to look at the deck plans and see what is above and below your cabin.  Try to pick one that has cabins above and below to reduce the chance of noise.

Be careful of the "free" offers on NCL.  They sometimes have added on "gratuities" that makes them far from free.

Oops.  I don't think NCL offers anything less than 7 days out of NOLA.

7 minutes ago, JustMe19 said:

I would like to go to Key West, or the Virgin Islands.  The cruise is only going to be 3-5 days long. Something small.  Since it is just my b/f and I we do not need the waterparks, etc.  Mainly going to just relax.  We love to hike and sight see and the majority of our vacations have had some hiking in them.  We don't mind walking and sightseeing.  I have thought about the panic attacks.  Just last night I started thinking about possibly cruising to an Island and then flying home.  That way once off the ship, I won't have to worry about getting back on it (assuming I have a bad experience while on it).  I am like a hamster on the wheel for the past month 😞 

So limiting it to 3-5 days will greatly limit your options ship wise. Except for a few rare exceptions, all the big ships on NCL & RCL are 7 day cruises. You also can't get to the Virgin Islands from Florida in 5 days or less (at least I've never seen a cruise that short head out there). For 3/4 day cruises RCL will have the better ships - they made a big change to shift slightly bigger ships to the 3/4 day routes and amped them. They're a decent size, but a bit smaller than NCL's -Away class (and look like babies next to Oasis, but the -Away class kinda does too lol).

Also, you're likely locked into going to the Bahamas - which usually includes the private islands. There might be a few exceptions though since a lot of ships winter in Florida. 

BTW - if you cruise to an island and then fly home you'll still have to pay for the entire cost of the cruise. And assuming the cruise ship is ok with it, they'll probably charge you a fee for doing so. 

1 hour ago, JustMe19 said:

Thank you for the info!  I do live in the Northeast and would be leaving in March.  But with NCL offering free flights, I would fly out of any of the ports in Florida.  I live in NJ and could leave from Bayonne but since it will be March, I fear the waters may still be choppy and if mother nature is in a mood, she may decide to rain on my parade so to speak.  I was thinking of getting a balcony room in the hopes of it helping with me not feeling like I am in a confined space.  I am excited but fearful at the same time.

March is Spring Break season, just to mention it.  Fewer bargains.  But more Spring Breakers!

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

Thank you!  I will be leaving from any of the FL ports or Bayonne.  

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

So limiting it to 3-5 days will greatly limit your options ship wise. Except for a few rare exceptions, all the big ships on NCL & RCL are 7 day cruises. You also can't get to the Virgin Islands from Florida in 5 days or less (at least I've never seen a cruise that short head out there). For 3/4 day cruises RCL will have the better ships - they made a big change to shift slightly bigger ships to the 3/4 day routes and amped them. They're a decent size, but a bit smaller than NCL's -Away class (and look like babies next to Oasis, but the -Away class kinda does too lol).

Also, you're likely locked into going to the Bahamas - which usually includes the private islands. There might be a few exceptions though since a lot of ships winter in Florida. 

BTW - if you cruise to an island and then fly home you'll still have to pay for the entire cost of the cruise. And assuming the cruise ship is ok with it, they'll probably charge you a fee for doing so. 

I am learning I am probably stuck with the Bahamas.  There is a 5 night Celebrity that leaves from Miami and cruises to Cozumel and Key West.  And another ship that is 4 nights from Miami to Cozumel.  But I really don't know anything about Celebrity and they are also running a special with the air right now.

I've been blessed enough to cruise out of NY in March the past 2 years. Both on the NCL Gem. A "midsize" ship.  Last year's 10 day Southern Caribbean was remarkably smooth. It felt like a lake 9 out of 10 days. The weather started and ended a bit chilly but 8 out of 10 days were warm enough to drink al fresco. I say try it! Winter/Spring cruising out of NY is my favorite. Low prices, limited kids, and an escape from the cold. 

If you had any other questions feel free to ask. We are going on a 12 day winter. NYC sailing in January just to have a snowy cruise. Lol

• Like 2

As much as I like NCL, if you are looking for a shorter cruise I highly recommend RCL  The best ones are Mariner of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas and Independence of the Seas. All have been updated with new features and restaurants. We tend to stay away from shorter cruises, but my SIL recently went on Mariner and had a blast. We have been on both Mariner and Navigator when they were new and loved them. They all have numerous 3 to 5 day cruises in March. I would recommend either a balcony cabin or an inside With the big window looking down on the inside promenade area where a lot of the action takes place. 

We cruise out of Florida a lot and it is usually very calm and you don’t even feel the ship moving. I also highly recommend trip insurance. March is Spring Break and the shorter cruises attract more kids so things may be more lively. As far as fear of being on the ship is concerned, think about the fact that you are willing to fly and being on a cruise ship is 1000 times more relaxing, at least for me😁 .

Go for a big ship like the Excape, Bliss, Joy, Breakaway, etc. You will be fine once you get on and probably won't even remember you're on the water once you get going.

I take some cruises without ever getting off the ship in ports, and you might feel it even less if you just stay on board the whole time because your body might not perceive the contrast of being on the ship vs. being on land.

Strange as it sounds, the worst feeling - IF its going to happen, and usually it does not - but if it DOES, it usually comes once you're on land for a few hours after the cruise is over and lasts for a few days (nausea). You can take anti-nauseants from the drug store for that (they do work. Some people find the few days post-cruise a little uncomfortable but it won't kill you or anything.

1 hour ago, JustMe19 said:

I am learning I am probably stuck with the Bahamas.  There is a 5 night Celebrity that leaves from Miami and cruises to Cozumel and Key West.  And another ship that is 4 nights from Miami to Cozumel.  But I really don't know anything about Celebrity and they are also running a special with the air right now.

Celebrity is Royal's slightly upscale line. It has less of the fun stuff Royal & NCL have if you go on their newer ships. I believe it skews slightly older, but definitely more fancy on the dress code and such. It won't be as fun party focused as NCL or Royal will be on the shorter cruises. 

If I could have had advice on my very first cruise that would have made a difference it would have been this:

Spend less time worrying about what cruise line and more time thinking about the itinerary.  Make sure they're places you're not going to hate.  The experience is way more important than the 10 hours you'll spend sleeping on the ship every day.  The on board experiences are great.  But if you remember the ship more than where it took you, in my opinion you're doing it wrong.

You can very much get sea sick indeed.  It depends on two things, the person and the position.  Best place to avoid sickness is close to the center of gravity, so middle of the ship and lower floors.  Take Dramamine.  If you can't find the kind that doesn't cause drowsiness take one the day before you leave, then don't dose yourself until you get back to the ship from your first day off.  You don't want to be falling asleep while you're standing in front of 3000 year old antiquities.

Tropical vacations for swimming are nice.  But is that really a cruise vacation?  I mean unless you're absolutely sold on the Hawaiian Islands or the Caymans, make sure you're not just picturing a nice day at the beach.  Because you can do that for much less.  Think about whether you're first experience should be a little more life changing.  (Europe, the birth of Civilization, your family roots, that kind of thing.)

Finally, ignore everything I just said, and ignore all of the other commenters as well, and just buy a cruise and go.  The journey is the destination.

1 hour ago, SolocruiserMA said:

I've been blessed enough to cruise out of NY in March the past 2 years. Both on the NCL Gem. A "midsize" ship.  Last year's 10 day Southern Caribbean was remarkably smooth. It felt like a lake 9 out of 10 days. The weather started and ended a bit chilly but 8 out of 10 days were warm enough to drink al fresco. I say try it! Winter/Spring cruising out of NY is my favorite. Low prices, limited kids, and an escape from the cold. 

If you had any other questions feel free to ask. We are going on a 12 day winter. NYC sailing in January just to have a snowy cruise. Lol

I think we were on that same Gem cruise last year!  We couldn't believe how smooth the sailing was.  On the other hand, a couple of years before that, we also left in March - also on the Gem 9 day from NY.  It had just snowed, and it was really cold, and nowhere as smooth for the first two days.  Coming back it was also a bit rough.

You just never know!