Preorder liquor vs onboard?

jb008

I'm poking through the beverage options on the online booking site and noticed that the liquor descriptions say "1 liter" on a lot of the prepurchase.  Can anyone confirm whether these are in fact "1 liter bottles"?  I haven't prebought liquor before, but historically I thought these were usu. described as 350-375 mL bottles (and some of the things they advertise as 1L are generally not offered in that quantity at your local liquor stores)?  Also, anyone know if this is the same (or at least similar) pricing onboard?  Thanks in advance!

The pricing on a lot of the bottles has a pretty high markup, but some aren't a bad deal at a 1L size.  For example, Crown Royal @ $53.75 and Bombay Sapphire @ $56.25.  I guess profit on most liquor would come from having to purchase the mixer to go with?

• Like 1

Yes the majority of the bottles you order for alcohol are 1 liter bottles.  

The prices are the same no matter when you buy the alcohol.  The price you see online includes the 15% gratuity.  On the ship you will see a lower price BUT that is before they add on the 15% gratuity.

Sometimes we buy our alcohol before the cruise.  If we have a lot of shipboard credit, then we wait until we are on the ship to order it.

• Thanks 1

If you order pre-cruise, you should mark it to be delivered while at sea, to save on sales tax in some ports.  It likely will be in your cabin when you board anyway (as its easier on the crew to do it ahead of time I think).

42 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

If you order pre-cruise, you should mark it to be delivered while at sea, to save on sales tax in some ports.  It likely will be in your cabin when you board anyway (as its easier on the crew to do it ahead of time I think).

Dave, do you know if there is additional tax for the San Diego port?  I have already ordered 3 bottles to be delivered on the first day.  Thank you.

3 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Dave, do you know if there is additional tax for the San Diego port?  I have already ordered 3 bottles to be delivered on the first day.  Thank you.

I do not know, but perhaps someone else on this board does.  If no response, I would post a new topic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

We weren’t charged tax when we sailed from there.  In fact, when I pre-ordered for our cruise, there was no option for ‘delivery at sea’.

I’ve since noticed that when there is no tax, the options are “cabin’ or MDR.

If you check your options (pretend you are buying again) and there is no “at sea” delivery option then you should be good to go.

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

We weren’t charged tax when we sailed from there.  In fact, when I pre-ordered for our cruise, there was no option for ‘delivery at sea’.

I’ve since noticed that when there is no tax, the options are “cabin’ or MDR.

If you check your options (pretend you are buying again) and there is no “at sea” delivery option then you should be good to go.

It appears every day is an option.  This is a 51 day cruise.  Thank you!

37 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

It appears every day is an option.  This is a 51 day cruise.  Thank you!

Absolutely, every day is an option 😄 

Most have it delivered on embarkation day and that was the day I meant to check.

Sounds like you are on the Tales of the South Pacific - have a wonderful time 😄 

• Like 1

I can see that if you just order a bottle of liquor it is 1 litre but it looks as if the bottles in the drink packages (liquor and mix) are less than 1 litre and probably 750ml. Can anyone confirm please?

I'm looking at our reservation and there are only 4 spirit packages w/mix we can order and the liquor amount matches the standalone amount (Stoli, Jim Beam, Bacardi White all come in 1 liter bottle in standalone or w/mixer; the only one I can't check is Bombay Original because I only see it in a package with a 1 liter bottle but the Bombay Sapphire standalone is a 1 liter which makes me think the Original will be a 1 liter standalone as well).

2 hours ago, zelker said:

I'm looking at our reservation and there are only 4 spirit packages w/mix we can order and the liquor amount matches the standalone amount (Stoli, Jim Beam, Bacardi White all come in 1 liter bottle in standalone or w/mixer; the only one I can't check is Bombay Original because I only see it in a package with a 1 liter bottle but the Bombay Sapphire standalone is a 1 liter which makes me think the Original will be a 1 liter standalone as well).

On my cruise account it says:

BOMBAY ORIGINAL GIN & TONIC PACKAGE
Enjoy a bottle of Bombay Original and three cans of tonic water. Delivered to your stateroom on embarkation day for in-stateroom consumption only. A 15% service charge is automatically added to bar charges and dining room wine purchases and is included in the price of the item. Bottle size is 1 liter.