Progressive Check-In Policy

Sun&Sand52

Normally they are ready to go by 10:00. However, we've had to line up outside of the terminal in the past.  I think we arrived around 10:30, and waited maybe 10 minutes. I don't recall how many ships were in port that day, but I do recall being hot and looking for shade.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:47 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is like some kind of state secret. If you ask anyone about it, you're told that lunch is in the Lido. I remember sitting in the MDR having lunch and hearing the CD announce that the Lido was open for lunch. There was still time to be seated in the MDR, but he didn't mention it in any of his announcements. I can understand not announcing it in the days when it was just for Mariners. Now it's supposedly open to all passengers, but in reality it's open only to those who know about it. 

I completely agree!  On our cruise last year we boarded and the crew kept saying the standard, "Lunch in the Lido!"  My DH and I had to go to the front desk for something and asked the lady who helped us if the MDR was open for lunch.  She picked up the Navigator, turned to the back, looked at the print, looked at us and said "NO, only the Lido."  Her action was so exaggerated, it was clear to me she knew otherwise, so that was kind of a bummer.  Since we've been around a time or two, we figured we'd mosey on by the MDR and what do you know, it was open for lunch. 

I'm not sure why management is instructing crew to tell people it's not open when it is - there were very few people in there when we went.  But I certainly prefer to have a relaxing lunch on embarkation day with friendly service and a lovely bottle of wine!  The Lido is a mad house.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:45 AM, davy jones said:

My flight arrives in FLL at 8:55AM.  Taking into account luggage pick up, we should arrive at the pier around 9:30.  I know we will have to wait to board.  Is this a going to be a problem.

If your flight arrives at 8:55, you will be lucky to have your checked luggage by 9:30, much less already be at the pier.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 11:56 PM, Shih-tzu said:

Not overly convenient for those of us that must vacate our hotel rooms by 11:00am.   Where can you really go with all your luggage, etc.??  

Definitely an issue that we've had to deal with.  Ask the hotel for a late check-out time, or hopefully the hotel has a nice lobby where you can hang.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 8:35 PM, OmarOak said:

It sounds like how this plays out is Port dependent.

From Ft. Lauderdale earlier this year, sailing on K'Dam, we arrived at Noon and the check-in line was over an hour long. The process was laborious and check-in was very understaffed. We were able to get on board at about 1:45. Check-in was the only significant disappointment on an otherwise great cruise.

The last time we sailed on HAL (Apr 2017), we had to stand and wait until all pax with more stars (4 and 5, I believe, and many of them arrived after we did) had checked in.  I wouldn't have minded so much if they had offered a seat to us with fewer stars.  Prior notice of this practice would have also been appreciated so we could at least wait in some comfort at our hotel.