Best Food?

cruisinaz

13 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Best of luck with that strategy. In retirement, we vary between silver and gold Mileage Plus and only occasionally will we ever get that upgrade unless we hit it on the first day or two of availability. I was a 1K while working and even that TODAY gets you not much more than a smile.

With the recent change to dynamic pricing for mileage points use, everyone I know (including us) is trying to unload their accumulated  points ASAP.

I've already booked E+ which isn't the end of the world.  So far the intl segments are quite open, i.e., 30+ seats per so I'm going to hope.  But enough red wine and and an Ambien will be find.  But I sure would love to experience that Polaris  J 🙂

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Was the dough prepared with #1 imported semolina? And was the sauce made fresh with imported San Marzano tomatoes (sorry, even the California ones pale in comparison)? Only Pecorino? Perhaps a blend of Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino would have been more balanced?

i do agree, however, that the last place to order/eat pizza is on a cruise ship (though Oceania does use the ingredients I mentioned.)

Yes and yes and yes.  LOL  I guess at this point I'll go ahead and admit that I'm a bit of a food snob.  It doesn't have to cost a bunch of money but I want it to be  super good.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I've already booked E+ which isn't the end of the world.  So far the intl segments are quite open, i.e., 30+ seats per so I'm going to hope.  But enough red wine and and an Ambien will be find.  But I sure would love to experience that Polaris  J 🙂

See if they have the new Premium Plus, which is basically old "bizclass," i.e., everything but the lay flat seats at 1/3 the cost of bizclass.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

See if they have the new Premium Plus, which is basically old "bizclass," i.e., everything but the lay flat seats at 1/3 the cost of bizclass.

Will  do.  Thanks.

OT: we sold a house last year and rewarded ourselves with biz class on the upper deck of the 747 from SEA/FRA.  

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes and yes and yes.  LOL  I guess at this point I'll go ahead and admit that I'm a bit of a food snob.  It doesn't have to cost a bunch of money but I want it to be  super good.

There's a three way standard of quality for Americanized versions of true Neapolitan pizza: 

DiFara's in Brooklyn, Lombardy's in Manhattan's Little Italy and the flagship original Regina Pizzerina in Boston's North End.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 11:50 PM, George C said:

I find most of the main stream lines pretty similar and pretty mediocre, we eat most of our meals in specialty or suite restaurants. I do think rccl is decent. 

Oddly of the four cruise lines I've sailed on , they were the worst by a very, very long stretch.  Often served lukewarm, uninspired, and with poor quality ingredients.  

On 10/9/2019 at 2:43 AM, wowzz said:

No, food is OK, but not great. To which other lines are you comparing Celebrity ?

I'd also say that much depends on the nationality of the cruiser with regards to determining the quality of the cuisine. Americans,  for example, seem to set great store by the quality of the Pizza on board, whereas I consider it to be a food for children and couldn't care less about it.

I love good pizza (think Rome), but would never expect pizza served on a cruise ship to be edible, let alone good.

Edited by ducklite

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There's a three way standard of quality for Americanized versions of true Neapolitan pizza: 

DiFara's in Brooklyn, Lombardy's in Manhattan's Little Italy and the flagship original Regina Pizzerina in Boston's North End.

DiFara’s had great pizza but so did Lenny and John’s .I ate a lot of pizza in Manhattan’s Little Italy over the years as well as pizza in Boston.

Honestly. The pizza is just there for a snack innit?

Its a free bit of food between the main food, when you just fancy a little something.

It fills a hole, and isnt designed to be disected like its michelin standard fare.

A few beers and a slice of pizza. Job done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Honestly. The pizza is just there for a snack innit?

Its a free bit of food between the main food, when you just fancy a little something.

It fills a hole, and isnt designed to be disected like its michelin standard fare.

A few beers and a slice of pizza. Job done.

Have you ever had pizza in Rome?  

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Was the dough prepared with #1 imported semolina? And was the sauce made fresh with imported San Marzano tomatoes

I don't know about the first one but the second one yes.  We've even bought their flour.  And the tomatoes are available also.  We make our own at home with these ingredients.  And we have the Ooni pizza oven that can get to 800 degrees.   So, yeah, we can be pizza snobs 🙂

45 minutes ago, clo said:

I don't know about the first one but the second one yes.  We've even bought their flour.  And the tomatoes are available also.  We make our own at home with these ingredients.  And we have the Ooni pizza oven that can get to 800 degrees.   So, yeah, we can be pizza snobs 🙂

San Marzano is a variety of tomato not a brand (that would sell flour).

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

DiFara’s had great pizza but so did Lenny and John’s .I ate a lot of pizza in Manhattan’s Little Italy over the years as well as pizza in Boston.

Recently, during a port stop on our north Atlantic crossing we made a beeline straight for Regina pizzeria in Boston. Two of us finished An entire 16 inch pizza. Yum!