Best Food?

cruisinaz

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I still dont get this thread. Who decides what food is the best?

You do, I do, everyone gets to decide for themselves and then share their opinions.  Sharing an opinion doesn't mean you think it's the best for everyone, just that it's the best for you.  Best food doesn't mean fancy food, it means tasty, fresh, and well prepared.  That might be mac & cheese or a burger with fries, or it might be Oysters Rockefeller or Duck L'Orange. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, cruisinaz said:

meanwhile a well traveled may find the new Ritz Carlton to be the best.

It's sounding like it will be another year or longer before anyone finds out, as the ship is terribly delayed and over budget.

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

Americans,  for example, seem to set great store by the quality of the Pizza on board,

Pizza here in the US - at least on the coasts - has become a really big deal.  Some of the wood-fired ovens are crazy good.  We have all different sorts of pizzas, toppings, doughs, you name it.  Having said that I can't imagine eating it on a cruise.  There's just no way they could possibly compare.  Well, maybe on an Italian line 🙂

20191008_124124.jpg

20190924_130103 - Edited.jpg

22 hours ago, cruisinaz said:

If you picked a cruise line purely because of the best food...which would you pick?

As others have noted, very subjective question.  Also, on mass market lines you have great differences in quality between MDR and specialty.  I think a more interesting question would be which cruise line eatery has the worst food.  Now that's a topic to have fun with! 🙂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

You do, I do, everyone gets to decide for themselves and then share their opinions.  Sharing an opinion doesn't mean you think it's the best for everyone, just that it's the best for you.  Best food doesn't mean fancy food, it means tasty, fresh, and well prepared.  That might be mac & cheese or a burger with fries, or it might be Oysters Rockefeller or Duck L'Orange. 

Exactly!  Yes I opened a thread that is subjective...I wanted peoples opinions and am responsible enough to know they are just that-opinions.   

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cunard had the best food overall of any ship I have cruised on.

Was there something that really made their food stand out? And considering your current disability I'm guessing that was quite some time ago?

Edited by clo

1 minute ago, clo said:

Was there something that really made their food stand out? And considering your current disability I'm guessing that was quite some time ago?

I mis stayed something to you a few days ago.In January I am entering my ninth decade of life.

Yes ,it was some time ago but that has no bearing on disability.

It was a 7 day cruise and every meal was delicious.

13 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Neat and tidy food in all sorts of ridiculous colours doesnt make it better than Steak and fries.

Some fast food restaurant's frozen formed fries are a far cry from fresh cut, twice fried (in duck fat) King Edward potatoes. And steak can be USDA prime or something else. Even then, there's skill involved in preparing even just "steak and fries".

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Some fast food restaurant's frozen formed fries are a far cry from fresh cut, twice fried (in duck fat) King Edward potatoes. And steak can be USDA prime or something else. Even then, there's skill involved in preparing even just "steak and fries".

Yep.  Shall you come to our house or we to yours?  🙂

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No - just someone who wants to spare fellow passengers the "stinky side eye."

I wish there were a PM ability here.  But you clearly have an airline background.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Professionally or personally, I mostly use airlines to get to a ship.

To keep this even remotely on-topic 🙂 we waitlisted with $$$ and point for business class to S. America on UA.  SFO/IAH/GIG Polaris business and return from EZE/IAH/SFO.  Fingers crossed.  Two months out and it's looking good.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Pizza here in the US - at least on the coasts - has become a really big deal.  Some of the wood-fired ovens are crazy good.  We have all different sorts of pizzas, toppings, doughs, you name it.  Having said that I can't imagine eating it on a cruise.  There's just no way they could possibly compare.  Well, maybe on an Italian line 🙂

20191008_124124.jpg

20190924_130103 - Edited.jpg

What's with "the coasts?" Though few and far between, there's great "real" pizza all over the US? But, they usually stay true to their Neapolitan or Sicilian roots. 

BTW, what's with the "toppings?" Any kid from Brooklyn will tell you that there's "red" (marghareita or maybe one home prepared meat sausage topping) and "white" (clams) pizza.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

To keep this even remotely on-topic 🙂 we waitlisted with $$$ and point for business class to S. America on UA.  SFO/IAH/GIG Polaris business and return from EZE/IAH/SFO.  Fingers crossed.  Two months out and it's looking good.

Best of luck with that strategy. In retirement, we vary between silver and gold Mileage Plus and only occasionally will we ever get that upgrade unless we hit it on the first day or two of availability. I was a 1K while working and even that TODAY gets you not much more than a smile.

With the recent change to dynamic pricing for mileage points use, everyone I know (including us) is trying to unload their accumulated  points ASAP.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What's with "the coasts?" Though few and far between, there's great "real" pizza all over the US? But, they usually stay true to their Neapolitan or Sicilian roots. 

BTW, what's with the "toppings?" Any kid from Brooklyn will tell you that there's "red" (marghareita or maybe one home prepared meat sausage topping) and "white" (clams) pizza.

I'm embarrassed  to admit that most of the middle of the country I haven't visited.  Re "toppings" the light one was prosciutto and shitake mushrooms and something else I can't remember.  The other one was "Pepperoni, sausage, salami, pepperoncini, aged pecorino.  Both cooked to order, a iittle extra crispy in wood fired ovens.  I can't imagine a cruise ship being able to do these.  No big deal  It just means that I wouldn't get them.

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

With the recent change to dynamic pricing for mileage points use, everyone I know (including us) is trying to unload their accumulated  points ASAP.

I've only read a little about this but, yeah, it's getting no good.  We actually paid for our RT S. American trip because IIRC economy would have been 200k miles.  No effing way.  Thanks for your help, FF.

Cath

12 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm embarrassed  to admit that most of the middle of the country I haven't visited.  Re "toppings" the light one was prosciutto and shitake mushrooms and something else I can't remember.  The other one was "Pepperoni, sausage, salami, pepperoncini, aged pecorino.  Both cooked to order, a iittle extra crispy in wood fired ovens.  I can't imagine a cruise ship being able to do these.  No big deal  It just means that I wouldn't get them.

Was the dough prepared with #1 imported semolina? And was the sauce made fresh with imported San Marzano tomatoes (sorry, even the California ones pale in comparison)? Only Pecorino? Perhaps a blend of Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino would have been more balanced?

"Wood fired?" Who cares? How about at least 750 degrees regardless if the heat source.

i do agree, however, that the last place to order/eat pizza is on a cruise ship (though Oceania does use the ingredients I mentioned.)

Edited by Flatbush Flyer