Best Food?

cruisinaz

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Recently, during a port stop on our north Atlantic crossing we made a beeline straight for Regina pizzeria in Boston. Two of us finished An entire 16 inch pizza. Yum!

You shared a pizza? 

That's just wrong.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I will take New York city tap water over a mountain spring water any day. 

The reality is that it's mountain spring water.  It flows from the High Peaks (Starting point is Lake Tear of the Clouds--if you visit near the end of the summer in the dry season it's nothing more than a small marsh) down into the Hudson via the Opalescent and downstream to the City.

12 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There's a three way standard of quality for Americanized versions of true Neapolitan pizza: 

DiFara's in Brooklyn, Lombardy's in Manhattan's Little Italy and the flagship original Regina Pizzerina in Boston's North End.

About 20 years ago I was in a small pizzeria in Albany ,NY that had great pizza.I also found good pizza in the Little Italy section of Cleveland and a pizzeria in Houston owned by two guys from Brooklyn.

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

and isnt the real home of Pizza Naples?

Yup, and I'll be there in a few weeks!  Earlier this week I had several pizza dinners in Padua, and it's really unlike any pizza I've had in the US or Canada -- even the so-called "thin crust" versions.   I don't even know how both of them can be called "pizza", though both are very good.   But that was Padovan pizza - I'll see if it's different in Napoli.  Or Genoa, the home of pesto and focaccia.

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

Yup, and I'll be there in a few weeks!  Earlier this week I had several pizza dinners in Padua, and it's really unlike any pizza I've had in the US or Canada -- even the so-called "thin crust" versions.   I don't even know how both of them can be called "pizza", though both are very good.   But that was Padovan pizza - I'll see if it's different in Napoli.  Or Genoa, the home of pesto and focaccia.

Wish I was there with you. I will be there in 245 days.or so.

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

San Marzano is a variety of tomato not a brand (that would sell flour).

Oh I know.  What I meant is that we've bought the restaurant's flour but I can buy San Marzano's here in Reno.  And they really are THE best.  IMneverHO of course.

I think cruise line food is pretty good in general.   Among RCI, Celebrity, & Princess I think the "best" of the three will change hands routinely.  They are all pretty much the same in my opinion. 

How to define the best comes back to the quality of ingredients and preparation.  Wanting medium rare vs medium well is subjective.  Getting medium well when you wanted medium rare is not subjective.  So, fresh & quality ingredients along with preparation -- whoever does those two the best is the best.  

PS: I don't think much of ship's pizza either.  Also don't think pizza in Italy is as good as what we have here in America (gasp!).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think cruise line food is pretty good in general.   Among RCI, Celebrity, & Princess I think the "best" of the three will change hands routinely.  They are all pretty much the same in my opinion. 

How to define the best comes back to the quality of ingredients and preparation.  Wanting medium rare vs medium well is subjective.  Getting medium well when you wanted medium rare is not subjective.  So, fresh & quality ingredients along with preparation -- whoever does those two the best is the best.  

PS: I don't think much of ship's pizza either.  Also don't think pizza in Italy is as good as what we have here in America (gasp!).

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Friends of ours who are native to Italy believe that there is nothing better than NY pizza.I cannot judge as I have never been there.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Friends of ours who are native to Italy believe that there is nothing better than NY pizza.I cannot judge as I have never been there.

Our latest land trip to Northern Italy just happened.  We referred to food as the 4 P's.  Pizza, Pasta, Panini, & Pesce.  Lol

PS: I prefer thin crust.  

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Our latest land trip to Northern Italy just happened.  We referred to food as the 4 P's.  Pizza, Pasta, Panini, & Pesce.  Lol

PS: I prefer thin crust.  

I laughed when reading this post because one of the 4 is the surname of a friend of mine from many years ago.

We prefer thin crust as well.

1 hour ago, clo said:

People say it's not the water that make NY bagels so wonderful but I don't believe them.

When it comes to anything with yeast, it's both the water and the micro-climate of the neighborhood it's being used in.

• Like 1

Water, yeast, flour even the difference in tomatoes😂. I honestly think if you blind tasted NY bagels with any other bagel no one would pick the difference. 

Good food to me is about how you put the ingredients together and balancing the flavours just right. In my experience once the ingredients have been cooked together you would be hard pressed to pick different tomato varieties. It is like people who think they can tell the difference between wine, even the "experts" when blind tasting can't tell which is red or white😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only pizza I ever had better than NYC was where it was conceived in Naples, love NYC food loved there until I was in my early 30’s , now visit yearly, used to fly back every other month for several years , me and many others returned with bagels, Italian bread and pastrami since we could not find any decent equivalent in Texas. 

12 minutes ago, George C said:

Only pizza I ever had better than NYC was where it was conceived in Naples, love NYC food loved there until I was in my early 30’s , now visit yearly, used to fly back every other month for several years , me and many others returned with bagels, Italian bread and pastrami since we could not find any decent equivalent in Texas. 

The best bagels I ever had close to where you are was Noah’s Bagels in Houston.However,the best ever for me personally is Bell Bagel’s in Canarsie,Brooklyn.

24 minutes ago, George C said:

We have a favorite place in Seattle, where we visit several times a year, does Napolitano pizza and it is, hands down, our fave.  When we go to NYC we bring home two or three dozen bagels from Absolute Bagels on what I call the Upper Upper West Side ) And for Father's Day I order for Bob from Katz's pastrami, knobblewurst, mustard and bagels (from H&H).  What a feast.  We love NYC most especially for the food.

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The best bagels I ever had close to where you are was Noah’s Bagels in Houston.However,the best ever for me personally is Bell Bagel’s in Canarsie,Brooklyn.

Just an fyi.  Noah's Bagels is a national chain and is now part of Einstein Bagels neither of which I've tried.  But we have Einstein's here so I'll have to try ONE 🙂

1 minute ago, clo said:

Just an fyi.  Noah's Bagels is a national chain and is now part of Einstein Bagels neither of which I've tried.  But we have Einstein's here so I'll have to try ONE 🙂

1 minute ago, clo said:

I know that it is part of a chain. If you ever have the opportunity to eat a Bell bagel you,I believe will agree with me that it is the absolute best.

l

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I know that it is part of a chain. If you ever have the opportunity to eat a Bell bagel you,I believe will agree with me that it is the absolute best.

l

Okey dokey.  And get someone to bring you one from Absolute Bagels.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-guide/new-york-city/restaurants/absolute-bagels