Britannia Caribbean formal nights

4lin

Could anyone tell me if many ladies wear full length evening gowns on the formal nights ?  Just thinking about the weight as this is the first fly cruise for us - only cruised from Southampton on the Queens where weight isn't an issue.  

You will see a mixture of full length dresses, cocktail dresses and even very smart separates. My best advice would be to wear what you feel most comfortable in which meets the dress code and what you can accommodate in your luggage, and have a fabulous time! 

Thank you everyone.  I like wearing long dresses but they are quite a bit heavier than my cocktail dresses so I suppose it would be more practical to just take those for this cruise. 

As table lamp says above there are ways to cut your luggage weight to fit in your dresses (or better yet get the person you are travelling with to cut back on what they are taking 😈)

Try for example buying all your toiletries at the airport after passport control. That alone would be enough weight for a long frock.

Thank you all.  I've now changed my mind and decided I will take my long ones!  I usually wear cocktail dresses on non formal nights so wearing long makes the formal nights feel that bit more special.  Taken on board (no pun I intended ) all your comments about weight so will stop worrying.  My other half has decided to take just one dinner suit instead of his usual two,  I much appreciate his sacrifice and pray he doesn't suffer any sartorial disasters!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4lin said:

Thank you all.  I've now changed my mind and decided I will take my long ones!  I usually wear cocktail dresses on non formal nights so wearing long makes the formal nights feel that bit more special.  Taken on board (no pun I intended ) all your comments about weight so will stop worrying.  My other half has decided to take just one dinner suit instead of his usual two,  I much appreciate his sacrifice and pray he doesn't suffer any sartorial disasters!!

A good man making a sacrifice for the sake of elegance.

1 hour ago, 4lin said:

He could save more weight if he wore his Dinner Suit on the flight - it would add a certain amount of class to the flight!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Have to disagree with dgs1956 about not many ladies wearing long dresses. On all our cruises there have been a great number. I always enjoy the opportunity as not many at home these days. Long formal, short cocktail dress, jumpsuit all fine - wear what you want and enjoy.

37 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Have to disagree with dgs1956 about not many ladies wearing long dresses. On all our cruises there have been a great number. I always enjoy the opportunity as not many at home these days. Long formal, short cocktail dress, jumpsuit all fine - wear what you want and enjoy.

I have been on 7 P&O cruises in the Caribbean and there were definitely not a "great number" of full length evening gowns. The point is though that the lady should wear what she wants.

It maybe depends on the time of year , we’ve done quite a few xmas & New year Caribbean cruises when certainly id say more than 50% wore long dresses. Also in January and February there were enough long dresses worn for them not to look out of place. Lots of good advice already... wear what you feel suits you best and fits the theme of the evening and you won’t go far wrong😃

I must agree with dgs1956 in that long evening gowns have been in the minority on all our cruises even on Cunard.  Those that do usually look stunning, as do most people on formal nights.

I think its a shame that new cruisers worry about formal nights and long dresses etc.  I did.. but everyone seems to join in with the formal nights but not necessarily in full ball gown mode.

As for myself.  I haven't worn a skirt for 20 years.  I usually wear black evening trousers with some kind of chiffony top and BLING.. just up the bling.  It really doesn't matter if its from Aspreys or Primarni.. just some nice sparkly bling.

I love the comments in the lifts ie "Don't we all scrub up well" and the penguin jokes of course!!!!

• Like 1

I am taking some long formal gowns with me next year when we sail on Iona as well as some shorter dresses and chiffony jumpsuits. Never cruised before and I'm hoping I wont stick out like a sore thumb in my long frocks and bling 😁

• Like 1

SarahHben I'm sure you won't.  I've only done Cunard where lots of women dress full length and bling which is why I was asking about P&O. Looking on Youtube at video clips of formal nights I saw many in long dresses, that, and the encouraging comments Igot for my post decided me to take long for formal nights and knee length cocktail dresses for all the other nights just like I do on the Queens

I love to dress up against all the nights at home in jeans front of the box! 🥂🍾😊

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 4lin said:

SarahHben I'm sure you won't.  I've only done Cunard where lots of women dress full length and bling which is why I was asking about P&O. Looking on Youtube at video clips of formal nights I saw many in long dresses, that, and the encouraging comments Igot for my post decided me to take long for formal nights and knee length cocktail dresses for all the other nights just like I do on the Queens

I love to dress up against all the nights at home in jeans front of the box! 🥂🍾😊

Thank you. The dressing up is part of the 'cruise image' that I've been waiting 30 years for - it's taken that long to persuade my hubby to try a cruise!

• Like 1